Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    vCash

Den Dekker in Center Field

Matt Den Dekker is 25 years old now, he's played 3 full seasons in the Mets system and should be given a legitimate shot to win the center field position in spring training. I know we got Cowgill, but maybe less Cowgill is better. Maybe as a roving platooner in all 3 outfield spots. Do we really need more Cowgill, my apologies, just couldn't resist. But at the very least Den Dekker gives the Mets what they desperately need and that's defense in Center, so what if he's a notoriously slow starter offensively, let him get that slow start now so he's ready for next season. He looks like a player to me and I would love to see him get a shot, especially in this season where we are getting primed for the New Met Order, come 2014.
    Last edited by METMANYAK; 12-20-2012 at 03:57 PM.

vCash
    I agree. Many will say he isn't ready but if his defense is as good as advertised I can live with a bad bat. He's a college hitter with three years in the Mets system. He has had enough time to develop his hitting and can continue his development at the major league level. If we do not sign Ross I would like to see Dekker in CF everyday bc of his defense.

Kirk should be the starter in left as he doesn't quite cover enough ground to be an everyday Center Fielder.

Cowgill can rotate in with Dekker, Kirk and Duda to keep to get a good amount of AB's and be a late inning defensive replacement for Duda.

Presenting the 2013 New York Mets Outfield.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Rio40 View Post
    I agree. Many will say he isn't ready but if his defense is as good as advertised I can live with a bad bat. He's a college hitter with three years in the Mets system. He has had enough time to develop his hitting and can continue his development at the major league level. If we do not sign Ross I would like to see Dekker in CF everyday bc of his defense.

Kirk should be the starter in left as he doesn't quite cover enough ground to be an everyday Center Fielder.

Cowgill can rotate in with Dekker, Kirk and Duda to keep to get a good amount of AB's and be a late inning defensive replacement for Duda.
    Sorry, maybe you can but I can't live with a centerfielder who is an automatic out. I don't care if the guy can field better than Tris Speaker. If he don't hit, you must remit. (Ok, that makes no sense but it does rhyme.)
    "Mr. Martin Tanner, Baritone, of Dayton, Ohio made his Town Hall debut last night. He came well prepared, but unfortunately his presentation was not up to contemporary professional standards. His voice lacks the range of tonal color necessary to make it consistently interesting. Full time consideration of another endeavor might be in order."

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by fanofclendennon View Post
    Sorry, maybe you can but I can't live with a centerfielder who is an automatic out. I don't care if the guy can field better than Tris Speaker. If he don't hit, you must remit. (Ok, that makes no sense but it does rhyme.)
    Den Dekker has power, can steal bases, and hit for a moderate average (.260) but he starts off like he's overmatched wherever he goes it seems, but over time he usually figures it out. I prefer a guy like that as opposed to a guy who goes backwards after the league figures him out.

vCash
    I agree. Many will say he isn't ready but if his defense is as good as advertised I can live with a bad bat. He's a college hitter with three years in the Mets system. He has had enough time to develop his hitting and can continue his development at the major league level. If we do not sign Ross I would like to see den Dekker in CF everyday bc of his defense.

Cowgill can rotate in with den Dekker, Kirk and Duda to keep to get a good amount of AB's and be a late inning defensive replacement for Duda.
    Fixed.

den Dekker is not ready period. Let him show that he can dominate Vagas before calling him up. If he can't tear up Vagas, he's not a starting outfielder in the big leagues.

He struck out in 28% of his PA in AAA last year, that is far too much. No one wants to see a .200 hitter regardless of how good his defense is. Rushing him makes no sense.

Kirk covers enough ground to play CF from what I've seen. He's not as good as den Dekker, but he's about average. If his bat plays up, he will be fine.

vCash
    What I am saying is that he has had plenty of time. His M.O. is that he struggles heavily every time he gets brought up to a new level. IMO its better to just have his plus defense in center and kirks plus defense in right even just to help out our young pitchers.

I bet den Dekker can save more runs then Duda can produce.

He should be given a chance. If he can hit .240 with 15 home runs and 20 SB then why not.

Presenting the 2013 New York Mets Outfield.

vCash
    What I am saying is that he has had plenty of time. His M.O. is that he struggles heavily every time he gets brought up to a new level. IMO its better to just have his plus defense in center and kirks plus defense in right even just to help out our young pitchers.

I bet den Dekker can save more runs then Duda can produce.

He should be given a chance. If he can hit .240 with 15 home runs and 20 SB then why not.
    He couldn't even do that in AAA, and know you are expecting him to do that for a full season?

He's got issues with contact and plate discipline. He needs time to work on these issues.

I'm a huge den Dekker fan and I want to see him, but I want to see him when he's ready.

vCash
    [QUOTE=YoungStuna28;24807929]He couldn't even do that in AAA, and know you are expecting him to do that for a full season?
    He's got issues with contact and plate discipline. He needs time to work on these issues.
    I'm a huge Den Dekker fan and I want to see him, but I want to see him when he's ready.

Granted, he's had these issues, no argument. But I have watched him many times, he has an engine that works different than most. He may thrive in the major league environment. There are many cases like that. I just want the Mets to tell him and give him a legit shot in spring training to win the Center Field position. Too many times a team gets so set on just getting a look in spring with every intent of sending him back. Also, and I know this is overstated to some degree, but maybe the best guy in the organization for this guy to grow under is Hudgens; who teaches plate discipline.
    Last edited by METMANYAK; 12-20-2012 at 03:55 PM.

vCash
    I believe The Captain will surprise us this year. Last year he got his taste and this year it will slow down for him. Won't hit 300 but maybe 260-275 with 15 to 20 HR's. Strike out a ton, but I believe (my opinion) he'll be adequate by late season. Just wish he would stay healthy.
    " You seek Yoda!

vCash
    [QUOTE=METMANYAK;24808166]
    Quote Originally Posted by YoungStuna28 View Post
    He couldn't even do that in AAA, and know you are expecting him to do that for a full season?
    I'm a huge Den Dekker fan and I want to see him, but I want to see him when he's ready.

Granted, he's had these issues, no argument. But I have watched him many times, he has an engine that works different than most. He may thrive in the major league environment. There are many cases like that. I just want the Mets to tell him and give him a legit shot in spring training to win the Center Field position. Too many times a team gets so set on just getting a look in spring with every intent of sending him back. Also, and I know this is overstated to some degree, but maybe the best guy in the organization for this guy to grow under is Hudgens; who teaches plate discipline.
    He may thrive in the major league environment? The "kid" (ok, he's 25 already! Kid? Ha!) was sorely overmatched in AAA, especially against lefties but you're telling me he's somehow going to thrive in the majors? Are you living in a fantasy world or what???

But that's not the issue. First you tell me that you don't care if the guy can hit. Now, apparently, you do care, but it's ok because somehow, even though he didn't hit worth a Cowgill's lick in AAA he's somehow going to thrive in the AAA environment?

Is den Dekker somehow related to you or what?

den Dekker ain't major league material. Tell you what though: If we ever need anyone to shag flies in batting practice, we'll keep him in mind.
    "Mr. Martin Tanner, Baritone, of Dayton, Ohio made his Town Hall debut last night. He came well prepared, but unfortunately his presentation was not up to contemporary professional standards. His voice lacks the range of tonal color necessary to make it consistently interesting. Full time consideration of another endeavor might be in order."

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by The-rock-man View Post
    I believe The Captain will surprise us this year. Last year he got his taste and this year it will slow down for him. Won't hit 300 but maybe 260-275 with 15 to 20 HR's. Strike out a ton, but I believe (my opinion) he'll be adequate by late season. Just wish he would stay healthy.
    Not a big fan of the captain but he did show us something early before hybernating for the rest of the season. Maybe he can find it again, i dunno.

Good athlete though and certainly capable of playing a major league centerfield. Whether he'll hit far enough over the Mendoza line remains to be seen.

vCash

Den Dekker in Center Field

Might as well give him a chance.

vCash
    Kirk will and should get the first crack at playing CF for this team.

He is the best option we currently have.

den Dekker needs more time to work on things in AAA at the plate.
    DUDA

Quote Originally Posted by VendettaRed07 View Post
    noah is gonna be a beast man.

with him and harvey, its like were gonna have Goku and Vegetta in the same rotation

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sick Of It All View Post
    Might as well give him a chance.
    I'd rather be patient with this guy. I want to see him play better in AAA first.
    DUDA

Quote Originally Posted by VendettaRed07 View Post
    noah is gonna be a beast man.

with him and harvey, its like were gonna have Goku and Vegetta in the same rotation

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Wrigheyes4MVP View Post
    I'd rather be patient with this guy. I want to see him play better in AAA first.
    He should hit better considering the BA slash line for that league is nearly .280.

It's not really a very good league to get an idea of how well a guy will project as a hitter in the majors.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast