Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
    vCash
    The pick and roll defense mystified me at times last year. This year, there have been too many games where it has been flat out bad. It looks like our perimeter guys are making more of an effort to get around the screen than last year, whereas it was more likely to be a trap last year. But more effort doesn't always yield better results. Brand was and would still be our best screen defender. So losing him hurts. But it shouldn't hurt this bad. It was going so poorly, that out of timeouts, the Houston head coach was calling for simple pick and roll/pop plays....with success.
    Quote Originally Posted by RickyPrior View Post
    When you go out of the way just to hate...no one takes you seriously.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by 76erEaglePhils View Post
    Sixers gave up well over 30 points each quarter accept one this is what happens when you put together a completely flawed roster. This is absolute comedy at it's finest watching the Sixers try to go up against teams with a bunch of backups. You get exactly what you pay for. Bynum is not the savior that many fans think " If we just had Bynum we would be contenders" that is so far from the truth. This reminds me of the time Sixers fans thought they were contenders when they brought in Brand. The only difference is Brand actually played. Bynum probably won't even see the floor this season
    There where red flags with Brand when he got here like not really having a place in the sort of offense we ran.
    That being said This team is built around Bynum tons of shooters and playmakers with the post all to himself tell me how it wouldn't work id love to hear it.

2012 allstar

vCash

Game 26 (12-19-12): Sixers (12-13, 4-6A) @ Rockets (12-12, 9-5H)

Everyone keeps saying this team was built around Bynum. But the ****ed up part is that it actually wasn't. We signed all these players (besides J-Rich, obviously) well before the Bynum trade fell into our lap. It's not like we signed Hawes, Kwame, Dorell, Swaggy, etc know that we were trading for Bynum later in the summer. Now, Bynum is obviously a fantastic fit for this roster and would make everyone that much better, but the messed up part is that what you see now is essentially what the FO envisioned the team to be at first. And they thought it was an improvement over last year based on all their talk about how they knew they had maxed out the roster. The team was not built around Bynum. The team was built the way it is right now, and completely intentionally. I hope they realize how flawed the roster that they built actually is.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by sixer04fan View Post
    Everyone keeps saying this team was built around Bynum. But the ****ed up part is that it actually wasn't. We signed all these players (besides J-Rich, obviously) well before the Bynum trade fell into our lap. It's not like we signed Hawes, Kwame, Dorell, Swaggy, etc know that we were trading for Bynum later in the summer. Now, Bynum is obviously a fantastic fit for this roster and would make everyone that much better, but the messed up part is that what you see now is essentially what the FO envisioned the team to be at first. And they thought it was an improvement over last year based on all their talk about how they knew they had maxed out the roster. The team was not built around Bynum. The team was built the way it is right now, and completely intentionally. I hope they realize how flawed the roster that they built actually is.
    well at that time was when iggy harkless and vucvic where still here as well

2012 allstar

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by thevcballer View Post
    well at that time was when iggy harkless and vucvic where still here as well
    Right. But the main problems that everyone keeps addressing are A) Lack of any offensive post presence that can draw double teams inside and open up shots for our perimeter players, and B) Lack of any interior defensive presence, and C) Rebounding

Don't see how Iggy and Vuc really solve those problems. They'd help with depth and obviously we could use a good perimeter defender, but this team would still be massively flawed even with those guys. Regardless, the main point is that this team was not built around Bynum. The FO pretty much built the team as it is now on purpose, before Bynum was even an option. And that bothers me.

vCash
    you dont know that for sure, although its likely. I would imagine those Bynum (or Howard) talks awent on for a little while before we ever heard anything.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by 2-ONE-5 View Post
    you dont know that for sure, although its likely. I would imagine those Bynum (or Howard) talks awent on for a little while before we ever heard anything.
    Yeah, I agree with this too. I remember hearing DiLeo mentioning that the Bynum talks all started when we inquired about a Dwight Howard trade in the beginning of the summer. I think most trade talks go on longer and deeper than any of us ever know about. Especially with the Sixers, who seem to be great at staying secretive with their FO operations.

But I'm taking that into consideration though and still betting that there's no way they knew, or were even confident that they would land Bynum before making the moves that they did. I really think the original plan was simply to replace Lou with Nick, once Lou got away... To resign Hawes... To sign Kwame... To start Hawes and Kwame together... Etc... That's all we heard from them all along way before Bynum came around. It's a mess.

vCash
    https://twitter.com/tmoorepburbs

Rockets' 125 points Wed were most allowed by a Doug Collins team since Nov. 28, 1988, when Bulls gave up 128 in loss to Cavaliers.
    #Sixers have allowed average of 109.5 ppg & 50.7% shooting in 4 losses w/o Holiday. Given up 110+ points 4 times this season (3x last year).
    ...Ouch

vCash
    Well, while it's possible the Brand Amnesty was done in part to get more compliments around the perimeter for Bynum....it seems to me that it was done more because that's what Doug Collins wanted. Amnestying Brand got us Kwame and Swaggy, essentially, while keeping us under the luxury tax. I think Doug hoped he was getting a taller Lou Williams and was fearful of what losing that bench scoring would do to his W/L record (mistake 1). I think he thought the Kwame/Lavoy combo would be able to replace Brand's defense (mistake 2). I think he though that ET's defense at SF would be better and wouldn't be as big a part of the offense as he's been (mistakes 3/4).

This is why coaches shouldn't have too much influence. That being said, I don't think the roster is as bad as they've been playing. I just don't think the head coach is putting it together well. He teaches basketball 101 well, gets them to put in the effort, and has enough buy in. But he gets way too much credit in this town for being able to put the parts together well on the floor...either in terms of player combinations or roles. I don't think he's very good at that. And for a coach who improves teams defensively statistically, he sure lacks the ability to establish an effective team approach to pick and roll defense.
    Last edited by wannabGM; 12-20-2012 at 11:45 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by RickyPrior View Post
    When you go out of the way just to hate...no one takes you seriously.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345