Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 4 of 17 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by westside51283 View Post
    morales is smoak but older he's not althletic and runs slower then montero we already have a team full of people like this.
    Hahaha ok buddy.

Let me know when smoak hits anywhere close to .280/.335/.490
    You have no idea how excited I am right now.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by baseball_is_lif View Post
    That is true, but what about a guy like Zunino?

I just feel like we have to consider what Montero's long term plan is if he stays here. As of now, he's looking more and more like a DH-only type player. Does anyone feel like he will be able to switch to 1B and be anything better than decent?

Montero's bat (potential) is really all the value he has. Forget the fact that he has to figure out how to make that work in Safeco, but what do we do if he starts to look like Smoak 2.0? As a DH, he provides even less than Smoak does now, as Smoak is at least a body at 1B. Montero would just turn into a hole in the lineup or a useless bench player.

Basically, with Montero's lack of speed and defensive ability, I worry that if he can't turn into an offensive star... M's loose out on what his value could get us now.
    I dont see the problem with him DHing. Edgar made a career out of that.

If we trade him for an OF, sure we may add a MOTO bat, but we also might lose one. It just doesnt help.

Zunino at C, Montero at DH, and Morales/Smoak at 1st. Use the specs or money to get an OF.

We cant trade him because he might turn into Smoak. Upton might turn into Smoak too, but I dont think anyone plans on it.

vCash
    How do people expect this team to win if they want to trade everyone away after one season? You need to estabish a consistent winning team, not funnel guys in and out all the time.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by baseball_is_lif View Post
    Source?

Wouldn't surprise me if Z didn't make this trade until he knew who he would have replacing Vargas in the rotation.
    It was said during his radio interview earlier today.

He didn't specify FA or trade. I imagine its Swisher.
    I'm In.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jej View Post
    How do people expect this team to win if they want to trade everyone away after one season? You need to estabish a consistent winning team, not funnel guys in and out all the time.
    Who was the last successfully developed hitter in Seattle?

Jeremy Reed, Jeff Clement, Adam Moore, Michael Saunders, Justin Smoak...

These are just names I could think of right now. All came up or came over with big expectations. All got more than 1 year to prove themselves.

Even back in 2001, we acquired all the guys that were our offense: Cameron, Boone, Olerud, Guillen. Sure we had Edgar, but my point is that it sure seems like Seattle is not a good place for young hitters to be introduced to the big leagues.

I'm not saying get rid of guys after 1 year. Montero is a unique situation because of the play of Jaso last year and acquisition of Zunino.

By turn into Smoak, I mean be a player that was hyped/scouted/ expected to be good/great hitter and then never fully arrive. Justin Upton has already proven to be able to hit at this level.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by bling24 View Post
    Trade Montero back to the Yanks for Granderson. Obviously we would have to throw some things in, but make it work.
    This is a terrible idea.

I like this move and can't wait to see what's next. We finally did something and it was a good something

vCash
    i think its foolish to pidgeon hole montero at 23yrs as a DH, Ms sent him to agility camps this offseason so that should be a clue.

i highly doubt montero is a long term catcher, i think he can platoon at C til zunino is ready and develop montero as a 1b... we dont have anyone else in the organization, this keeps him in all IL games.

looking at smoak's career #s and year by year breakdown i dont know why anyone wants him at 1b, a situational player at best and like jack said today he has to play his way into a role now... looking at his track record cant be optimistic.

i think the team has hopes to keep morales long term and i think he is a perfect fit as a DH, PH extrordinaire in IL as he is close to getting in his 30s.

i like morales, always have and am a believer. he will get pitched differently in SEA and id like to see his walks go up while keeping his BA the same, and i think he has that kinda talent. i

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jej View Post
    Hahaha ok buddy.

Let me know when smoak hits anywhere close to .280/.335/.490
    You know Morales ain't going to hit .280 at Safeco and playing for the Mariners more like .220 with 17 homers and that if he stays healthy.

vCash
    some people. seriously

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by westside51283 View Post
    You know Morales ain't going to hit .280 at Safeco and playing for the Mariners more like .220 with 17 homers and that if he stays healthy.
    It's really exhausting listening to Mariner fans.

None of us know anything. Except the fact that he hit 34 home runs before getting injured. In another big time pitcher's park.
    I'm In.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Iansnightout View Post
    It's really exhausting listening to Mariner fans.

None of us know anything. Except the fact that he hit 34 home runs before getting injured. In another big time pitcher's park.
    ian, its not even worth the time and effort to reason with people like that

vCash
    I actually like this pick up by you hopefully he can stay healthy

Michael Wacha

5-5, 2.79 Era, 83 So, 1.12 Whip

vCash
    no way we coulda got more for vargas... morales is a bonafide MOTO bat, not a premier one but hes instantly our best hitter no doubt. the downside is vargas goes to maybe his best landing spot which happens to be in our division, but i still think we take on less risk.

also the felix factor, i think they are buds, would like to see us extend both of em.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by A.Mopp View Post
    ian, its not even worth the time and effort to reason with people like that
    Isn't that a fact. My dads the same way. Anything they do is absolutely ****ing stupid. I hate that ****.

vCash
    yeah thats annoying. unless its a sheer lopsided move people will complain

Page 4 of 17 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast