Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Rio40 View Post
    He should be given a chance. If he can hit .240 with 15 home runs and 20 SB then why not.
    If they thought he could do that, maybe they'd call him up. Right now, they are better off signing another outfielder and keeping him as depth in AAA. I'd rather have say, Nyjer Morgan on the roster, and Den Dekker as a call up, then have Den Dekker struggling in MLB and have to call up Fred Lewis when I need an outfielder.

Den Dekker needs at bats right now which he isn't going to get in MLB.

vCash
    [QUOTE=fanofclendennon;24808796]
    Quote Originally Posted by METMANYAK View Post

He may thrive in the major league environment? The "kid" (ok, he's 25 already! Kid? Ha!) was sorely overmatched in AAA, especially against lefties but you're telling me he's somehow going to thrive in the majors? Are you living in a fantasy world or what???

But that's not the issue. First you tell me that you don't care if the guy can hit. Now, apparently, you do care, but it's ok because somehow, even though he didn't hit worth a Cowgill's lick in AAA he's somehow going to thrive in the AAA environment?

Is den Dekker somehow related to you or what?

den Dekker ain't major league material. Tell you what though: If we ever need anyone to shag flies in batting practice, we'll keep him in mind.
    Wow, lol. Such venom. Chill brother,;I didn't realize you were the all knowing , all seeing sage. Have you noticed the part where at every level he struggled early and then began to get better? A quick search of his game by game stats shows, he hit .263 (LOL, sorry my mistake, it's actually .285) after August 20 till the end of the season. But I'll attempt to not confuse you with facts.
    Last edited by METMANYAK; 12-20-2012 at 06:55 PM.

vCash
    Wow, lol. Such venom. Chill brother,;I didn't realize you were the all knowing , all seeing sage. Have you noticed the part where at every level he struggled early and then began to get better? A quick search of his game by game stats shows, he hit .263 (LOL, sorry my mistake, it's actually .285) after August 20 till the end of the season. But I'll attempt to not confuse you with facts.
    Den Dekker's stats are going to be inflated next year too with how well the league as a whole bats in the PCL.

I am sure he will get a shot in the big leagues next year but i don't know what all the love is for DD anyway.

He can field but to me he's nothing more than a 4th OF and we already have plenty of those.

vCash
    [QUOTE=METMANYAK;24809786]
    Quote Originally Posted by fanofclendennon View Post

Yeah, I generally don't do well with those.

Seriosly though, thanks for the numbers. Wasn't aware of the trend of his improving late at every level.

Here's what bugs me. The man is already 25. The few times I saw him he looked sick at the plate, overmatched at times. At 25, that shouldn't be happening. Can't help but think that offensively, he's a AAAA player at best, even if he is a Willie Mays with the glove.

And don't mind the venom. Every now and then the Former Bishop has a bad day.
    "Mr. Martin Tanner, Baritone, of Dayton, Ohio made his Town Hall debut last night. He came well prepared, but unfortunately his presentation was not up to contemporary professional standards. His voice lacks the range of tonal color necessary to make it consistently interesting. Full time consideration of another endeavor might be in order."

vCash
    He's not ready yet, but he'll get his chance this year.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Piazza View Post
    But I have to say that my time with the Mets wouldn't have been the same without the greatest fans in the world. One of the hardest moments of my career, was walking off the field at Shea Stadium and saying goodbye. My relationship with you made my time in New York the happiest of my career and for that, I will always be grateful.

vCash
    With very rare exceptions , I dont believe fans that say they can live with a bad bat for a player's glove. Ultimately they turn on the player and resent him for killing rallies. The honeymoon is usually over by July.
    "The 90 wins is about challenge. It's about changing the conversation. It's about framing questions for ourselves as to how we get there. So I stand by the notion that we need to get better, and in doing so we need to set concrete goals for ourselves so that we have sort of specific conversations among ourselves about how we're going to get there." -- Mr. Alderson

vCash
    K's way too much to be a real productive hitter, but his defense is just spectacular. I want to see him in the majors as a defensive replacement at the least.

I wouldn't mind him starting and batting 8th, though. He has some power, so it stretches the lineup out a bit.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dugmet View Post
    With very rare exceptions , I dont believe fans that say they can live with a bad bat for a player's glove. Ultimately they turn on the player and resent him for killing rallies. The honeymoon is usually over by July.
    May unless he gets off to a good start. Then June.

But yeah.
    "Mr. Martin Tanner, Baritone, of Dayton, Ohio made his Town Hall debut last night. He came well prepared, but unfortunately his presentation was not up to contemporary professional standards. His voice lacks the range of tonal color necessary to make it consistently interesting. Full time consideration of another endeavor might be in order."

vCash
    My point from the beginning of the thread is simply. If we stand pat and this is the team we go to spring training with, That MDD should be given a fair shot to win the job, that's all. It seems like every year there are a group of guys that the fo has no intention of taking north with them. I'm simply saying, I think they should go into spring giving him a shot to win it, so he can get a year and his slow start under his belt, and save 50 runs for the young Mets pitchers to help them gain confidence.

vCash
    [QUOTE=fanofclendennon;24812977]

Yeah, I generally don't do well with those.

Seriosly though, thanks for the numbers. Wasn't aware of the trend of his improving late at every level.

Here's what bugs me. The man is already 25. The few times I saw him he looked sick at the plate, overmatched at times. At 25, that shouldn't be happening. Can't help but think that offensively, he's a AAAA player at best, even if he is a Willie Mays with the glove.

And don't mind the venom. Every now and then the Former Bishop has a bad day.
    Ok Clendennon, you and I are back on good terms

vCash
    [QUOTE=METMANYAK;24815359]
    Quote Originally Posted by fanofclendennon View Post

Ok Clendennon, you and I are back on good terms
    That's FoC to you, but thanks.

vCash
    My point from the beginning of the thread is simply. If we stand pat and this is the team we go to spring training with, That MDD should be given a fair shot to win the job, that's all. It seems like every year there are a group of guys that the fo has no intention of taking north with them. I'm simply saying, I think they should go into spring giving him a shot to win it, so he can get a year and his slow start under his belt, and save 50 runs for the young Mets pitchers to help them gain confidence.
    Indeed. Agree with this 100 percent. A team with as many holes as the Mets have should be holding open auditions, especially in the outfield.

Our earlier disagreement was based on your expectations of MDD, who, when you get down to it, sounds more like a drunkard's wine than a baseball player. But that's not important here.

vCash
    Always surprises me that a player with MDD's skill set -- speed, defense and a modicum of pop -- wouldn't make adjustments in his hitting game to overcome a major liability for someone who is not a big-time power hitter. 150-plus Ks a year is unacceptable at any level. When we signed him my best case projection was an Andy Van Slyke-type. But now he seems (at least according to his stats) to be yet another player set in an all-or-nothing approach at the plate.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dugmet View Post
    Yup, just ask Jeremy Reed.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by The Futurist View Post
    Always surprises me that a player with MDD's skill set -- speed, defense and a modicum of pop -- wouldn't make adjustments in his hitting game to overcome a major liability for someone who is not a big-time power hitter. 150-plus Ks a year is unacceptable at any level. When we signed him my best case projection was an Andy Van Slyke-type. But now he seems (at least according to his stats) to be yet another player set in an all-or-nothing approach at the plate.
    He has problems recognizing breaking balls down, and he has some length in his swing which is the reason for the Ks. I like that he's trying to hit for some power because that has more value than slapping the ball around the park.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast