Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    vCash

Let the Smear Job begin

http://t.co/8c0djice #Mets
    This past week at Citi Field, R.A. Dickey broke character — as one of Santa’s elves, at a Mets holiday party centered around young victims of Hurricane Sandy — to show his true character. All about himself once again, Dickey issued the laughable threat that, if the Mets didn’t extend his contract, he’d bolt the organization after 2013.
    The Mets are prepared to call the knuckleballer’s bluff with flair. As of last night, the club was engaged in serious trade discussions that would send the reigning National League Cy Young Award winner to Toronto for stud catching prospect Travis d’Arnaud and perhaps other, lesser players.
    Forget about Dickey, who is not expected to sign an extension with Toronto, bolting Flushing for the 2014 campaign. Now he’ll be gone a year earlier than he predicted, for the top prospect in Toronto’s rich farm system, a guy the Mets can control through 2018.
    The Mets are poised to pull this off even though Dickey’s unwieldy personality, the same personality that fueled his remarkable climb to greatness, mitigated the Mets’ options. Dickey’s remarks Tuesday underlined how risky it would be to employ Dickey as a one-year, $5-million, extension-less player in 2013.
    This transaction marks a brave new path for the Mets, one in which sound baseball operations trumps sentiment. This in the same week when the Yankees are giving 39-year-old Ichiro Suzuki, who clocked 10 mediocre weeks and two phenomenal ones in The Bronx, a two-year extension seemingly because fans adored his inability to hit home runs.
    Dickey’s request for two years and $26 million, beyond the $5 million due to him next season, was eminently reasonable. Yet that doesn’t mean that the Mets needed to concede. He is 38, and while the data on knuckleballers’ aging bodes well for the right-hander, it’s not a huge sample by which to go. There’s reasonable doubt that Dickey can replicate his outstanding 2012 campaign.
    And, in an underappreciated part of this saga that soared into visibility this week, Dickey can be a handful. He clearly has enjoyed his rise from the ashes into a Flushing folk hero, and while he deserves praise and riches, there’s also the matter of him having to coexist peacefully in a workplace. His gift for self-promotion and his love of attention don’t endear himself to most teammates. Instead, his durability and outstanding results led him to be appreciated but far from beloved.
    If Dickey can’t control his verbiage at a holiday party — “Folks, not today, not with the kids here” was all he had to say to reporters — then how would a full season of uncertainty feel? How many times would Dickey spout off publicly? Or work behind the scenes to make the Mets look bad and boost his own brand?
    That’s why Mets general manager Sandy Alderson has been saying all along that he wasn’t enthralled by the notion of keeping Dickey for the one year. And it’s why there’s something to be said for selling high on Dickey. If he puts up another Cy Young campaign for Toronto in 2013 and d’Arnaud flops for the Mets, then we’ll rightly rip the Mets. But this is a sound process, and d’Arnaud, a potential All-Star at a position in which the supply has never appeared weaker, is the sort of high-impact player Alderson said he would need to get to let go of the ultra-popular Dickey.
    Dickey’s love of his narrative, the embracing of his professional challenge, helped him defy the odds. Now it’s time for the Mets to let the Blue Jays, armed for a 2013 pennant run, roll the dice on him and build a Dickey-free future in Flushing.

vCash
    I hate this crap - Dickey was more than a stand up guy and was not unreasonable. Just because he wasn't going to the press saying "I love New York and am ready to resign! I just hope the team can get as much as they can for me in a trade!" doesn't mean you have to go out there and bash the guy last second before trading him.
    There are no men like me, only me.

vCash
    This is a smear????

Seems like we're being a little overly sensitive here.

vCash
    I don't blame Dickey for being upset. The heck with the Wilpons. They are scum.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jomota48 View Post
    This is a smear????

Seems like we're being a little overly sensitive here.
    Yeah, this is a smear job, absolutely:

And, in an under appreciated part of this saga that soared into visibility this week, Dickey can be a handful. He clearly has enjoyed his rise from the ashes into a Flushing folk hero, and while he deserves praise and riches, there’s also the matter of him having to coexist peacefully in a workplace. His gift for self-promotion and his love of attention don’t endear himself to most teammates. Instead, his durability and outstanding results led him to be appreciated but far from beloved.
    If Dickey can’t control his verbiage at a holiday party — “Folks, not today, not with the kids here” was all he had to say to reporters — then how would a full season of uncertainty feel? How many times would Dickey spout off publicly? Or work behind the scenes to make the Mets look bad and boost his own brand?
    Is he kidding? I swear, you have to wonder if maybe this idiot isn't auditioning for a job writing for The Onion. He's concerned whether Dickey, arguably the best presence in the Met clubhouse, can coexist peacefully in the workplace? Really?

Dickey has a gift for self promotion? No one ever heard of this guy for the first 12 years of his career but somehow he's got a gift for self promotion? Gee, I wonder if he'd say the same thing about Cy Young. "Sure, he's pitched great but come on! Did he really have to arrange it so they named an award after him? How much more self centered can you get?"

This is beyond moronic. Can't control his verbiage at a holiday party because he had the audacity to be candid when answering a reporter's questions?

RA Dickey has done nothing wrong and said nothing wrong and somehow, this schmuck wants to turn the team's best pitcher, the unlikeliest of all Cy Young award winners, into a villain. My question is whether this was just another bored writer waxing poetic to get some attention or whether someone from the Mets had his ear.

But either way, it's a smear job.
    Last edited by fanofclendennon; 12-15-2012 at 08:05 AM.
    "Mr. Martin Tanner, Baritone, of Dayton, Ohio made his Town Hall debut last night. He came well prepared, but unfortunately his presentation was not up to contemporary professional standards. His voice lacks the range of tonal color necessary to make it consistently interesting. Full time consideration of another endeavor might be in order."

vCash
    I can only imagine the reaction if someone says something really bad about him.

These things are always so one sided.

If Dickey says the Mets are playing hardball in negotiations he is "looking out for his family's future."

The Mets say the same thing and they are "greedy and insulting to Dickey."

We all like to watch Dickey play. We don't watch Alderson "general manage" or the Wilnotpons "own" so there is an overwhelming inclination to side with the players and give him the benefit of almost every doubt so long as he seems like a nice guy.

No one on these boards has any idea if Dickey loves all the attention he received and if it alienated other players in the clubhouse. He seems like a nice guy, but who here really knows.

If I was asked at a party about financial negotiations, I would side step the question but he chose to handle it another way. His choice, didn't bother me one way or another. It was blown way out of proportion.

Frankly, his image is blown way out of proportion. In my opinion.
    Last edited by jomota; 12-15-2012 at 08:31 AM.

vCash
    I don't see a smear job here. Just the business of baseball.

vCash
    I can only imagine the reaction if someone says something really bad about him.

These things are always so one sided.

If Dickey says the Mets are playing hardball in negotiations he is "looking out for his family's future."

The Mets say the same thing and they are "greedy and insulting to Dickey."

We all like to watch Dickey play. We don't watch Alderson "general manage" or the Wilnotpons "own" so there is an overwhelming inclination to side with the players and give him the benefit of almost every doubt so long as he seems like a nice guy.

No one on these boards have any idea if Dickey loves all the attention he got and if it alienated other players in the clubhouse. He seems like a nice guy, but who here really knows.

If I was asked at a party about financial negotiations, I would side step the question but he chose to handle it another way. His choice, didn't bother me one way or another. It was blown way out of proportion.

Frankly, his image is blown way out of proportion. In my opinion.
    He deserved none of those comments. Upon joining the Mets in May 2010, there have been zero reports implying that Dickey:

• can be a handful
    • would have difficulties existing peacefully in the workplace
    • Has a gift for Self promotion
    • Has a love of attention that doesnt endear himself to most teammates
    • Can't control his verbiage
    • (Might) work behind the scenes to make the Mets look bad and boost his own brand

You're right when you say "No one on these boards have any idea if Dickey loves all the attention he got and if it alienated other players in the clubhouse. He seems like a nice guy, but who here really knows." But come on jomota, don't you find it the least bit odd that there were zero reports about any of these concerns until this recent contract negotiation? Don't you find the timing to be a bit more than a coincidence?

Just wondering.
    Last edited by fanofclendennon; 12-15-2012 at 08:36 AM.
    "Mr. Martin Tanner, Baritone, of Dayton, Ohio made his Town Hall debut last night. He came well prepared, but unfortunately his presentation was not up to contemporary professional standards. His voice lacks the range of tonal color necessary to make it consistently interesting. Full time consideration of another endeavor might be in order."

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by fanofclendennon View Post
    He deserved none of those comments. Upon joining the Mets in May 2010, there have been zero reports implying that Dickey:

• can be a handful
    • would have difficulties existing peacefully in the workplace
    • Has a gift for Self promotion
    • Has a love of attention that doesnt endear himself to most teammates
    • Can't control his verbiage
    • (Might) work behind the scenes to make the Mets look bad and boost his own brand

You're right when you say "No one on these boards have any idea if Dickey loves all the attention he got and if it alienated other players in the clubhouse. He seems like a nice guy, but who here really knows." But come on jomota, don't you find it the least bit odd that there were zero reports about any of these concerns until this recent contract negotiation? Don't you find the timing to be a bit more than a coincidence?

Just wondering.
    I find it a non-issue.

And as I said, none of us know how he is seen on the team. You can assume that the writer of the article knows what he is talking about or not. I have no idea and it doesn't change my opinion of Dickey one way or the other. I just don't see it as a "smear" or all that much of a big deal.

vCash
    I find it a non-issue.

And as I said, none of us know how he is seen on the team. You can assume that the writer of the article knows what he is talking about or not. I have no idea and it doesn't change my opinion of Dickey one way or the other. I just don't see it as a "smear" or all that much of a big deal.
    Well, I just find it odd, if not appalling, that we're now hearing things about Dickey's character that we hadn't heard since he joined the team.

And yeah, maybe I am a little oversensitive. But if I am, that's only because it kills me to see Dickey's name dragged through the mud after we've had to endure so many crap players over the years both in terms of talent and character.

I'm sure Dickey isn't perfect. He's entitled to be a human. But geez, at least let him do something wrong before criticizing him.

vCash
    What an absurd piece of garbage by Davidoff.

I'm in favor of trading Dickey if elite prospects can be had, but the man has been nothing short of wonderful in every way as a Met - both on and off the field.

To try and paint him so negatively on the eve of his departure is bush league nonsense.

Thank you for everything RA. You will be missed.

We'll Leave a Light On For You

Believers: mets77, JoeGamer81, Harry777, YoungStuna, Sandman, METMANYAK, FoC, Gotta, WrigheyesMVP, Mr. Koobs

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by fanofclendennon View Post
    Well, I just find it odd, if not appalling, that we're now hearing things about Dickey's character that we hadn't heard since he joined the team.

And yeah, maybe I am a little oversensitive. But if I am, that's only because it kills me to see Dickey's name dragged through the mud after we've had to endure so many crap players over the years both in terms of talent and character.

I'm sure Dickey isn't perfect. He's entitled to be a human. But geez, at least let him do something wrong before criticizing him.
    "Dragged through the mud?" That's a bit of s stretch here FOC.

The most I got out if that article was that in a room full of 25 guys with towels wrapped around them, someone might not have liked the attention Dickey was getting. All those guys with microphones standing around asking how "you would approach Dickey's knuckleball." Probably some petty jealousy at play.

Put me in a room of 25 people and one or two might not like me either. (Hard to believe, I know.)

Non issue.

vCash
    Sadly Dickey was too celebral for the Mets. I would love to keep him and I have no problems with his comments. If the Wilpons had run the business correct, we would be keeping Dickey and adding some bats for a championship run. Sadly we throw away Wagner, Reyes,made some hasty moves, got into a financial malestrom, and then tie the front office hands.

If Dickey brings us some players to build us back up. Then lets do it and say Dickey is in a pennant race and good luck. Lets leave the smear behind, he deserves better and so do we!
    " You seek Yoda!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by bootleg42 View Post
    I don't blame Dickey for being upset. The heck with the Wilpons. They are scum.
    None of the above has anything to do with the Wilpons.

Also, according to Andy Martino this AM on WFAN, the issues described in this article are totally overblown. This is typical media crap meant to sell newspapers, and gullible fans continue to lick their boots like starving dogs.
    "The 90 wins is about challenge. It's about changing the conversation. It's about framing questions for ourselves as to how we get there. So I stand by the notion that we need to get better, and in doing so we need to set concrete goals for ourselves so that we have sort of specific conversations among ourselves about how we're going to get there." -- Mr. Alderson

vCash
    Dickey was a team player everyday, I can't say that about everyone on the team. Get over it Mets and put on your big boy pants!
    " You seek Yoda!

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast