Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast
    vCash
    Again the odds of the Mets getting him are less than the odds of Natalie Portman knocking on my door in the next 5 minutes and asking me to bang her.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sick Of It All View Post
    Again the odds of the Mets getting him are less than the odds of Natalie Portman knocking on my door in the next 5 minutes and asking me to bang her.

I hope she bangs you then within the next 5 mins.

vCash
    Getting back to reality, I'm sorry now that I resurrected that old Young for Turner thrread, because I wasn't suggesting that we trade Turner for Young at all. I was merely asking if Young seemed like a viable trade target for Sandy now.

After 3 mediocre seasons with the Rockies, where he couldn't seem to hit a lick when he was away from the friendly confines of Coor's Field, he suddenly broke out last year. Was Young's breakout season the real deal? It was a small sample, only 196 PAs, (his season being shortened by an oblique injury) but he hit .316 with a .377 OBP. Equally impressive was that his home and away splits were fairly balanced, and as a switch hitter his OPS batting righty was more than 200 points higher than batting lefty (.974 vs. .770) although his lefty hitting was more than respectable. All of a sudeden, he was hitting everywhere and everyone. He's an above average fielder, and his speed works to his advantage in CF and as a leadoff hitter. If he has turned the corner and can keep his OBP above .350 he has 30 - 40 SB potential and could score a lot of runs from the leadoff spot.

Can he be a regular, or would he be just another 4th OF?
    Last edited by dunbummin; 12-29-2012 at 11:42 PM.
    Former B'klyn Dodger fan. Mets Maniac since 1962.

vCash
    Don't even pay attention to home/road splits if they aren't power hitters imo.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by YoungStuna28 View Post
    Don't even pay attention to home/road splits if they aren't power hitters imo.
    I think if a position player's home park is a hitter's paradise, you need to look at how he does under normal conditions. One of the reasons I'd be very concerned about a trade for Dexter Fowler (not a big bopper at all) is that his stats are inflated by playing 1/2 his games at Coor's. While his career ABs are pretty evenly divided between home and away, he has hit 60% of his 50 triples at home, and 71% of his 28 HRs.

Just as we discount prospects whose numbers are inflated by playing their AAA games in the hitter friendly PCL, where so many of the parks are in high altitude cities, so we need to look at major league players who we might consider trading for.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by dunbummin View Post
    I think if a position player's home park is a hitter's paradise, you need to look at how he does under normal conditions. One of the reasons I'd be very concerned about a trade for Dexter Fowler (not a big bopper at all) is that his stats are inflated by playing 1/2 his games at Coor's. While his career ABs are pretty evenly divided between home and away, he has hit 60% of his 50 triples at home, and 71% of his 28 HRs.

Just as we discount prospects whose numbers are inflated by playing their AAA games in the hitter friendly PCL, where so many of the parks are in high altitude cities, so we need to look at major league players who we might consider trading for.
    Or maybe they adjust their hitting style to the ballpark?

Major league hitters can adjust. Don't forget that in the West they play mostly the Padres and Giants on the road and those are terrible places to hit. So that brings their road numbers down.

vCash
    Or maybe they adjust their hitting style to the ballpark?

Major league hitters can adjust. Don't forget that in the West they play mostly the Padres and Giants on the road and those are terrible places to hit. So that brings their road numbers down.
    But if they're not hitting when at sea level, they're not adjusting to the park. If they were able to adjust to the park, they'd keep their numbers up when away too.

You have to admit that the Rockies prospects generally seem better than they actually are because they play their AAA games in Colorado Springs. Frankly, I'm concerned that we fans are going to think we have a lot more than we actually have when our kids play their AAA games in Vegas.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by dunbummin View Post
    But if they're not hitting when at sea level, they're not adjusting to the park. If they were able to adjust to the park, they'd keep their numbers up when away too.

You have to admit that the Rockies prospects generally seem better than they actually are because they play their AAA games in Colorado Springs. Frankly, I'm concerned that we fans are going to think we have a lot more than we actually have when our kids play their AAA games in Vegas.
    I don't mean they make adjustments from park to park during the year. If say Carlos Gonzalez got traded to the Mets, do you really think he'd be a .700ish bat? I don't. He'd likely adjust and at least be an .800-.850 OPS guy still.

vCash
    He's not coming to the Mets or leaving the Yankees.
    Considering Jeter, Pettite, Rivera, and probably Granderson will all be gone within 1 year of his new contract, that Arod/Tex will be older, and the Mets will be younger and talented, why the heck not?

Again there's a low probability he leaves the Yanks, but I think we have better than a 0% shot. Much crazier things have happened. We just have to pitch the deal in the right way. Having Wheeler, Harvey, Niese, Davis and d'Arnaud play well this year could also affect the decision. I understand the Yankees will be able to spend with money off the books too, but if they bid 170M for Cano and we bid 180M+, we definitively have a shot. And I would gladly spend that on him considering his offense and defense at 2B. When he's 36 we don't need him to be a good defender. But honestly, he transforms our team and our franchise direction overnight.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by yfern328 View Post
    Considering Jeter, Pettite, Rivera, and probably Granderson will all be gone within 1 year of his new contract, that Arod/Tex will be older, and the Mets will be younger and talented, why the heck not?

Again there's a low probability he leaves the Yanks, but I think we have better than a 0% shot. Much crazier things have happened. We just have to pitch the deal in the right way. Having Wheeler, Harvey, Niese, Davis and d'Arnaud play well this year could also affect the decision. I understand the Yankees will be able to spend with money off the books too, but if they bid 170M for Cano and we bid 180M+, we definitively have a shot. And I would gladly spend that on him considering his offense and defense at 2B. When he's 36 we don't need him to be a good defender. But honestly, he transforms our team and our franchise direction overnight.
    You see the Mets giving Cano a 8 year $180M contract just one year after making Wright the highest paid Mets player of all time? I don't. His agent is Boras and he will hold Cano out for the top dollar.

vCash
    You see the Mets giving Cano a 8 year $180M contract just one year after making Wright the highest paid Mets player of all time? I don't. His agent is Boras and he will hold Cano out for the top dollar.
    Sure why not. That's like paying Bay and Santana, except you have Cano. We have no bad contracts on this team. We can have Wright+Cano and then everyone else on team friendly deals. I'm all for Moneyball managing, but with a New York twist. You operate like a small market team that prides itself in scouting, but when premier guys like Cano hit the market, pounce. I could care less if Donald Trump was Cano's agent.

The Wilpons already said they would spend in 2014. If you're going to spend, spend on the best talent you will probably get in the market until Giancarlo Stanton hits FA.

vCash
    By the end of 2014, more likely in 2015, this could be the basic core of the team. Again, not a big deal to pay Cano and Wright when half the team is on affordable deals. The team payroll could easily be 100-120M.

Travis d'Arnaud
    Ike Davis
    Robinson Cano
    David Wright
    Ruben Tejada
    LF
    CF
    Brandon Nimmo

Zack Wheeler
    Matt Harvey
    Jonathon Niese
    Dillon Gee
    Noah Syndergaard

vCash
    And Cano

I say the Yankees have about a 95% chance of re-signing him, but somewhere deep in my heart I feel Alderson has his eyes on Cano. Cano literally changes our entire team.

And sorry to all. I'm going to be that annoying guy for a year that chimes in about Cano's FA status any time I get the chance.
    Cool, have fun with that. But we aren't paying almost $200mil over 8 yrs or so, or even more perhaps.... it just isn't gonna happen. We're going a different route now. No more huge ridiculous contracts to players who might be great for another couple yrs before hitting their decline or maybe won't be good ever again (Bay). None of these huge contracts are working out for teams. I don't know why people are still paying these contracts. Pujols getting $30mil a yr for 10 yrs after his prime yrs are already over.... Hamilton with his contract now, you really think he's gonna live up to that? Cano is gonna get an out of control deal.... and we won't be paying it. I wish we would, but we won't.
    Last edited by bklynny67; 12-30-2012 at 04:57 AM.

vCash

That first part is exactly why he won't be leaving the Yankees. Cuz they'll have all those contracts u just mentioned coming off the books, and they'll give it to Cano, and they'll still be good.

vCash
    Truly the silly season. We have threads about Harvey's uni number and the mets getting Cano (did you guys forget who our owners are?). Bring on pitchers and catchers.

Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast