Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

vCash

Marte Trade: No More Square Pegs?

One of my annual blogs is about 'square pegs and round holes'...meaning the Mets former GM seemed to sign kids that were always without a position. Examples like Duda, Murphy, WFLores, Marte, Lutz, Carson, Mejia, Familia....the list could go on. Guys with raw talent but fielders who lacked good defensive skills and pitchers who lack command/focus/a third pitch who were destined to be shuttled around the field or back and forth between #5 starter and relieving. The BA Mets Top 30 Prospects list each year seemed littered with hitters with average to below average defensive skills who were blocked at their primary position [3B, 1B] or lacked the range or arm or instincts [Puello, Nieuwenhuis, Valdespin?] for a skill position...how many backup first basemen and fourth outfielders does a team need? How many mid-level relievers who throw 96 mph but cannot find home plate do you need? You see who Atlanta, Washington, Colorado, Arizona and St. Louis drafted after the Mets picked Havens #22, Javier [who?] Rodriguez #68 and Holt #33 [Friedrich #25--that's who I wanted as the draft unfolded after we got Ike Davis at #19, Schlereth #26, Lance Lynn #39, Kimbrel #96, DEspinosa #87] and you want to know why we cannot get 'lucky' once in awhile. At least we are not losing first round draft picks to sign overpriced free agents [BTW---the Angels got an extra first round pick from us when we signed KRod---they selected Randal Grichuk and Mike Trout with their back-to-back picks at #24 and our #25---our luck we woulda picked Grichuk!...and later in that day we picked Steve Matz #72 while KC took Wil Myers, listed as C/3B at #91].

Trading Marte may be the first of what I would call 'clearinghouse trades' to rid the roster of marginal talents to make room for better 'all around' players. Dumping Nickeas in the RA/TDA trade was also refreshing to see. Look at the 40 man roster from a year ago and now and you will see the Stinsons, Schwindens, Beatos, etc. gone. The perennial AAAA types should be next to go [McHugh, Hampson]. Yes you do need new talent to replace them but I think the FO has set its sights on signing or trading for skilled defensive players who can also hit [D'Arnaud vs. JPA] ---not just one or the other---and pitchers with at least three plus pitches [Wheeler and Syndergaard] and therefore top-of-the-rotation starting potential. They took gambles on Nimmo and Cecchini---we shall see if they pan out---but both are described as steady if not spectacular fielders who could stay at CF and SS and not be forced to LF or 2B when they reach the bigs...keeping their first round value intact if they are above average but not necessarily middle-of-the-order hitters. When there are no more fringe roster fillers you know that we, as a team and an organization, will have arrived.
    Bob
    Met fan since 1969

vCash
    They certainly didn't stick to that philosphy in last year draft. Taking a light hitting SS and 6 more SS just like him the same draft.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Toon88 View Post
    They certainly didn't stick to that philosphy in last year draft. Taking a light hitting SS and 6 more SS just like him the same draft.
    Are power-hitting SS available often?

Cecchini was the only true SS we selected. The rest weren't signed or are moved off the position.

vCash

Yes, They Are

Quote Originally Posted by YoungStuna28 View Post
    Are power-hitting SS available often?

Cecchini was the only true SS we selected. The rest weren't signed or are moved off the position.
    But the Mets didn't draft one. They went for the punch and judy hitting type. Wasted pick they panicked because they loss Reyes.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1...ospects/page/7

vCash
    But the Mets didn't draft one. They went for the punch and judy hitting type. Wasted pick they panicked because they loss Reyes.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1...ospects/page/7
    Lindor, Baez, and Machado were picked before the Mets were able to pick.

Martinson and Saladino are both old and both suck.

Nick Franklin and Xander Bogaerts are going to be moved off SS.

Profar and Rodriguez are the only ones I'll give to you, but they were IFA signings, and it can be a crapshoot. Rodriguez still has a lot to prove, and he might not even stick at SS. Profar is obviously the best prospect in baseball, so the other 29 teams missed out on him.

Cecchini like I said profiles a lot like Zack Cozart(who is on that list) he has a lot of time to get stronger and better as a baseball player. The guy you see on videos now is not the guy you'll see in 5 years. Be patient.

A SS I like a lot right now is Trevor Story, but the Mets picked Fulmer and I can't blame them for that. Not sure if he's going to stick at SS either though, which is why a pick like Cecchini is a good one. He is going to stick at the position.
    Last edited by YoungStuna; 12-20-2012 at 11:03 AM.

vCash
    Okay. Letís change gears for a moment. My team has an All-Star shortstop. They also have a couple decent shortstop prospects in the minors. And then they went out and drafted yet another shortstop in the first round of the most recent draft! What are they thinking?!? Do they have a clue?

Dear Disgruntled in Draftville; Yes, they do have a clue and they are thinking that they want to acquire the best collection of talent possible.

Then why so many shortstops?

I just told you! They want to acquire the best collection of talent possible! Just because a player is a shortstop in the minors does not mean he will play there in the Majors. And just because a player is drafted as a shortstop does not mean he will play there even in the minors, let alone if he ever makes it to the big leagues. Many, many, many major league players that are not shortstops were one day shortstops either in the minors, in college or in high school.

Think of it this way, when you have a high schooler with legitimate hopes of entertaining a professional career, heís going to be the best athlete on his team. And where do the best athletes play? Shortstop. It does not mean he will remain at shortstop at a more competitive level. For when he gets to the next level (either the minors or college) heíll be competing against several other guys who were also high school shortstops. And they canít all continue to play shortstop. The ones who do remain at shortstop in the minors may not even continue to stay there while they advance through the system.

Itís possible for a team to draft 5 shortstops among their first 10 selections, only truly anticipating that perhaps 2 of them will continue to play the position a couple seasons later. The others will move to other positions.

Most major league second basemen were minor league shortstops. Shortstops can grow out of their position and move to third base. A great majority of young shortstops are weeded out and moved to the outfield where fielding and arm strength are not as highly valued. Only the best remain.

Anyway, in general, shortstops are good athletes with quality tools. Why not try to accumulate as many good athletes with quality tools at positions all over the field?

ďNinety percent Iíll spend on good times, women, and Irish whiskey. The other ten percent Iíll probably waste.Ē
    - Tug McGraw, on his plans for his $75,000 salary

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by clayamtion View Post
    I don't agree with the scouting on tools at all. If speed was the least important tool for RF, then why can't Duda play there? Arm is the least important tool for a CF? lol

Fielding is important and all, but if you can't get to the ball or do anything once you got it, what good is it?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by YoungStuna28 View Post
    I don't agree with the scouting on tools at all. If speed was the least important tool for RF, then while can't Duda play there? Arm is the least important tool for a CF? lol

Fielding is important and all, but if you can't get to the ball or do anything once you got it, what good is it?
    A CF's throw to 2nd is a short one, as is there throw to 3rd. Is a CF speed less important than his Arm? That's a lol.

ďNinety percent Iíll spend on good times, women, and Irish whiskey. The other ten percent Iíll probably waste.Ē
    - Tug McGraw, on his plans for his $75,000 salary

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by clayamtion View Post
    A CF's throw to 2nd is a short one, as is there throw to 3rd. Is a CF speed less important than his Arm? That's a lol.
    How about CF's throw from deep in the gap of right center? That's far. There is a reason why guys like Juan Pierre fail as CF, they don't have the arm necessary for the position. My coach for instance rarely played me in CF because while I was really fast and could make plays, I couldn't throw very far.

You don't have to be a great fielder to be a great outfielder. Bryce Harper has raw tools and makes errors, but he's a great centerfielder because he has speed to cover ground and has a cannon arm.

vCash
    Cecchini is going to be a much better hitter then everyone expects him to be. I don't understand all the hate about him.

Presenting the 2013 New York Mets Outfield.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Rio40 View Post
    Cecchini is going to be a much better hitter then everyone expects him to be. I don't understand all the hate about him.
    I really hope so just so Met fans can eat their words. I'm all for being upset when the guy you want isn't drafted, but once the guy is in your farm system you should be supporting him and not bashing him every second you can.

vCash

Hope So

Quote Originally Posted by Rio40 View Post
    But doubt it. Look at this video and the hitch in his swing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Kfvhw5lY4s

vCash

There are 8 swings in that video, and he makes some sort of contact on every one.

Why are we so worried about a hitch?

vCash

You can tell nothing of the sort from that video.
    FELLOW SATINISTS INCLUDE:
    FoC, YS, Harry, Zmaster, Gotta, ArkansasMetsFan, KingsnQueens7, The-rock-man, Wrigheyes4MVP, Vendetta, Jim Labruno

vCash

He does have a little hitch but he gets his hands in a good spot and has a relatively short swing, the problem i see is he has a big uppercut, looks like a guy who will strike out alot.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast