Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SILVER SEAVER View Post
    Sounds alot like that Jose Reyes fella.
    Not at all, his speed was his best asset, then his hit, then arm, then fielding, then power.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by YoungStuna28 View Post
    His dWAR on BR was negative too. I side with 2 of the 3 defensive metrics so I don't agree that he was a good CF. A good arm might not be the most important, but I think it makes a big difference if you have a cannon.
    Well 2 of the three say he was good. Being one run per year below average for 10 years in CF is good. His arm though probably cost him 4-5 runs per year, he made up some of it with range. So yeah, it matters. But a subpar hit tool, range, or fielding tool likely would all cost more than 5 runs.

If a good outfield arm were really worth many runs, then Jeff Francoeur would maybe be a good player.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by YoungStuna28 View Post
    I disagree. I'd rank arm first, speed second, hitting third, fielding fourth, and power last.

What good is it to be a great fielder if you aren't fast/agile enough to get to many balls? Arm is important for plays in the hole between 3B and 2B.

I'll take the average fielding SS with great range and arm over the great fielding SS with a good arm and average range or below.
    Fielding 4th?? WTF is that? LOL sorry but at the SS position which usually gets the most balls hit to in the infield, if you can't field it, then your arm and speed don't matter much. I don't see how fielding wouldn't be first.

If you have the strongest arm in baseball, but you're the worst at fielding, i don't see how that's better than someone who fields everything and has a weaker arm.... you'd cost the team so much more by not being able to field the ball, letting it get by you into the OF and such....
    Last edited by bklynny67; 12-20-2012 at 08:25 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by bklynny67 View Post
    Fielding 4th?? WTF is that? LOL sorry but at the SS position which usually gets the most balls hit to in the infield, if you can't field it, then your arm and speed don't matter much. I don't see how fielding wouldn't be first.

If you have the strongest arm in baseball, but you're the worst at fielding, i don't see how that's better than someone who fields everything and has a weaker arm.... you'd cost the team so much more by not being able to field the ball, letting it get by you into the OF and such....
    When I put it fourth, I don't mean they are a butcher out there, about an average fielder. I'll take an average fielder with great range and arm at SS than a great fielder with average range and great arm.

Also I mean this more as looking for talent as a scout rather than MLB players. You'd hope all players can field a ball at this level. You can always become a better fielder, but you can't increase range or get a stronger arm substantially.

vCash
    The point of this post is you need to draft solid fielders and not hope they hit 30 homers [see Duda] in order to hold a starting position. And SSs and CFers are usually the best athletes.
    Bob
    Met fan since 1969

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123