Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 19 12311 ... LastLast
    vCash

Who gets the final two spots in the rotation?

Today DS said that Demp,Garza, and Maholm are in as the top 3? So that leaves us with Wells, Volsted, Wood, Shark, Coleman? I would have liked to see Maholm pitch for 4 weeks in zona before I see him with an automatic bid?

That being said

I predict Wood And Wells make the 4th and 5th spots.

Whats everyone else say?

vCash
    The guys who pitch the best in ST?

Realistically, it's probably Wood and Volstad, but if either does poorly in ST and Wells does well, there's no reason they wouldn't stick Wells in that 5 spot.

Coleman should really have no shot. Samardzija may get the opportunity, but I don't see his repetoire holding up well as a starter unless he's developed a good 3rd pitch suddenly.

vCash
    thats why im puzzled that they would name PH as our 3rd starter on day 1. u would think that demp and garza were the only automatics and wait 3 wks before setting 3-5 in place. I just dont see randy wells as a bullpen guy. His stuff isnt overpowering and he seems to be more of a get in a groove type pitcher. I like the idea of starting 2 leftys in our starting rotation. I cant remember a cubs team with 2 leftys opening the season in the rotation

vCash
    I'm guessing Wood and Shark will get the 4 and 5 spots. But, I agree with RWB that Shark has to come up with a good third pitch.

vCash
    I would have to think Travis Wood is pretty close to being a lock...Unless he has a horrible spring training, he will be in the rotation.

Take me back to the Forest

vCash
    Right now it's croce, Ron!n, and BMD; a few others might be making some spot starts, too (e.g. DG). Then it all depends on where we are come the All-Star break -- whether or not we're in the hunt or if we ride month long IGTs. I expect CubbieSteve gets the call.

I heard you were looking for me.

vCash
    Croce sucks, leave him out of this

vCash
    All three of the "notable" pitchers acquired this offseason will be in the rotation. So I imagine the rotation will be Garza/Dempster/Malholm/Wood and Volstad. If this is the rotation, then I suspect Wells with be dealt by the end of spring, because I don't see Wells working well in the bullpen.

vCash
    Paul maholom should be a lock if you watch. Baseball outside Of the Cubs . The other two spots. Should be. Wood and volstadt....Wells and Coleman need to be traded for whatever. Shark could be great but we need him in the pen.
    BUTTERFLIES AND RAINBOWS!!!!! I love it when a plan comes together - John Hannibal Smith.

"I hear STUPID People...When? Alllll theee timmme"

vCash
    Wood is a lock IMO.

For some reason, I'm getting a feeling about Shark. He's a flat out better pitcher than Volstad, and I think he can impress the staff more so than Wells. I'm foreseeing a couple months of shockingly effective starting, an injury, and a permanent return to the pen.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by redwhitenblue View Post
    The guys who pitch the best in ST?

Realistically, it's probably Wood and Volstad, but if either does poorly in ST and Wells does well, there's no reason they wouldn't stick Wells in that 5 spot.

Coleman should really have no shot. Samardzija may get the opportunity, but I don't see his repetoire holding up well as a starter unless he's developed a good 3rd pitch suddenly.
    Coleman should really have no shot. Samardzija may get the opportunity, but I don't see his repetoire holding up well

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Yagyu View Post
    Right now it's croce, Ron!n, and BMD; a few others might be making some spot starts, too (e.g. DG). Then it all depends on where we are come the All-Star break -- whether or not we're in the hunt or if we ride month long IGTs. I expect CubbieSteve gets the call.
    Me and BDawk get snubbed after the only ones with winning records last season

Rochester Jeffersons

vCash
    Travis Wood and Volsted, unless Samardjiza really impresses during spring training. I see Samardjiza as possibly our closer after the All-star break assuming Marmol gets traded.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Bluefire View Post
    All three of the "notable" pitchers acquired this offseason will be in the rotation. So I imagine the rotation will be Garza/Dempster/Malholm/Wood and Volstad. If this is the rotation, then I suspect Wells with be dealt by the end of spring, because I don't see Wells working well in the bullpen.
    They won't trade Wells - Do you remember what happened last year with no depth. You need quality depth and there are really 6 decent major league options. Samardzija is needed in the bullpen and Coleman is AAA. The rest of the potential starters are either AAA filler or emergency starters.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by 1972 Cubs View Post
    They won't trade Wells - Do you remember what happened last year with no depth. You need quality depth and there are really 6 decent major league options. Samardzija is needed in the bullpen and Coleman is AAA. The rest of the potential starters are either AAA filler or emergency starters.
    Won't is a very strong word....I say unless we are keeping Garza then Wells will be shipped out of here as soon as someone has a need for a servicable fith starter. We have pitchers just about ready to move into the mix that will be a little better than wells....so the depth is still there.
    BUTTERFLIES AND RAINBOWS!!!!! I love it when a plan comes together - John Hannibal Smith.

"I hear STUPID People...When? Alllll theee timmme"

Page 1 of 19 12311 ... LastLast