Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by eltwo View Post
    How much were we going to offer Pelfrey? More than $4 million plus $1.5 million in performance bonuses, including $100,000 for 150 innings, $150,000 for 160 innings, $250,000 each for 170, 180 and 190 innings and $500,000 for 200 innings?
    If it was more than $4m then I guess you're right.

vCash
    Why do we need so many starters? We have Santana, Niese, Harvey, Gee, Mejia, Hefner. We only need to sign at the most 1 more, with Wheeler coming up midseason (hopefully).

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Harry777 View Post
    Why do we need so many starters? We have Santana, Niese, Harvey, Gee, Mejia, Hefner. We only need to sign at the most 1 more, with Wheeler coming up midseason (hopefully).
    Clearly, the answer to that one is Santana is old and a year removed from surgery. Gee is coming off of surgery. Mejia hasn't shown anybody anything on the major league level yet, much less the minors. And Hefner is probably, at least until he develops some more, a long man out of the pen. Plus injuries happen which is why you can never have enough pitching.

vCash
    I rather see one of the young guys get a shot.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sick Of It All View Post
    Yeah use whatever money is available to find OF help.

vCash
    Or a pen arm.

Quietly many solid pen ar,s have already signed. Adams signed with the Phils.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by KingZoFkWeeNz View Post
    I like the idea of Santana and Liriano rejoicing once more.
    I've been posting that idea for weeks...
    Bob
    Met fan since 1969

vCash
    I say sign both Liriano and Jurjens.

Both deals should be 2 years with club option for a 3rd with a buyout.
    Reason for the long deals is because both are coming off surgery and will need time to get back into it. If either pan out you have them as trade bait to a contender in 2014 who can cut ties at year end for very little expense...or you exercise the option for 2015 when we're hopefully competing.

vCash
    Me too. 2013 is a rebuild season, so the Mets should take opportunities to see what they have.

vCash
    By the young guys, do you mean Mejia and Familia? Or are you including McHugh and Hefner? Because I think, of the four of them, only Mejia has a viable shot at making the rotation, and he will certainly get his chance to prove his point in ST.

But we need more depth. I think it was the Oracle of Delphi who said "you can never have enough pitching". I would sign 2 of Liriano, Jurrjens or Dallas Braden to low base, incentive laden deals, just as Sandy did 2 years ago with Capuano and Young. Those deals worked out just fine for us.
    Former B'klyn Dodger fan. Mets Maniac since 1962.

vCash
    Liriano is a boss when hes a boss. We should get him and Oliver Perez.
    asdf

Quote Originally Posted by YoungStuna28 View Post
    But Wright was a stud for us, for many years, and all of a sudden in his prime years, he nowhere near the player he used to be. He needs to go.
    @YoungStuna28

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by nymetsrule View Post
    Liriano worked really well with Santana back in the day, so maybe they'd do well together again.
    Then at the trade deadline we can trade them as a package deal for more top prospects. Git-R-Done Sandy!!

vCash
    Well cross him off the list cause he just got 2years/$14M from the Pirates. If that's what an incentive-like deal will be, screw it. Let's go with Mejia.

vCash
    Pelfrey at 4 million was a way better option.

Veteran left-hander Francisco Liriano, after five-and-a-half seasons with the Minnesota Twins, will join his third team in five months after agreeing to a two-year, $14 million deal with the Pittsburgh Pirates, according to the Minneapolis Star-Tribune.

Lirianao, traded from the Twins to the Chicago White Sox in late July, was 6-12 with a 5.34 ERA in 2012.

He's 53-54 with a 4.40 ERA in six full seasons.

Liriano pitched a no-hitter in May 2011 but failed to muster much of the same results for the rest of the season, going 9-10 with a 5.09 ERA for the year.

He will join a Pirates rotation that includes A.J. Burnett, Wandy Rodriguez and James McDonald, who went a combined 33-22 for Pittsburgh in 2012.
    Cue in Carl Pavano, who is also on Sandy's list.

vCash
    Pavano.. New York spot light.. I don't think so! He failed the test back with the Yankees previously, why take a chance. Young looking good! Give him 2 mil with incentives for another 1.5 mil.
    " You seek Yoda!

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast