Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Hybrid View

vCash

Teague could make Robinson expendable

There's a fine print element to the point guard rotation that is currently under scrutiny because of rookie Marquis Teague's solid play when given extended minutes.

It's called Nate Robinson's non-guaranteed contract.

The Bulls signed the veteran guard to a deal that doesn't become fully guaranteed until Jan. 10. That means they can waive Robinson with no penalty any time before that date, an option that always has been under consideration internally.

Teague's development, not to mention Derrick Rose's expected return, could make Robinson expendable.

In a twist, coach Tom Thibodeau opened the second quarter using Teague at point guard and Robinson at shooting guard. The new rotational look occurred because the Celtics utilize several small lineups. It didn't last long, and Robinson remained in the game as Kirk Hinrich's backup.

Robinson played well during the entire second quarter and finished with 18 points and four assists in 13 minutes in the 100-89 victory.

League sources indicate that veteran shooting guard Richard Hamilton has been offered in trade scenarios, efforts that could intensity as the Feb. 21 trade deadline nears.

With a minimal guarantee on a team option for next season, Hamilton's salary is in essence an expiring contract, which could make him attractive to teams looking to add scoring punch near the deadline.

The Bulls' current payroll of $73,548,450 stands $3,241,450 above the luxury tax threshold. But penalties are assessed based on team payrolls at season's end. The Bulls never have paid the luxury tax.

Butter fingers: The Bulls committed just three first-half turnovers, which has been a problem area most of the season. They entered ranked 22nd league-wide at 15.56 per game and finished with 12 against the Celtics.

"The intentions are good," Thibodeau said. "We're trying to move the ball and play unselfishly. But there are too many home run passes instead of simple passes. Hit the first open man and let him make the play."

Layups: Asked light-heartedly if the United Center was ready for Brian Scalabrine's analysis on CSN New England, Thibodeau cracked, "Nobody's ready for that." Carlos Boozer will present gifts he purchased to kids at the Ann and Robert H. Lurie Children's Hospital of Chicago on Wednesday.
    http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports...,2027684.story

It would be incredibly dumb to just waive him.

vCash
    No. Hinrich keeps getting hurt and they need Nate to start for him. Also, Teague is not a scorer like Nate. Bulls offense are basically built upon scoring PG's, because they run a lot of pick n roll/pop.

vCash
    Butter fingers: The Bulls committed just three first-half turnovers, which has been a problem area most of the season. They entered ranked 22nd league-wide at 15.56 per game and finished with 12 against the Celtics.

"The intentions are good," Thibodeau said. "We're trying to move the ball and play unselfishly. But there are too many home run passes instead of simple passes. Hit the first open man and let him make the play."
    The key to our success! We must stop turning the damn ball over

vCash
    I know Doug mentioned it in his podcast, but when Rose comes back, I'd MUCH rather deal Kirk for an expiring.

vCash
    As would I. I just really don't see where Hinrich fits in when Rose comes back.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Iggz53 View Post
    As would I. I just really don't see where Hinrich fits in when Rose comes back.
    The worst thing we can do, and I worry we will do, is make no deal and Teague merely gathers dust as there will be no minutes for him.

I love that Nate is on a Vet min deal, because with the production he has given, cutting him would be a new low, even for Uncle Jerry.

Ideally, we deal Kirk for some mediocre big that can actually PLAY the 10-12 minutes behind Noah, while Teague can contribute whenever Rose is sitting and Nate and Belinelli share the 2.

vCash
    Teague can make Hinrich expendable not Nate. We need Nate. This isn't the 2007 Hinrich anymore.
    "Talent wins games, but teamwork and intelligence wins championships."
    - Michael Jordan

Thanks MJ-Bulls for the picture.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by JordansBulls View Post
    Teague can make Hinrich expendable not Nate. We need Nate. This isn't the 2007 Hinrich anymore.
    We agree!!!!!!! OMG the world will end on Friday!
    Quote Originally Posted by metsbulls1025 View Post
    (Topic: Pat Riley)Yeah snorting coke off of Lebron James thigh obviously makes you crazy.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by kozelkid View Post
    The worst thing we can do, and I worry we will do, is make no deal and Teague merely gathers dust as there will be no minutes for him.

I love that Nate is on a Vet min deal, because with the production he has given, cutting him would be a new low, even for Uncle Jerry.

Ideally, we deal Kirk for some mediocre big that can actually PLAY the 10-12 minutes behind Noah, while Teague can contribute whenever Rose is sitting and Nate and Belinelli share the 2.
    That would be PERFECT.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by kozelkid View Post

Yeah, and one that's expiring.

I personally really don't see the point in trading Rip since he's the best SG we have and he's a free agent next year anyway. It's not like we're going to get anything of value for him.

vCash
    I doubt it. Nate is important to this team. Big mistake to waive him. He can create for himself something we need and our most reliable bench scorer. Teague playoff inexperience will show and we will really need Nate's instant offense. Teague has played great but lets not get carried away just yet. If we plan to try and win the hard way without a 2nd option we need as much help as possible and good depth.

The odd man out is Rip Hamilton for a good big man.

PG-Rose, Robinson, Teague
    SG-Belinelli, Hinrich, Robinson, maybe another cheap shooter

vCash
    That leaves a problem at the 2... It sounds great that Nate would be a PG\SG but in reality, Nate can only be a PG, unless the opposing team is going small. It could work out though as Butler could play SG\SF, whatever the case, we definitely need defense at the 2 one way or another because 1 of BeliRip will get torched by a good SG.

vCash
    That means they can waive Robinson with no penalty any time before that date, an option that always has been under consideration internally.
    Thought that was very interesting.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by KHinrich12 View Post
    Thought that was very interesting.
    yeah, it's pretty headline worthy, so why sneak it in an article unless it isn't made up

vCash
    Kirk won't be traded imo.

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast