Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 52 of 77 FirstFirst ... 242505152535462 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Doogolas View Post
    Between 03 and 2011 the Cubs only had 10 first round picks. Colvin has produced WAR in the majors. Cashner has made it to the majors and will very likely produce positively in his career. Josh Donaldson is in the MLB and has produced a small bit of positive WAR in his short time.

Plus, Vitters and Jackson are both in the majors and while they were unsuccessful in producing positive WAR in their careers, they still very easily could and both have SSS.

That's 2 that have produced positive WAR, one that's at exactly 0 (Cashner) who will likely produce at least a shade going forward assuming his arm doesn't COMPLETELY come off.

And then two more guys that will be major league players in the near future with the chance to produce. That's 5/10 making the MLB with at least 2/10 producing some positive WAR and one that almost without a doubt will.

For the record, the Red Sox had 20 in that same time. You listed 7 guys from their first round picks. It's not even REMOTELY inconceivable that 2 of Cashner/Vitters/Jackson produce positive WAR in their careers. Making the rate exactly the same.

EDIT: B-Jax has actually produced .1WAR. So actually it's 3/10!
    Ok will just take the 03-11 picks.
    The Red Sox had 23 picks. 13/23 were supplemental picks. None of the Red Sox picks were higher than 17. The Cubs had 10 picks, 2 of which were supplemental first rounders. 3/10 Cubs picks were top 10. The Cubs should have a better success rate.

All of the Cubs picks that are producing WAR were taken under Wilken. It came out that Wilken wanter Wieters/Parker instead of Vitters. I'm thinking most Cubs fans would agree with that. Wieters was shot down because of $, Parker because he was a HS arm. Colvin/Simpson were WTF picks at the time. I have a really hard believing that Wilken thought they were the best picks and that $ didn't come into play here. Cashner/Jackson were guys that were decent risks for where they were drafted though.

I just can't fathom that somebody can look at the Cubs drafts from 2002 on and be happy with them.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ABTY7 View Post
    Team has stepped up efforts to close Bourn deal... Rangers, White Sox have had DeJesus conversations...
    Are the Cubs that close to a Bourn deal? What do you men by team has stepped up efforts? Are they presenting him a deal to sign or are they talking parameters? Are other teams also stepping up efforts?

vCash
    Unlikely either way... Both sides have tried to make it work- Towers and Theo had lengthy conversation at the WM (at the time, majority speculated it was mostly close friends catching up, however recently it's come out otherwise)
    Thanks for the info.

vCash
    Gato: Point 1, won't(can't) argue against your logic there. Point 2- It's not a BIG deal for me either, but it is something that at least gets consideration. Personally, I'd want to try and get Upton to sign a 3-4 year extension, if at all possible. Point 3- I added those names for equal value, nothing more. Maybe Alfaro fits Arizona slightly better. Agree that Texas likely is looking for a better SP than Kennedy, but figured the one-stop shop thing into it.

vCash
    Team has stepped up efforts to close Bourn deal... Rangers, White Sox have had DeJesus conversations...
    What kind of deal you think the Cubs are willing to offer up to Bourn/Boras? I do DeJesus for H. Santiago, or DeJesus + for Tank.
    The Best Wrestler in the World.... Go Cubs!!!

vCash
    Point 2- It's not a BIG deal for me either, but it is something that at least gets consideration.
    Sorry, no really shouldn't. Who is the better player now and moving forward? >>>>>>>>>>> How much does the prime aged star cost?

Maybe you consider it for a minute just for the hell of it because extending Upton becomes a part of the conversation.

Thanks TY for the Bourn stuff. I have a little hope.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by rcal10 View Post
    Are the Cubs that close to a Bourn deal? What do you men by team has stepped up efforts? Are they presenting him a deal to sign or are they talking parameters? Are other teams also stepping up efforts?
    Seattle offer(ing) more money, Cubs upped offer to come close to equal dollar... Haven't heard anything about others involved...
    Ombudsman

vCash
    Well judging by most free agents, as long as our offer is close he probably will choose us. Seems many free agents try to stray from the mariners. The hitters im reffering to. Pitchers seem to love it.

vCash
    Seattle offer(ing) more money, Cubs upped offer to come close to equal dollar... Haven't heard anything about others involved...
    Thank you. I think he goes to the money. So unless the Cubs are the highest bidder, either in total dollars or average per year, he will not come here. I do not see any reason he would come to Chicago instead of Seattle it Seattle is offering more.

vCash
    Bourn sure makes things more interesting. Although I fear what kind of $$ we're talking here.

vCash
    Bourn is an underrated fit with Seattle so I can see why they're going hard for him. Great CF defense to go along with a park that can let his bloops and gaps roll a little longer...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Brad IBCB View Post
    Bourn sure makes things more interesting. Although I fear what kind of $$ we're talking here.
    Why do you care about the money? In a few years the Cubs will be getting a new TV contract. They have plenty of money. Not saying they have to be ridiculous, but I really do not care too much about where the Cubs payroll ends up next year.

vCash
    I see why Seattle is so interested in Bourn. He's the type of player you need at SafeCo, regardless of if they move their fences in or not; he plays solid defense, gets on base, and can cause havoc on the base paths. A lineup with a combo of Bourn-Seager-Morales (not in that order) with some wild cards (Smoak, Ackley, Saunders) could potentially be interesting.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by rcal10 View Post
    Thank you. I think he goes to the money. So unless the Cubs are the highest bidder, either in total dollars or average per year, he will not come here. I do not see any reason he would come to Chicago instead of Seattle it Seattle is offering more.
    Travel would favor Chicago. If he's a Boras guy though, he'll probably go the the high bidder, I agree.
    Last edited by RedHeadsRule; 12-29-2012 at 03:29 PM.

vCash
    On paper, I'm not convinced DeJesus provides less total value in LF than Soriano. I expect some regression from Soriano, and DeJesus is the better defender with a better OBP.

But it's really hard to look at a lineup without Soriano and realize that we might not hit 100 home runs.

Page 52 of 77 FirstFirst ... 242505152535462 ... LastLast