Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011 LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by mhschiefs97 View Post
    I'm all for Sandy's plan, but I'm admittedly getting tired of the way the front office is sitting around waiting to pick the scraps off the free agent pile.

On another note, I don't care about what the average fan thinks. I just think that most fans don't realize Sandy's plan, and only see what is on the surface.

Since Michael Bourn was mentioned I'll just say I would advocate signing him on a one year deal if he can't find the long term contract he is looking for this season. He can always be extended, but lets imagine he isn't. Lets imagine for one second that Sandy signed Bourn to a one year deal. There can be two perfectly realistic scenarios:
    1-The Mets actually have an exciting first half. They then decide to keep Bourn, and get a draft pick when he leaves or get the inside track to extend him in a weak free agent market next year.
    2-The Mets don't compete and there is a contender looking for a lead off man and/or a center fielder mid season.
    Would you rather trust the Mets when they have an 11th or 12th (whatever it was) overall draft pick next year? Or would you rather trust Sandy bringing in a blue chip prospect by trading Bourn, especially considering that the only thing Sandy has proved he excels at is trading all star talent for top prospects.
    For starters because of Bourns agent, Scott Boras, most of if not all these scenarios won't work. There are 2 reasons why Bourn hasn't signed with a team.

1. He is asking for a lot of money

2. He will cost a team a 1st round pick on top of money to sign a guy who IMO won't make a big enough impact to justify the money and pick being surrendered.

I would rather my team stick to their plan and keep building than be excited about speed at the top of my order and winning an extra 3 games next year.

I also don't think we get a pick for him after one year. I don't know what the new rules are, but a lot of things have changed.

vCash
    Bourne would be perfect for this team, on a three year deal.

However, he would cost us our draft pick, and I don't want to lose that for him.

His skill set is speed. He is 30. The older you get, your speed goes.

Put those two facts together? Pass.
    I really should develop a sig, huh?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MrMet6986 View Post
    Bourne would be perfect for this team, on a three year deal.

However, he would cost us our draft pick, and I don't want to lose that for him.

His skill set is speed. He is 30. The older you get, your speed goes.

Put those two facts together? Pass.
    Bourn would be perfect in a few years from now and if he was just hitting 30 then. However we have questions about the middle of our batting order so he is even more useless to us now.

4 - Ike Davis - Will he rebound and get better hitting lefties? Because if we get first half Ike again we are going to be much worse than what everyone is expected.

5 - ????? - I am assuming this spot will be filled by whoever we get in the FA market or through a trade. Even though TDA is projected to be a 6th hitter I expect he will take the 5th spot in the order if we don't have a serviceable 5th hitter. I expect out team to look like this come early May.

1. Tejeda
    2. Murphy
    3. Wright
    4. Davis
    5. Hairston
    6. Duda
    7. d'Arnaud
    8. Nieuwenhuis

2014 I would like to see this

1. Choo
    2. Tejeda
    3. Wright
    4. Davis
    5. Hart
    6. d'Arnaud
    7. Muprhy
    8. Nieuwenhuis

You can flip Murphy and TDA if he isn't ready to move up in the order, but I think that line up is pretty ****ing good.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by metsbulls1025 View Post
    Bourn would be perfect in a few years from now and if he was just hitting 30 then. However we have questions about the middle of our batting order so he is even more useless to us now.

4 - Ike Davis - Will he rebound and get better hitting lefties? Because if we get first half Ike again we are going to be much worse than what everyone is expected.

5 - ????? - I am assuming this spot will be filled by whoever we get in the FA market or through a trade. Even though TDA is projected to be a 6th hitter I expect he will take the 5th spot in the order if we don't have a serviceable 5th hitter. I expect out team to look like this come early May.

1. Tejeda
    2. Murphy
    3. Wright
    4. Davis
    5. Hairston
    6. Duda
    7. d'Arnaud
    8. Nieuwenhuis

2014 I would like to see this

1. Choo
    2. Tejeda
    3. Wright
    4. Davis
    5. Hart
    6. d'Arnaud
    7. Muprhy
    8. Nieuwenhuis

You can flip Murphy and TDA if he isn't ready to move up in the order, but I think that line up is pretty ****ing good.
    LOL if you think we are gonna sign Choo AND Hart next yr.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by bklynny67 View Post
    I'd avoid Choo just because he's a Boras client with a huge platoon split.

I'd rather get Hart and Prado. We have the money.

vCash
    I was just going to post about Choo, stay away from any Borass client.

Hart would be a nice trade target this year, before he hits free agency, because I don't know if I would target a 31 year old next off season. If we could get him now, maybe we can get a decent deal worked out, or if he goes, get a pick.

Prado? I had not even thought of him.
    I really should develop a sig, huh?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by bklynny67 View Post
    What I would like to see and what I think will happen is 2 different things. I clearly said what I would like. We have the money to sign both. Will we? Most likely not.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MrMet6986 View Post
    I was just going to post about Choo, stay away from any Borass client.

Hart would be a nice trade target this year, before he hits free agency, because I don't know if I would target a 31 year old next off season. If we could get him now, maybe we can get a decent deal worked out, or if he goes, get a pick.

Prado? I had not even thought of him.
    Hart and Prado would make this team substantially better. The only Boras clients I would possibly bring in Ellsbury or Gomez depending on price.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by YoungStuna28 View Post
    Hart and Prado would make this team substantially better. The only Boras clients I would possibly bring in Ellsbury or Gomez depending on price.
    And Cano

I say the Yankees have about a 95% chance of re-signing him, but somewhere deep in my heart I feel Alderson has his eyes on Cano. Cano literally changes our entire team.

And sorry to all. I'm going to be that annoying guy for a year that chimes in about Cano's FA status any time I get the chance.
    Last edited by yfern328; 12-29-2012 at 01:09 AM.

vCash
    Looking at the OF's left on the market, I'm really, really interested in seeing what Alderson can possibly have up his sleeve. It's one thing to patch a team together, but if he wants to keep smiling and claim he hasn't "punted" the 2013 season, he will surely have to look way beyond this meager FA crop.

Unless some miracle happens and we sign Michael Bourne. A laughable thought, I know.

I personally think Baxter would be perfect for a platoon role with a righty bat like Hairston. But that would still leave two empty holes...we could fill one of them with Kirk, although he proved to strikeout at an obscene rate. And he can't hit lefties. Duda does not belong anywhere near the outfield (and probably not the National League in general).
    "We're snakebitten, baby." --Fred Wilpon

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by yfern328 View Post
    And Cano

I say the Yankees have about a 95% chance of re-signing him, but somewhere deep in my heart I feel Alderson has his eyes on Cano. Cano literally changes our entire team.

And sorry to all. I'm going to be that annoying guy for a year that chimes in about Cano's FA status any time I get the chance.
    He's not coming to the Mets or leaving the Yankees.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SJ5382 View Post
    Looking at the OF's left on the market, I'm really, really interested in seeing what Alderson can possibly have up his sleeve. It's one thing to patch a team together, but if he wants to keep smiling and claim he hasn't "punted" the 2013 season, he will surely have to look way beyond this meager FA crop.

Unless some miracle happens and we sign Michael Bourne. A laughable thought, I know.

I personally think Baxter would be perfect for a platoon role with a righty bat like Hairston. But that would still leave two empty holes...we could fill one of them with Kirk, although he proved to strikeout at an obscene rate. And he can't hit lefties. Duda does not belong anywhere near the outfield (and probably not the National League in general).
    Dariel Alvarez.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by metsbulls1025 View Post
    Don't say anything because what you mean is spend money. Because weather you like it or not 3 top 50 prospect is something.

Also they have been rebuilding. That is also something weather you like it or not.

Whether you like it or not, it's all about winning baseball games night after night. that's what matters, not having wet dreams about prospects. They've also been slashing payroll with zero care for the consequences on the field, whether you like it or not.

Some call it a rebuild, I call it a downsizing. You wanna think this is Fredo trying to build you a home-grown dream team that will dominate for years, when what's actually happening is he's trying to keep hold of the team by any means necessary.

Rebuilding? 7-8 big contacts have gone, and they still refuse to spend a penny. The narrative was once 'We're too top heavy, we need to bring payroll down' - they've done that, and still nothing.

It''s just one excuse after another, followed by another season thrown away without an effort to win.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by YoungStuna28 View Post
    Dariel Alvarez.
    I like the way you think.

ďNinety percent Iíll spend on good times, women, and Irish whiskey. The other ten percent Iíll probably waste.Ē
    - Tug McGraw, on his plans for his $75,000 salary

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by clayamtion View Post
    I like the way you think.
    I really hope they are in on him.

Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011 LastLast