Like us on Facebook


Follow us on Twitter





Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast
Results 76 to 90 of 153
  1. #76
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Hill Valley, 1985.
    Posts
    7,792
    vCash
    1500
    Sizemore? you're having a laugh right?

    The Mets are awful with injuries, we don't need another guy who can't stay on the field. He WAS a guy with great career ahead of him at one time, now he's a guy with a decent career behind him.

  2. #77
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    31,022
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by Marty Mcfly View Post
    Will he work for food?

    That's where the debate starts and ends.
    Yeah.

    Sandy's not interested in top major league talent. He's interested in APHs. Any discussion about which real baseball players he should go after is foolish.
    "Mr. Martin Tanner, Baritone, of Dayton, Ohio made his Town Hall debut last night. He came well prepared, but unfortunately his presentation was not up to contemporary professional standards. His voice lacks the range of tonal color necessary to make it consistently interesting. Full time consideration of another endeavor might be in order."

  3. #78
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Hill Valley, 1985.
    Posts
    7,792
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by fanofclendennon View Post
    Yeah.

    Sandy's not interested in top major league talent. He's interested in APHs. Any discussion about which real baseball players he should go after is foolish.
    But he's going to be interested next year?

    You have no faith in him whatsoever, now, but in 10 months time, he's going to turn the team round by spending heavily in FA?

    Come on.

    They're not even clearing the decks for next years off-season, they've shifted payroll from this year to next!!!

    You don't need to be Columbo here.

  4. #79
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    547
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by Marty Mcfly View Post
    But he's going to be interested next year?

    You have no faith in him whatsoever, now, but in 10 months time, he's going to turn the team round by spending heavily in FA?

    Come on.

    They're not even clearing the decks for next years off-season, they've shifted payroll from this year to next!!!

    You don't need to be Columbo here.
    Sandy has made me realize just how varied the skills of different General Managers can be.

    IMO, the skills and who I think excelled in which facet between Sandy and Omar:

    -Signing major league free agents. Omar overpaid, but he was damn good at bringing in Major League free agents. I fear that Sandy is going to have a hard time convincing free agents to come to the Mets if and when we have money to spend. Then there's Jon Rauch and DJ Carrasco. Omar wins.

    -Signing minor league free agents. I'm tired of hearing how many reports there are of Sandy looking at low risk.high reward types and not getting them. Where is our Jose Valentin of the Sandy era? Omar Wins.

    -Retaining current players. Should I fault Sandy for Reyes more than Omar for Castillo and Ollie? Sandy Wins.

    -First Year Player drafting. Hard to judge Sandy on this one, but he is not the one that drafted Ike Davis, Matt Harvey, Bobby Parnell, Jon Niese, Lucas Duda, Captain Kirk, Daniel Murphy, Bobby Parnell, or Dillon Gee. Jon Niese and Matt Harvey are arguably the best pitchers the Mets have drafted in the past 20 years. Omar Wins.

    -International free agent signing. Omar's signing brought us guys like Santana in trades, as well as Wilmer Flores and Ruben Tejada. However, Luis Mateo and Rafael Montero can quickly make an impact too. I call this a tie for now. Tie.

    -Trading for Prospects. Sandy has showed a strength at this in Beltran and Dickey. (Omar was never really in a position to sell so these cancel each other out.) Sandy wins.

    -Trading away prospects. Omar had no minor league system after he was gone, but he never overpaid in prospects. (Sandy has yet to be in a situation to buy so these cancel each other out.) Omar wins.

    -Managing minor league system. Sandy simply blows Omar away. Sandy wins.

    -Trading major leaguers for major leaguers. Xavier Nady brought us Ollie. Kris Benson brought us John Maine. Angel Pagan brought us blown saves and a terrible outfielder? Omar wins.

    -Managing payroll. Sandy, but what has he really done? Sandy wins.

    I differentiated retaining players and signing free agents because I honestly think some GMs get to attached the players, while others see a leaving player as no different than just another free agent on the market.

    Final Tally:

    Sandy-4
    Omar-5
    Tie-1

    I'd be interested in seeing something like this done across the major leagues by a fangraphs or some other website known for its analytical baseball writers.

  5. #80
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Queens, NY
    Posts
    55,296
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by acerimusdux View Post
    Bourjos is a much better defender. Den Dekker is good, but he's really not elite. He doesn't have Bourjos speed. It's like comparing Ruben Tejada to Elvis Andrus defensively.
    Agreed, Bourjos is the best CF in the game.

    I think it's comparing more Andreton Simmons to Elvis Andrus. Simmons's glove looks elite just like Bourjos. Den Dekker is an above average runner unlike Tejada so I think he's a plus defender out there.

    Tejada's lack of range makes him an average defender at SS.

  6. #81
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    The Boogie Down
    Posts
    79,754
    vCash
    1500

    Grady Sizemore and Other outfield options

    These two GM's are in two total different positions so is impossible to compare them. With Omar the pockets were open and the team wanted results now, with Sandy the pockets are tight and the team is looking to build from within.


    Btw Mateo was a guy that was on the Mets radar before Sandy was GM. Problem was that because he was suspended they could not sign him, but the Mets encourage him to play in Columbia and when he was able to sign, they snatch him up. Do not forget that these guys from the IFA are signed by scouts brought in by the Omar regime. This is why I keep telling folks that that single thing is the biggest accomplishment by Omar.

  7. #82
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    29,342
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by fanofclendennon View Post
    Yeah.

    Sandy's not interested in top major league talent. He's interested in APHs. Any discussion about which real baseball players he should go after is foolish.
    I'm sorry, when did the best catching prospect become another place holder.


    "You don't know how to drink. Your whole generation, you drink for the wrong reasons. My generation, we drink because it's good, because it feels better than unbuttoning your collar, because we deserve it. We drink because it's what men do."

  8. #83
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Born in Brooklyn, New Jersey now.
    Posts
    1,439
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by fanofclendennon View Post
    Yeah.

    Sandy's not interested in top major league talent. He's interested in APHs. Any discussion about which real baseball players he should go after is foolish.
    Forgive me, I don't want to be disrespectful, but that's a really dumb comment. It's like looking at the homeless guy gazing into the window of Ben Benson's while eating beans out of a can, and saying "He's not interested in having a juicy, thick steak. He's only interested in something to fill his stomach."

    Every GM is interested in acquiring the very best major league talent he can afford and who fills his needs. Do you really believe that Sandy passes on many free agents because he isn't interested in them?

    How would you even know what Sandy is interested in? Did you have a conversation with him where he told you "Oh, I didn't sign Josh Hamilton or Zack Greinke this year because they are just too darn good. I'm only interested in signing mediocre players." LO F'n L
    Former B'klyn Dodger fan. Mets Maniac since 1962.

  9. #84
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    31,022
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by clayamtion View Post
    I'm sorry, when did the best catching prospect become another place holder.
    Sorry, i should have clarified:

    When he doesn't have an All Star to swap, he's only interested in APHs.
    "Mr. Martin Tanner, Baritone, of Dayton, Ohio made his Town Hall debut last night. He came well prepared, but unfortunately his presentation was not up to contemporary professional standards. His voice lacks the range of tonal color necessary to make it consistently interesting. Full time consideration of another endeavor might be in order."

  10. #85
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    31,022
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by dunbummin View Post
    Forgive me, I don't want to be disrespectful, but that's a really dumb comment. It's like looking at the homeless guy gazing into the window of Ben Benson's while eating beans out of a can, and saying "He's not interested in having a juicy, thick steak. He's only interested in something to fill his stomach."

    Every GM is interested in acquiring the very best major league talent he can afford and who fills his needs. Do you really believe that Sandy passes on many free agents because he isn't interested in them?

    How would you even know what Sandy is interested in? Did you have a conversation with him where he told you "Oh, I didn't sign Josh Hamilton or Zack Greinke this year because they are just too darn good. I'm only interested in signing mediocre players." LO F'n L
    Please feel free to be just as disrespectful to me as you would anyone else.

    I'm sure Sandy would love to have guys like Hamilton and Grinke if they can be had for the same money he can pay Cowgill and Young. But that's not reality.

    And since he is only interested in paying APH salaries, it would stand to reason that he's only interested in acquiring APH players.

    I thought everyone would know that when i said Sandy was only interested in acquiring APHs, I meant that Sandy was only interested in paying APH salaries.

    Many apologies for the confusion.
    "Mr. Martin Tanner, Baritone, of Dayton, Ohio made his Town Hall debut last night. He came well prepared, but unfortunately his presentation was not up to contemporary professional standards. His voice lacks the range of tonal color necessary to make it consistently interesting. Full time consideration of another endeavor might be in order."

  11. #86
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    31,022
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by Marty Mcfly View Post
    But he's going to be interested next year?

    You have no faith in him whatsoever, now, but in 10 months time, he's going to turn the team round by spending heavily in FA?

    Come on.

    They're not even clearing the decks for next years off-season, they've shifted payroll from this year to next!!!

    You don't need to be Columbo here.
    Probably not, no.

    I never said otherwise.
    "Mr. Martin Tanner, Baritone, of Dayton, Ohio made his Town Hall debut last night. He came well prepared, but unfortunately his presentation was not up to contemporary professional standards. His voice lacks the range of tonal color necessary to make it consistently interesting. Full time consideration of another endeavor might be in order."

  12. #87
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    18,142
    vCash
    1500
    Why doesn't he trade Ike for a bag of magic beans and go to Scott Hatteberg's house and try to pull a Billy Beane and offer him a contract around the holidays? Alderson isn't really serious about 2013, his eyes are on the future but he's not going to tell the media that they are going to stink in 2013. Who the hell would even show up in April if he said that? The season will be over when they trade Niese and Ike at the deadline but pretty much they'll be out of it by then anyway so it won't really matter.

  13. #88
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Hill Valley, 1985.
    Posts
    7,792
    vCash
    1500
    If they trade Ike or Niese at the deadline, then this rebuild is officially a load of nonsense.

  14. #89
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Queens, NY
    Posts
    642
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by Marty Mcfly View Post
    If they trade Ike or Niese at the deadline, then this rebuild is officially a load of nonsense.
    And if in the next month and a half the Mets trade for Clayton Kershaw, David Price, Justin Verlander, Mike Trout, and Miguel Cabrera, weíre gonna win the 2013 World Series. Yeahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh, baby. Iím so pumped.

    Whatís your point?

    You know you have nothing left to debate when you start playing the if game.

    If Lebron James, Dwayne Wade, and Chris Bosh all simultaneously break their legs, the Heat arenít making the playoffs.

    I have yet to see a legitimate source that says the Mets are gonna trade Niese or Davis...or even seriously considering it (unless they get an absolute haul). Implying otherwise is just being negative for negatives sake.


    Hopelessly Devoted

  15. #90
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Hill Valley, 1985.
    Posts
    7,792
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Koobs View Post
    And if in the next month and a half the Mets trade for Clayton Kershaw, David Price, Justin Verlander, Mike Trout, and Miguel Cabrera, weíre gonna win the 2013 World Series. Yeahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh, baby. Iím so pumped.

    Whatís your point?

    You know you have nothing left to debate when you start playing the if game.

    If Lebron James, Dwayne Wade, and Chris Bosh all simultaneously break their legs, the Heat arenít making the playoffs.

    I have yet to see a legitimate source that says the Mets are gonna trade Niese or Davis...or even seriously considering it (unless they get an absolute haul). Implying otherwise is just being negative for negatives sake.

    I would not put anything past these idiots if it meant saving a dime.

Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •