Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    vCash

Is anyone concerned about Melo's rebounding and assist totals?

Melo has been flat out balling this year, that has been obvious. He is a more complete player at both ends of the floor but there are two things that stand out to me. He Is averaging a career low 1.9 assists per game or something like that. That doesn't concern me much because he is playing the 4, and not many 4's average a lot of assists. But for playing the 4, I think he could and should be rebounding the basketball better. He's averaging 6, but Id like to see that climb to 8 or so. This isn't a melo hate thread in any way because he actually my second favorite player. I really want Melo to be the front runner for MVP but I think those two stats will be what sets him back in voters minds, because LeBron and Durant have "flashier" numbers. Thoughts?
    (I don't normally start threads, so go easy on me guys)

vCash
    I'm not worried about the assists. He's finally being used to his strengths - as a finisher. We have 3 PG's handling the rock almost at all times. And he is more than willing to give the ball up when the double comes, it just usually doesn't result in a direct assist. This team moves the ball and makes the extra pass, assists constantly get scattered throughout the lineup as a result with multiple guys getting 2-3.

Boards could probably improve if you want to nitpick and our team sucks in that regard but I'm not sweating it.

I think guys like Brewer need to up their boards more than Melo.
    The value of elite scoring ability, by Phil Jackson:

"This is a guy, we recognize his talent, and his skill is the kind of skill and talent that gets you through playoff games where things get sticky, grind-out, and basketball becomes a force game and suddenly you need to have a player who has the capabilities of scoring with someone hanging on them in a situation thatís critical. Heís one of those players, one of the few players who can do that.Ē

vCash
    Not concerned about Melo

Would like to see our team rebounding/assist numbers go up

we are ranked around 24/25 I think

with that said our turnovers & ast/turn ratio is killer and makes up for some

vCash
    Yeah the assists don't really bother me either. As you said the good sign is that he's willing pass Out of the double team, even if he has a good shot, he will get someone a better shot. I'm not trying to nitpick but I would just like to see someone other than Chandler handle the load on the glass. Melo is more than capable of averaging 8-10 boards if he wanted to. He's already in the MVP race, but say he averaged like 7-8 rebounds 4-5 assists, ala Durant and LeBron, he would get more recognition. You know what I'm saying.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jesse2272 View Post
    Not concerned about Melo

Would like to see our team rebounding/assist numbers go up

we are ranked around 24/25 I think

with that said our turnovers & ast/turn ratio is killer and makes up for some
    Our assist numbers are low because we have the slowest pace in the league if I'm not mistaken. I would imagine with the amount of passes and 3s off penetration this team takes and makes we are pretty high up in assists when adjusted for pace.

We do play pretty slow, methodical half court ball so that might mean the % of assisted shots aren't quite as high.

"This is a guy, we recognize his talent, and his skill is the kind of skill and talent that gets you through playoff games where things get sticky, grind-out, and basketball becomes a force game and suddenly you need to have a player who has the capabilities of scoring with someone hanging on them in a situation thatís critical. Heís one of those players, one of the few players who can do that.Ē

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BleedGreen1014 View Post
    Yeah the assists don't really bother me either. As you said the good sign is that he's willing pass Out of the double team, even if he has a good shot, he will get someone a better shot. I'm not trying to nitpick but I would just like to see someone other than Chandler handle the load on the glass. Melo is more than capable of averaging 8-10 boards if he wanted to. He's already in the MVP race, but say he averaged like 7-8 rebounds 4-5 assists, ala Durant and LeBron, he would get more recognition. You know what I'm saying.
    For sure. Crazy how Durant upped those parts of his game.

vCash
    Everything is fine the way it is ... we're winning. Melo gets the hockey assist a lot of the times because he's very willing to pass out of the double team, which starts the team passing to find the open guy.

I'm more concerned with a championship run than an MVP run for Melo. I hope he would have the same perspective.

vCash
    In tough games when he needs to rebound he does.

Assist, eh, who cares, it's melo. He's passing out of double teams now, that's good enough for me.

vCash
    I don't want Melo playing point-forward. That's not his game.

Let him score and get a few rebounds, that is what he does best.

vCash
    Melo doesnt get assists because he passed out to of double teams and their is usually 2 pgs on the court so they make extra passes which leads to better looks. This why stats lie. Melo is hands down mvp team is 2 and 2 without him. 17-4 with him. Should be 18-3(dallas game he got slappe din the head down 1 with 20 seconds left) no foul

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by D-Leethal View Post
    Our assist numbers are low because we have the slowest pace in the league if I'm not mistaken. I would imagine with the amount of passes and 3s off penetration this team takes and makes we are pretty high up in assists when adjusted for pace.

We do play pretty slow, methodical half court ball so that might mean the % of assisted shots aren't quite as high.
    I see what your getting at

we are ranked 24th in pace with a 16.3% ast ratio

Houston for example is 1st in pace with almost the same ast ratio 16.6

I still would like that number to go up you have phi/chi tied for 27 both with a higher ast ratio

vCash
    Am I concerned? No. Next post.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by D-Leethal View Post
    For sure. Crazy how Durant upped those parts of his game.
    There playing at a faster pace, just like when we had Dantoni as the coach, Amare was averaging about 9 rebounds a game but he's not a good rebounder. I don't care about those numbers. Melo is the best right now! He's a real monster on the court. He can't be guarded! His impact on the game is like an overwhelming force that's sucking the life out of opposing teams.

Anji is offline The Nba is his GAME!!!!!!
    vCash
    I think too many of you guys worry about numbers too much.

To me being a good player doesn't stop at .9 TS%, or 3 assists versus 2.

If your team looks good with playerX, than that's all the matters. 2 extra free throws be damned!!!!!!

Melo grabs enough rebounds for us to be 19-6, that's all that matters.
    My mama said pray for them ****** that hate
    They just wanna be in your place.........

Shine on shine on shine on them ******
    Shine on them ****** (what it ain't what it is)
    Shine on shine on shine on them ******

vCash
    Melo is just worried about wins and that's what we are doing so it doesn't matter

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast