Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by YoungStuna28 View Post
    Cool so you have no idea how to improve the team. I guess there's no simple solution to make a winner then, right?

I know one thing, you will not improve the team by doing nothing every year....

There's no way to build a winner without trying...

The Mets are not even trying, where's the flexibility?

vCash
    Lol

Year after year. You make it sound like we have spent the past 20 years doing nothing. If you have that much hate for what is going on you know where the door is.

I an sick and tired of every thread getting derailed with talks about money. Can we please get back to talking baseball before this Mets forums loses more posters.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by metsbulls1025 View Post
    Lol

Year after year. You make it sound like we have spent the past 20 years doing nothing. If you have that much hate for what is going on you know where the door is.

I an sick and tired of every thread getting derailed with talks about money. Can we please get back to talking baseball before this Mets forums loses more posters.
    Tell me the last time they did anything?

vCash
    Don't say anything because what you mean is spend money. Because weather you like it or not 3 top 50 prospect is something.

Also they have been rebuilding. That is also something weather you like it or not.

vCash
    I agree with you. But. "whether" is the word. The Mets have spent. for 22 years with 3 post sseason appearences to show for it because they have never rebuilt. Spending money unwisely is the way to put fannies in the seats

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Marty Mcfly View Post
    Fair enough, then why won't they do anything? Why haven't they signed a single FA?

If you're happy making excuses for doing nothing year after and are happy just throwing season after season away then frankly you're not much of a fan either...

How could anyone NOT be automatically negative about the Coupons they're just about the worst owners in sports...
    That is the point, smartass.

I would RATHER see them do nothing than give Cody Ross more than 3/26.

I would RATHER see them do nothing than give Shane Victorino more than 3/38.

I would RATHER see them do nothing than give Torii Hunter 2/26.

I would RATHER see them do nothing than give Josh Hamilton 5/125 and hope like hell that he did not decide to sample New York's night life once or twice to relieve the pressure.

Besides, they have not done nothing. They have upgraded the terrible catching situation both now and in the future. The rotation is going to be solid with what we already have, and there are still gems working their way through the system.

They signed the face of the franchise to a deal that keeps him here for his career, basically.

The bullpen was rounding into shape at the end of the year, and I think that it will be more of a strength this upcoming yearr.

Is there a ways to go? Absolutely. The outfield is below par, and the lineup is too lefty friendly, and we don't have a CF.

Calling Sandy a liar and saying that anyone who believes him is foolish is in itself foolish. Sandy is doing all he can with what he has, and damnit, he is doing pretty well.

Now, once things settle in, if the Wilpons pull the same "let's get a step away and stop there" ********, I'm all in with you. Frankly, I don't believe a word any of the Three Stooges say. They have pulled the **** sheet over my head more than once.

But I will NOT fault Sandy for any move he has made so far. I have not seen any move that can really be seen as a bad one.

OK, throw Pagan out there, but I will throw back every post on any forum that was made when the deal was made, and I can virtually guarantee that 99% of them were pro the trade. Hindsight complaining is the mark of a real jerk if you ask me.

But I digress...
    I really should develop a sig, huh?

vCash
    Don't say anything because what you mean is spend money. Because weather you like it or not 3 top 50 prospect is something.

Also they have been rebuilding. That is also something weather you like it or not.
    lol exactly.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MrMet6986 View Post
    That is the point, smartass.

I would RATHER see them do nothing than give Cody Ross more than 3/26.

I would RATHER see them do nothing than give Shane Victorino more than 3/38.

I would RATHER see them do nothing than give Josh Hamilton 5/125 and hope like hell that he did not decide to sample New York's night life once or twice to relieve the pressure.

Besides, they have not done nothing. They have upgraded the terrible catching situation both now and in the future. The rotation is going to be solid with what we already have, and there are still gems working their way through the system.

They signed the face of the franchise to a deal that keeps him here for his career, basically.

The bullpen was rounding into shape at the end of the year, and I think that it will be more of a strength this upcoming yearr.

Is there a ways to go? Absolutely. The outfield is below par, and the lineup is too lefty friendly, and we don't have a CF.

Calling Sandy a liar and saying that anyone who believes him is foolish is in itself foolish. Sandy is doing all he can with what he has, and damnit, he is doing pretty well.

Now, once things settle in, if the Wilpons pull the same "let's get a step away and stop there" ********, I'm all in with you. Frankly, I don't believe a word any of the Three Stooges say. They have pulled the **** sheet over my head more than once.

But I will NOT fault Sandy for any move he has made so far. I have not seen any move that can really be seen as a bad one.

OK, throw Pagan out there, but I will throw back every post on any forum that was made when the deal was made, and I can virtually guarantee that 99% of them were pro the trade. Hindsight complaining is the mark of a real jerk if you ask me.

But I digress...
    Excellent post. Unfortunately, you probably lost him with the first "I would RATHER see them do nothing". Not that it matters, because nothing you say will stop the "nabobs of negativism" (to quote the late Spiro Agnew) from putting a negative twist on anything and everything the Mets FO and owners do.

All that you say makes perfect sense. Extending Wright, getting d'Arnaud and Syndergaard for Dickey, even getting Cowgill for Marte, were all very positive moves. And so is waiting out the FA and trade market further, until Sandy can get exactly what he wants at the price he wants, in order to continue to rebuild this team. Last year, Wheeler for Beltran was a master stroke, and the Pagan trade looked fine on paper. Alderson is definitely taking the team in the right direction.
    Former B'klyn Dodger fan. Mets Maniac since 1962.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MrMet6986 View Post

Torii Hunter would of been the exact type of veteran leadership we could have used on our team, much in the way Cliff Floyd was. On top of the fact that he is coming off of arguably the best year of his career. The Mets stood pat with deferred money to spend on nothing but fill ins. If we are going to spend money on role players like Scott Hairston, then we might as well spend a little extra cash to bring in difference makers. This is New York, and it costs hundreds of dollars just to go to a couple of games. If I am paying a premium, then I want a premium product on the field while I wait for the farm to reach the major leagues. Guys that wouldn't financially handcuff the Mets going forward, or cost them a draft pick, should have been the guys Sandy was signing this offseason.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again: The average Mets fan can not name more than 5 minor leaguers in our system. If you are lucky, you may be told that there is a pitcher named Wheeler, some guy called Wilmer something, and that new catcher we got - Travis D'are-nard or however you pronounce it. Hell, some Mets fan may not even know Scott Hairston was a free agent this offseason, and come Opening day next year, they will be shocked to find out that our biggest free agent signing was that guy that hit 20 home runs last year. Citifield is not exactly new anymore. How do the Mets expect to sell tickets next year if they are trotting out the same exact product as last year minus RA Dickey? Are they gonna try to sell fans on Shake Shack and its' well known lines? Or maybe they will try to sell fans on the new cheese steak place next to it. Or maybe the fans will decide to save their money after blowing it all on the cost of their tickets that should be buying them a premium product, i.e. a respectable baseball team. The Mets should not have to resort to the same strategy of rebuilding that the Cubs chose. I think most fans would prefer if the Mets rebuilt in the way the Red Sox have, which is short term contracts while they wait for their farm to arrive.
    Last edited by mhschiefs97; 12-28-2012 at 10:15 PM.

vCash
    Torri Hunter arguably has his best year at age 38.

vCash
    I would have LOVED to get Torii Hunter. I would have been elated to get Shane Victorino.

We need more guys with attitudes and professionalism.

But, I stand by my statement.

I would RATHER do nothing then overpay for 30+ year olds and give them more years than they warrant. That type of contract is what got us into the predicament we are in now.
    I really should develop a sig, huh?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by mhschiefs97 View Post
    Torii Hunter would of been the exact type of veteran leadership we could have used on our team, much in the way Cliff Floyd was. On top of the fact that he is coming off of arguably the best year of his career. The Mets stood pat with deferred money to spend on nothing but fill ins. If we are going to spend money on role players like Scott Hairston, then we might as well spend a little extra cash to bring in difference makers. This is New York, and it costs hundreds of dollars just to go to a couple of games. If I am paying a premium, then I want a premium product on the field while I wait for the farm to reach the major leagues. Guys that wouldn't financially handcuff the Mets going forward, or cost them a draft pick, should have been the guys Sandy was signing this offseason.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again: The average Mets fan can not name more than 5 minor leaguers in our system. If you are lucky, you may be told that there is a pitcher named Wheeler, some guy called Wilmer something, and that new catcher we got - Travis D'are-nard or however you pronounce it. Hell, some Mets fan may not even know Scott Hairston was a free agent this offseason, and come Opening day next year, they will be shocked to find out that our biggest free agent signing was that guy that hit 20 home runs last year. Citifield is not exactly new anymore. How do the Mets expect to sell tickets next year if they are trotting out the same exact product as last year minus RA Dickey? Are they gonna try to sell fans on Shake Shack and its' well known lines? Or maybe they will try to sell fans on the new cheese steak place next to it. Or maybe the fans will decide to save their money after blowing it all on the cost of their tickets that should be buying them a premium product, i.e. a respectable baseball team. The Mets should not have to resort to the same strategy of rebuilding that the Cubs chose. I think most fans would prefer if the Mets rebuilt in the way the Red Sox have, which is short term contracts while they wait for their farm to arrive.
    lol

That is exactly what we are doing. Sandy has stated he wasn't given out 2-3 year deals.

Tori Hunter does nothing for this team.

Michael Bourne isn't worth his contract plus a first round pick for this team.

It really does feel like some people just want the big name just to say hey look everyone we have a big name player.

Also why are you worried about what the average fan thinks about and who shows up to the game?

vCash
    Look around dude, every team is over paying for players now, is a new reality in baseball with all the **** loads of money they are making because of the new TV deal.

If you do not want to over pay for free agents, then it will be always scrounging for the bottom of the barrel.

vCash
    lol

That is exactly what we are doing. Sandy has stated he wasn't given out 2-3 year deals.

Tori Hunter does nothing for this team.

Michael Bourne isn't worth his contract plus a first round pick for this team.

It really does feel like some people just want the big name just to say hey look everyone we have a big name player.

Also why are you worried about what the average fan thinks about and who shows up to the game?
    I'm all for Sandy's plan, but I'm admittedly getting tired of the way the front office is sitting around waiting to pick the scraps off the free agent pile.

On another note, I don't care about what the average fan thinks. I just think that most fans don't realize Sandy's plan, and only see what is on the surface.

Since Michael Bourn was mentioned I'll just say I would advocate signing him on a one year deal if he can't find the long term contract he is looking for this season. He can always be extended, but lets imagine he isn't. Lets imagine for one second that Sandy signed Bourn to a one year deal. There can be two perfectly realistic scenarios:
    1-The Mets actually have an exciting first half. They then decide to keep Bourn, and get a draft pick when he leaves or get the inside track to extend him in a weak free agent market next year.
    2-The Mets don't compete and there is a contender looking for a lead off man and/or a center fielder mid season.
    Would you rather trust the Mets when they have an 11th or 12th (whatever it was) overall draft pick next year? Or would you rather trust Sandy bringing in a blue chip prospect by trading Bourn, especially considering that the only thing Sandy has proved he excels at is trading all star talent for top prospects.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sick Of It All View Post
    Look around dude, every team is over paying for players now, is a new reality in baseball with all the **** loads of money they are making because of the new TV deal.

If you do not want to over pay for free agents, then it will be always scrounging for the bottom of the barrel.
    I never said we shouldn't be over paying for FA's. I just don't want them to do it right now.

The thing is if we are rebuilding the farm system and trying to reconstruct the ML roster what sense does it make to go out and add one star while over paying for their services? Maybe win 6 more games.

Again I have no problem with them spending 200 million dollars if they want to. It just doesn't make any sense for them to try and rebuild through FA while every other aspect of this organization is still in a transition period.

I along with everyone else watched a team with 150 million dollar payroll fail year after year. Does that mean spending money doesn't work? No, but what that did was start a snow ball effect with us. Players started to decline, under perform, or became a black hole. We back loaded every big contract on the team and now we are paying the price for that.

I am sorry if you or anyone else doesn't agree, but it makes ZERO sense to add star players and put them around below average and aging stars to try and patch this up. Sandy had to eat the contracts of Castillo, Perez, and Bay. His 30 million dollar ACE is injured every year. He had a closer who was getting ready to make 17 million dollars a year. His CF (Beltran) only played 145 games in the 2 previous years combined before he was traded. The minor leagues didn't have anyone ready or was pretty thin of talent.

I just don't see how going out and getting a bunch of mid 30 year old stars was going to fix our problems.
    Last edited by metsbulls1025; 12-28-2012 at 10:44 PM.

Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast