Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Hybrid View

vCash

2012 49ers offense compared to 2011

We had a thread comparing this year's defense to 2011 so I thought we should talk about the offense. The most glaring weakness last season were third down conversions and the red zone. Have those areas improved? Here are some numbers:

Yards Per Game (NFL Rank)
    2011: 310.9 (26th)
    2012: 361.7 (11th)

Pass Yards Per Game
    2011: 183.1 (29th)
    2012: 198.9 (26th)

Rush Yards Per Game
    2011: 127.8 (8th)
    2012: 162.9 (2nd)

Pass Yards Per Attempt
    2011: 7.1 (16th)
    2012: 8.1 (3rd)

Rush Yards Per Attempt
    2011: 4.1 (19th)
    2012: 5.2 (2nd)

Points Per Game
    2011: 23.8 (11th)
    2012: 25.5 (8th)

Red Zone TD Percentage

2011: 40.68% (30th)
    2012: 53.19% (15th)

Red Zone Scoring Attempts Per Game
    2011: 3.3 (14th)
    2012: 3.4 (10th)

3rd Down Conversion Rate

2011: 29.4 (31st)
    2012: 36.1% (21st)

Turnovers
    2011: 10 (1st)
    2012: 14 (T-2nd)

Slap Hands!

vCash
    Both have clearly improved but could still be better. Especially our third down conversion rate. It would be nice if we had more rush yards and points per game as well.

Barry Lamar Bonds. .393/.967/1.054....on 3-0 counts.

lol, Please' top 10 p4p: Mayweather/Marquez/Pacquiao/Bradley/Cotto/Wlad/Rigondeaux/Froch/Canelo/Maidana

Boxing Fan? Come Discuss Boxing!

vCash
    I'm convinced we should have a top-5 offense and we already have a top-5 defense so getting the offense up to par would mean we are really really really really good. Since we're already damn good, it just means we can get to be amazingly good.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyle916 View Post
    I'm convinced we should have a top-5 offense and we already have a top-5 defense so getting the offense up to par would mean we are really really really really good. Since we're already damn good, it just means we can get to be amazingly good.
    I can see us taking that next step offensively next season, maybe even in the playoffs if everything clicks at the right time. But thinking of the steps Kap can take with a full offseason program and training camp as the starting QB makes me

A lot of people complain about Greg Roman, and there are games where complaints were clearly warranted, but if he does get a head coaching gig for a college program Geep Chryst would likely take over. I wonder how that would go.

I also really hope Moss comes back next year. Ginn should be gone and Kyle Williams will be a question mark coming off of that knee injury . There should be a spot for him next year, though I really hope AJ forces the coaches hand and at least becomes the slot option or even pushes Manningham for the #2 spot.
    Last edited by DerekRE_3; 12-19-2012 at 02:43 AM.

Slap Hands!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by DerekRE_3 View Post
    I can see us taking that next step offensively next season, maybe even in the playoffs if everything clicks at the right time. But thinking of the steps Kap can take with a full offseason program and training camp as the starting QB makes me

A lot of people complain about Greg Roman, and there are games where complaints were clearly warranted, but if he does get a head coaching gig for a college program Geep Chryst would likely take over. I wonder how that would go.

I also really hope Moss comes back next year. Ginn should be gone and Kyle Williams will be a question mark coming off of that knee injury . There should be a spot for him next year, though I really hope AJ forces the coaches hand and at least becomes the slot option or even pushes Manningham for the #2 spot.
    Completely agree with the first one. I think Kaepernick is a tireless worker and will be spending time with QB mechanics guys during the offseason like he did last year. The issue he has of touch (which has already improved) will be something he works on a lot.

The second part...I'm not as sure about. I think with Crabtree really coming into his own (I do think Moss has something to do with this too) and Manningham in there, Jenkins can actually be pretty successful. I'm not a huge fan of his at this point, but as the 3d WR I do think he can be a matchup problem for defenses. I really hope the Niners use more 3 WR sets next season since Walker is probably gone so having the additional playmakers on the field makes sense to me. I think Kaepernick is very capable of running a more aggressive, attacking kind of offense. With any 1 of Gore/James/Hunter in the backfield and the o-line as good as they are the running game will always be a threat regardless of formation. Maybe more so if the defense is in smaller packages with more DBs.

vCash
    Agreed with both. But for now he needs to make strides week to week because after the cardinals game, it's time for a SB run.

lol, Please' top 10 p4p: Mayweather/Marquez/Pacquiao/Bradley/Cotto/Wlad/Rigondeaux/Froch/Canelo/Maidana

vCash
    I think it is a good sign to see Kaepernick make the pre snap reads. The pass to Walker was excellent reading off Dennard sneaking on Vernon Davis then hitting him on the outside. I really think by the playoffs we can see alot more attacking on offense as Kaepernick changes plays based on those pre-snap reads.

vCash
    It's great to see our numbers improving. I'd really like to see our 3rd down conversation rates go up (been haunting us now for 2 seasons), and our red zone efficiency needs to improve even more. Aren't I just a freak'n genius for figuring that out... cause no one else thought the same things...

Kaep has been making some very good pre-snap reads (that last TD to Crabs in the NE game being the best example), so that is really promising for this offense. If Kaep can in fact take that next step - more consistency with touch passes, and shortening his throwing motion (part of the reason for his passing velocity is he has to throw hard and fast to compensate for longer throwing motion... my bet is because of his baseball/pitching experience), then holly c*@p will he be a nightmare for other teams.

I'm not sure on Moss either way... We needed him for sure this season, but next season and beyond is looking pretty good for our receiving corps. Not saying if he doesn't stay on with a low money deal it wouldn't be worth having him, but while he is still very good he is not the Moss of old.

I'm really looking forward to a full off season with this whole team, assuming (safely) that Kaep maintains his starting role on this team, we have some really young and talented guys on the offense... that means years of domination! Is this the start of the new 49er dynasty? That might just cause a permagrin
    Last edited by bigcheeze; 12-19-2012 at 12:45 PM.
    "All we care about are wins, stats are for losers" - Justin Smith
    "We're the San Francisco 49ers. We can do whatever we want" - Jim Harbaugh

vCash
    I want Moss back for next year
    Quote Originally Posted by heimdog8 View Post
    I didn't want to throw this information out here. I was a 3 year varsity starter at QB in high school. I played quarterback in junior college as well. I was considering playing division 1 football as well but chose to pursue my career in business instead. However, currently I am helping train with Derek Carr from Fresno State get ready for his pro day and the draft. I am also working with Cody Kessler, the USC quarterback.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by rapjuicer06 View Post
    I want Moss back for next year
    If it's on a similar deal as to this year, then so do I. However, I do not want Ginn back so we should spend a day 3 pick on a WR.
    Last edited by Lakers211221; 12-19-2012 at 11:08 PM.

vCash
    We could use Moss.

vCash
    Only if it doesn't impede Jenkins from flourishing as a #2 or 3.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Lakers211221 View Post
    If it's on a similar deal as to this year, then so do I. However, I do not want Ginn back so we should spend a day 3 pick on a WR.
    I'm sure if we don't win the Superbowl and we get close, Moss will come back on a similar deal. If we win, I can see him retiring for good

And Ginn has been a joke this year. I don't want him back either
    Quote Originally Posted by heimdog8 View Post
    I didn't want to throw this information out here. I was a 3 year varsity starter at QB in high school. I played quarterback in junior college as well. I was considering playing division 1 football as well but chose to pursue my career in business instead. However, currently I am helping train with Derek Carr from Fresno State get ready for his pro day and the draft. I am also working with Cody Kessler, the USC quarterback.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by rapjuicer06 View Post
    I'm sure if we don't win the Superbowl and we get close, Moss will come back on a similar deal. If we win, I can see him retiring for good

And Ginn has been a joke this year. I don't want him back either
    I could see that happening with Moss. With Ginn...definitely. His decision making has ben the worst part. Every once in a while a returner is gonna muff a punt or something, it happens. He' just being dumb though. Trying to return punts with a guy standing there...bringing the ball out from 9 yds deep and half-speed running...playing around a bouncing ball...smh. Good lord!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by NinerHomer49 View Post
    I could see that happening with Moss. With Ginn...definitely. His decision making has ben the worst part. Every once in a while a returner is gonna muff a punt or something, it happens. He' just being dumb though. Trying to return punts with a guy standing there...bringing the ball out from 9 yds deep and half-speed running...playing around a bouncing ball...smh. Good lord!
    I think your being overly hard on Ginn, he really hasn't made that many mistakes in the last 2 years.

However, I don't see him being on the team next year either. We don't need a punt return only guy on the roster, which is all he'd end up being. With Hunter, Williams, and LMJ we're all set.
    "All we care about are wins, stats are for losers" - Justin Smith
    "We're the San Francisco 49ers. We can do whatever we want" - Jim Harbaugh

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast