"Of course it's difficult to see your Cy Young Award pitcher and a 20-game winner be traded," Wright said. "But I didn't sign to come back here for kind of a short-term-type, win-now-or-never-win-type approach. I'm going to be here for eight more years. And, this is my opinion: I would rather build and get that solid foundation where you get to the point where we can contend every year and have that solid base.

"Like I said, the trade fills needs for both sides. Of course, you're talking about losing a 20-game winner. They're very difficult to come by. And I know very little about the younger players we got back. But just from what I've read, you're talking about one of the best catching prospects in the game and one of the best pitching prospects in the game. So how can you not be excited about what the future holds with those two plus the [Matt] Harveys and [Zack] Wheelers? So I'm excited about what the future holds."

Alderson insisted the Mets are not "punting" the coming season with the subtraction of Dickey and a lack of activity courting higher-end free agents.

Wright nonetheless understands that next season will be an uphill battle for the Mets.

"You look around in our division and, of course, with or without R.A. you're talking about a very, very competitive and very, very tough division," Wright said. "Obviously you lose a 20-game winner and we understand that it's going to be a tremendous challenge. But it's the same thing as last year, when the expectations for us as a team from the outside were very low. We got off to a tremendous start and couldn't finish and really trailed off the second half.

"By no means is this conceding and looking to 2014 and beyond. We're going to go out there and expect to win next year. And, obviously, it sets us up nicely in the upcoming years with some of the young talent that we have."
http://espn.go.com/new-york/mlb/stor...y-dickey-trade