Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    vCash
    He reminds me of Rey Ordenez, just in the outfield and with more power.

If he has two hitters on his left and on his right, I wouldn't mind him as a starter, assuming he keeps up his Gold Glove defense.

vCash
    I think competition helps. I expect Kirk N, Cowgill, and Den Dekker to come into the season strong, in shape, ready to beat each other out for the position. Every Spring, it seems, there is always a player that plays beyond expectations. That's what competition does...and I expect someone to rise to the occassion in Center Field.

Right Field, though, is an entirely different matter. We need bonafide punch.

vCash
    I wasn't suggesting that he become a slap hitter. Just a CFer who tries to find a way to make more contact than one who Ks 150 times and hits less than 20 HRs. Perhaps he has and it, at least at AAA, didn't work.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by The Futurist View Post
    I wasn't suggesting that he become a slap hitter. Just a CFer who tries to find a way to make more contact than one who Ks 150 times and hits less than 20 HRs. Perhaps he has and it, at least at AAA, didn't work.
    Like I said he has problems recognizing breaking balls down and he has length in his swing. He will always have high strikeouts, I just hope they don't get out of control so he can at least hit for a .250ish batting average.

East Flatbush to Canarsie to Roselle park
    vCash
    Why can't we ever develop any good outfielders?

The last guy as far as I can remember was Straw, that's crazy.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Nymfan87 View Post
    Yup, just ask Jeremy Reed.
    Geez, that guy was truly pathetic. But he was great with a glove.

And he epitomized how horrible Jerry Manuel was as a manager.

When Daniel Murphy was an absolute disaster in left field and Carlos Delgado went down, trying Murph at first base never occurred to Manuel which was stupid since the kid had spent most of his professional career as an infielder.

In fact, in one of his infamous post game pressers, Jerry joked that he would put himself in at first before trying out Murph there. To underscore this point, in one game he actually had Reed, an excellent outfielder, at first base while Murph was stuck in left field, a position he just could not play.

We would find out later in the year that not only could Murphy handle first base but it was also his best position.

And unlike Reed, he could hit too.
    Last edited by fanofclendennon; 12-21-2012 at 04:22 PM.
    "Mr. Martin Tanner, Baritone, of Dayton, Ohio made his Town Hall debut last night. He came well prepared, but unfortunately his presentation was not up to contemporary professional standards. His voice lacks the range of tonal color necessary to make it consistently interesting. Full time consideration of another endeavor might be in order."

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MetsFanatic19 View Post
    He reminds me of Rey Ordenez, just in the outfield and with more power.
    Great analogy. Good job!
    "Mr. Martin Tanner, Baritone, of Dayton, Ohio made his Town Hall debut last night. He came well prepared, but unfortunately his presentation was not up to contemporary professional standards. His voice lacks the range of tonal color necessary to make it consistently interesting. Full time consideration of another endeavor might be in order."

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Oldmantrash View Post
    Why can't we ever develop any good outfielders?

The last guy as far as I can remember was Straw, that's crazy.
    That question has puzzled me for the last 40 years.

Cleon Jones, Amos Otis (traded for crap), Ken Singleton (traded for Rusty), Mookie Wilson, Darryl Strawberry, Lenny Dykstra, Jay Payton, and that's it.

Is that pathetic or what?
    Last edited by fanofclendennon; 12-21-2012 at 04:40 PM.

vCash

Den Dekker in Center Field

Burnitz was the last decent outfielder the mets developed.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sick Of It All View Post
    Oy.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sick Of It All View Post
    Does Pagan count?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Nymfan87 View Post
    Does Pagan count?
    Yes imo, since he was drafted and developed by us before dealing him away.

vCash
    I thikn the Japanese would agree that Milledge has turned out well

vCash
    What's the name of this thread again? Oh yeah, Den Dekker in center field. I agree with that 100% . . in Las Vegas, though. DD will probably mash in the thin air of Vegas, so I'm not sure how much that will prove. But it should improve his confidence and maybe later in the season he can get his shot against major league pitching. Meanwhile, I am very happy with a Nieuwenhuis/Cowgill platoon in CF to open the season.
    Former B'klyn Dodger fan. Mets Maniac since 1962.

vCash
    Yeah, Pagan counts.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast