Like us on Facebook


Follow us on Twitter





Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 31
  1. #1
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    1,431
    vCash
    1500

    Two observations/questions from a Nets fan

    Didn't wanna post in NBA forum in fear of backlash against the Knicks fans haha but:

    1. Are the Knicks the deepest team in the NBA?

    Last few years teams like Denver would easily be the answer but this year I've been very surprised. With Copeland becoming a regular rotation player, Priggy actually turning out to be a legitimate NBA player (unlike Teletovic), Rasheed still having life in those legs, this team looks scary good WITHOUT Amare, Shumpert, and Camby.

    2. Are the Knicks (kind of) playing a D'Antoni style offense?

    Mike Woodson is known for his defense but its the OFFENSE that is winning games this year. Most threes in the league (probably), run and gun with Kidd/Felton/Priggy, lots of extra passing. Damn, if I didn't know better I would think it's still D'Antoni running this team.
    I survived Stephon Marbury's inability
    Jason Kidd, Kenyon Martin, Richard Jefferson era
    I survived them all leaving, a 12-70 season and not getting the #1 pick
    Mikhail Prokhorov buys the Nets
    I survived Melodrama
    Deron Williams traded here
    I survived 248 games missed due to injury, 5 d-league call-ups, 14 different lineups in ONE season, Johan Petro
    I survived Dwightmare
    I survived Avery & PJC's rotations
    THE Offseason - Success TBD

  2. #2
    Anji's Avatar
    Anji is offline The Nba is his GAME!!!!!!
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    OrangeCounty NY
    Posts
    8,874
    vCash
    1500
    MDA influenced offense??? Yes
    Are we running SSOL??? NO

    We are a half court team centered around Melo and Felton/TC pick&roll. We embrace the three, but we don't play uptempo at all. We took the best of MDA's offense and chucked the garbage(see LA).

    My mama said pray for them ****** that hate
    They just wanna be in your place.........


    Shine on shine on shine on them ******
    Shine on them ****** (what it ain't what it is)
    Shine on them ****** (what it ain't what it is)
    Shine on them ****** (what it ain't what it is)
    Shine on shine on shine on them ******

  3. #3
    Anji's Avatar
    Anji is offline The Nba is his GAME!!!!!!
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    OrangeCounty NY
    Posts
    8,874
    vCash
    1500
    We look for the best shot while MDA looks for the first Shot, total different mindset.
    My mama said pray for them ****** that hate
    They just wanna be in your place.........


    Shine on shine on shine on them ******
    Shine on them ****** (what it ain't what it is)
    Shine on them ****** (what it ain't what it is)
    Shine on them ****** (what it ain't what it is)
    Shine on shine on shine on them ******

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    10,025
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by JerseyPalahniuk View Post
    Didn't wanna post in NBA forum in fear of backlash against the Knicks fans haha but:

    1. Are the Knicks the deepest team in the NBA?

    Last few years teams like Denver would easily be the answer but this year I've been very surprised. With Copeland becoming a regular rotation player, Priggy actually turning out to be a legitimate NBA player (unlike Teletovic), Rasheed still having life in those legs, this team looks scary good WITHOUT Amare, Shumpert, and Camby.

    2. Are the Knicks (kind of) playing a D'Antoni style offense?

    Mike Woodson is known for his defense but its the OFFENSE that is winning games this year. Most threes in the league (probably), run and gun with Kidd/Felton/Priggy, lots of extra passing. Damn, if I didn't know better I would think it's still D'Antoni running this team.
    1. Knicks are probably top 3 in depth. Every player on the roster can play and contribute meaningfully in any NBA rotation.

    2. Woodson is still running D'Antoni's offensive sets, but at a slower pace and with some of his own wrinkles. The Knicks aren't looking to push the tempo like D'Antoni wanted, but rather using D'Antoni's genius ways of getting good open shots and making defenses stretch until they break. The thing that has really made the whole thing work is having plenty of low turnover, ball handling playmakers on the team. It makes it very difficult for teams to try to "get the ball out of one player's hands".

    Grunwald has done a great job of assembling good fitting pieces together to make the system work.

    ALSO: The Knicks scouts have been doing a great job of finding talent.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    bronx newyork
    Posts
    4,667
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by KnicksFan4Years View Post
    1. Knicks are probably top 3 in depth. Every player on the roster can play and contribute meaningfully in any NBA rotation.

    2. Woodson is still running D'Antoni's offensive sets, but at a slower pace and with some of his own wrinkles. The Knicks aren't looking to push the tempo like D'Antoni wanted, but rather using D'Antoni's genius ways of getting good open shots and making defenses stretch until they break. The thing that has really made the whole thing work is having plenty of low turnover, ball handling playmakers on the team. It makes it very difficult for teams to try to "get the ball out of one player's hands".

    Grunwald has done a great job of assembling good fitting pieces together to make the system work.

    ALSO: The Knicks scouts have been doing a great job of finding talent.
    this
    Quote Originally Posted by Munkeysuit View Post
    Rondo #1 PG in the league ...he has a ring to prove it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Blitzbolt View Post
    Wall will win more and will be better then Irving Quote me.
    Quote Originally Posted by bearadonisdna View Post
    u can't build a franchise around lebron. Its been proven already. he can't attract players and has to follow to be matched up with talent.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    2,399
    vCash
    1500
    I think Woodson not being a good offensive coach is a myth. This guy coaches both ends of the floor very well, I always thought he did.

  7. #7
    Anji's Avatar
    Anji is offline The Nba is his GAME!!!!!!
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    OrangeCounty NY
    Posts
    8,874
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by strahan92osi72 View Post
    I think Woodson not being a good offensive coach is a myth. This guy coaches both ends of the floor very well, I always thought he did.
    It definitely is, people want to say we are just running MDA's offense tweaked are wrong. We are running Woodsons offense tweaked, the offense that had the Hawks the second best in the league the year he left.

    He borrowed from MDa, but we are not running SSOL.

    My mama said pray for them ****** that hate
    They just wanna be in your place.........


    Shine on shine on shine on them ******
    Shine on them ****** (what it ain't what it is)
    Shine on them ****** (what it ain't what it is)
    Shine on them ****** (what it ain't what it is)
    Shine on shine on shine on them ******

  8. #8
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    36,552
    vCash
    1500
    funny thing is you mention a player who may not even dress in a few weeks.

    We will have soon Amare, Iman, Sheed, Camby, all not playing available soon.

    And in Novak, JR, Pablo, and thats 12 who are allowed to dress, leaving White, Cope, and thomas all have contributed this year as well.

    I'm not sure you can point to any othe team where players 11-15 have contributed more.



    Now I can't fly my airplane

  9. #9
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    36,552
    vCash
    1500
    I don't think having Melo, Kidd, Novak, Felton, Cope, all shooting over 40% from three hurts Woody either lol



    Now I can't fly my airplane

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    LI-NY
    Posts
    23,745
    vCash
    1500
    I think anyone thinking a coach will get guys to move the ball like a championship team without the right personnel is crazy. Every coach preaches ball movement. Kidd and co. are the ones who get the most credit. Woody has done a terrific job nonetheless.
    The value of elite scoring ability, by Phil Jackson:

    "This is a guy, we recognize his talent, and his skill is the kind of skill and talent that gets you through playoff games where things get sticky, grind-out, and basketball becomes a force game and suddenly you need to have a player who has the capabilities of scoring with someone hanging on them in a situation thatís critical. Heís one of those players, one of the few players who can do that.Ē

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    2,399
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by Anji View Post
    It definitely is, people want to say we are just running MDA's offense tweaked are wrong. We are running Woodsons offense tweaked, the offense that had the Hawks the second best in the league the year he left.

    He borrowed from MDa, but we are not running SSOL.

    100% agree. Woody finally getting the recognition he deserves as a coach. Being in a low key environment like Atlanta can do that. Great move for him coming to NY and showcasing his coaching abilities.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    BK, NY
    Posts
    2,419
    vCash
    1500
    Yes and Yes....

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    1,733
    vCash
    1500
    Anybody still mad they didn't go after Phil?

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Behind the 8 ball
    Posts
    12,155
    vCash
    1500
    Mike Dantoni....i shudder at the thought

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    5,008
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by D-Leethal View Post
    I think anyone thinking a coach will get guys to move the ball like a championship team without the right personnel is crazy. Every coach preaches ball movement. Kidd and co. are the ones who get the most credit. Woody has done a terrific job nonetheless.
    Woody deserves some credit, D'Antoni's offensive sets are still $$$ when adjusted for the roster, but we really can't understate the impact of having Jason Kidd on the team.

    He's the definition of a player/coach.

    Our play without Jason Kidd is actually visible.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •