Like us on Facebook


Follow us on Twitter





Page 22 of 24 FirstFirst ... 122021222324 LastLast
Results 316 to 330 of 353
  1. #316
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    15,143
    vCash
    1500
    A pitcher making 13 million a year wouldn't be so hard to trade, so I definitely don't think the bonus has anything to do with that.

  2. #317
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    44,343
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by KyleJRM View Post
    You can also use the money you saved, with interest, to pick up his salary and make him more tradeable.

    As long as MLB doesn't have literal cap room that you can't carry over, this line of thinking will remain incorrect.
    I'm willing to bet that if Soriano was LITERALLY making, in the last two years of his deal, $5million per season, he would be gone. I don't think the money is as simple as 'well here's cash to cover it!' to other teams. Sure he's being paid for but I just don't think other teams look at it in quote that same way.

    And then. He made them pancakes.

  3. #318
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Detroit
    Posts
    2,595
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by Doogolas View Post
    I'm willing to bet that if Soriano was LITERALLY making, in the last two years of his deal, $5million per season, he would be gone. I don't think the money is as simple as 'well here's cash to cover it!' to other teams. Sure he's being paid for but I just don't think other teams look at it in quote that same way.
    I guess I've never really thought about it, but when you eat part of a player's salary in a trade, you're just sending money to cover it, right? So the other team is still technically taking on the full value of the contract as it relates to payroll and the luxury tax. Is that correct or am I completely off-base?

  4. #319
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    44,343
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by Rynoplasty View Post
    I guess I've never really thought about it, but when you eat part of a player's salary in a trade, you're just sending money to cover it, right? So the other team is still technically taking on the full value of the contract as it relates to payroll and the luxury tax. Is that correct or am I completely off-base?
    I have no idea how that kinda thing works. Sounds reasonable. I'm just saying that I don't think it's as simple as 'here's cash it's totally the same as him having a 2 year 10 million dollar deal.'

    And then. He made them pancakes.

  5. #320
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Detroit
    Posts
    2,595
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by Doogolas View Post
    I have no idea how that kinda thing works. Sounds reasonable. I'm just saying that I don't think it's as simple as 'here's cash it's totally the same as him having a 2 year 10 million dollar deal.'
    Well now I'm really curious to know how it works.

    That would explain why a team like the Yankees would be hesitant to trade for Sori even with us eating most of the contract, though. We can send a trunk full of cash with him, but they'd still technically be adding 18 million annual to their payroll while dealing with luxury tax issues.

  6. #321
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    1,495
    vCash
    1500
    I'm not sure of luxury tax implications. My guess is if the Yanks are interested in Vernon Wells(as has been rumored) the money can be set up to where the salary is still paid by the other team and it doesn't count towards it. That said, I do know this: Any and all money being sent over in a trade has to be paid in full within 18 months of the date the deal is made. So, if the first part of my statement IS correct, it'd be impossible to do, if the player had more than 2 years left on his deal. Hell, the deal would have to be a midseason deal actually. Players get paid bi-weekly throughout the year, so the ramifications of dealing Soriano or Wells on June 30th of 2013, would allow my scenario to work, in avoiding the luxury tax. If dealt before then, it likely is penalized for only the time outside of that 18 month window.

  7. #322
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Hometown of Jerry Hairston
    Posts
    51,267
    vCash
    1500
    Does anyone know if this Edwin Jackson press conference is going to be on CSN?

    Nevermind, here's a link http://www.csnchicago.com/live_cubs

  8. #323
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Hometown of Jerry Hairston
    Posts
    51,267
    vCash
    1500
    Edwin's wife is smokin' hot.

  9. #324
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Iowa
    Posts
    62,804
    vCash
    1500
    cubs facebook page just posted a picture of Jackson and the Cubs jersey.
    Not a lot of happy Cubs fans.
    My favorite comment is: " I would rather sign younger talent. This is a signing just to boost attendance."



    I don't think Jackson will be boosting attendance

  10. #325
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    North Suburbs Of Chicago
    Posts
    7,817
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by croce_99 View Post
    cubs facebook page just posted a picture of Jackson and the Cubs jersey.
    Not a lot of happy Cubs fans.
    My favorite comment is: " I would rather sign younger talent. This is a signing just to boost attendance."



    I don't think Jackson will be boosting attendance
    WOW...I guess there are some folks from here on that page then.
    We Found Bin Ladedn We found Saddam Hussien, We know who Shot JR. Where the hell is this Plane?????

  11. #326
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Iowa
    Posts
    62,804
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by ABE32 View Post
    WOW...I guess there are some folks from here on that page then.
    I read the first 50 comments and I think 90% were pissed off with the signing

  12. #327
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Iowa
    Posts
    62,804
    vCash
    1500

  13. #328
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    15,143
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by croce_99 View Post
    cubs facebook page just posted a picture of Jackson and the Cubs jersey.
    Not a lot of happy Cubs fans.
    My favorite comment is: " I would rather sign younger talent. This is a signing just to boost attendance."



    I don't think Jackson will be boosting attendance
    This fanbas scares the **** out of me. I'm glad this FO is used to such nonsense and can ignore it.

  14. #329
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Posts
    1,948
    vCash
    1500
    LOL people like this are why it's probably hard for most people on this site to talk Cubs baseball with any of our friends. We know too much...

  15. #330
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Posts
    15,678
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by ABE32 View Post
    WOW...I guess there are some folks from here on that page then.
    What's funny is that there are actually a few posts there from members of this site. They just happen to be the only reasonable comments. The PSDatabase knows.

Page 22 of 24 FirstFirst ... 122021222324 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •