Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 2013 Romero

vCash

2013 Romero

While reading in the main forum, someone suggested, when theorizing about rotation order that the #5 spot be a battle out of spring training between Romero/Happ/etc. to get it. Are people writing Ricky off as 2-3-4 type starter to the point that he's a fringe starter in our rotation? Is there any evidence to suggest that he's fallen off completely to the point where 2012 Romero is what to expect? I'm still a believer that he'll come to form to an extent, but not a complete bum. What is everyones thoughts or predictions on 2013 Romero?

vCash
    I really do expect him to return to form. It's not as if he forgot to pitch (although it looked like that sometimes), it was clearly a mental problem. But I think having him not being forced to be a leader is going to do a lot for him, and there's going to be a lot less pressure on him, even if he disappoints again. I definitely wouldn't write Ricky off.

vCash
    I expect him to be a number 3 type, statistically speaking. Same thing with Buehrle.

vCash
    Healthy knees, healthy elbow and a better team with less pressure on him should translate to good Ricky. 3.5 ish era is what i expect

vCash
    I don't think he'll struggle as much now that there's not as much pressure on him. He had mental lapses last year.

vCash
    Honestly tough to say. Not much changed aside from his complete loss of control. I don't know what it will take to get that back so it's hard to say whether he'll get it back or not.

vCash
    This is actually a pretty good look at why Romero may have fell from grace in 2012 and projections for the future:

http://blogs.thescore.com/mlb/2012/0...-ricky-romero/

vCash
    if he learns how to throw stikes again then i have faith he'll have a great season.

vCash
    he just needs to get his command back and throw more strikes.

vCash
    I have a feeling he'll be fine

the guy is too much of a competitor to not figure it out

I mean even if you can get a high 3 ERA out of him from the #5 spot, that will be great

props to vick27m

"Art was my first major in college but it was too hard, so I majored in math"
    Ron Artest

vCash
    If he concentrates on throwing strikes and keeping the ball down in the zone he will be good. The defence behind him is stronger this season.

vCash
    The pressure is off Ricky right now. He was looked upon to carry the whole team with all the injuries last season. With that and added pressure he put on himself after he began to struggle took over his head. Ricky will be fine.

vCash
    I hope Ricky rediscovers his form, but I'm not sure what magic wand is going to do this for him. Batters didn't start hitting him because he developed control issues, he developed control issues because batters were hitting him, he started trying to be too fine with his pitches and he slowly became a head case. And they started hitting him because they were laying off Ricky's out pitch, the devastating breaking ball in the dirt, and just waited for something up in the strike zone. I don't see this as something that gets corrected simply by having the winter off or moving down in the rotation.

I'm not writing him off at all but I do think his issues are more complex and difficult to solve than many of us are suggesting.

vCash
    At least he didn't posted a 10+ era like Halladay did after he had a good season. Ricky will figure it out.

vCash
    With a lot less pressure on him this season, he will pitch to his ability. I expect him to post mid 3 era, once he finds the strike zone...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast