Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

vCash

What about the 'pen?

I really do appreciate what Sandy Alderson has done with what he has, so far it's worked out pretty well. One of my main concerns, however, is that he is not focusing on the bullpen.

You can have an all-star lineup 1-9 and a dominant rotation, but like we have seen over the past five seasons, the bullpen is a crucial part of a team's success. Take for example the Braves, Reds, & Giants. Each have dominant bullpens with a mix of well-developed young arms, smart free agent acquisitions, and [when necessary] fair trades.

There aren't too many reliable arms in the Mets' bullpen. In 2012 the team went through stretches where there was no one reliable out of the 'pen. It handicaps Terry Collins' decisions when he has a lack of confidence in his guys out there, even if his starting pitchers can go seven or eight innings. Not to mention that inherited runners scored and blown saves devalue the starting pitchers (like Santana) who could be dealt in July.

What is Alderson's plan to fix the bullpen? How would you guys approach this problem? Should this even be a focus right now?

vCash
    I think in 2014-2015 and beyond when the Mets are ready to compete, they are going to have an insanely strong bullpen, filled up with alot of these minor leagues arms.

I don't see much point in spending a bunch of money on the bullpen this year.

vCash
    The pen is often an area that can be addressed late in the off season, when many good quality pitchers still don't have jobs and their proces fall.
    Former B'klyn Dodger fan. Mets Maniac since 1962.

vCash
    That's why we should seriously think about trading Murphy and Duda for bullpen help. These two are playing out of position and all they'll ever do is hurt our defense. They can be replaced by Valdespin and Hairston if we resign him.

Brooklyn to Denver to L.A. to Denver and back to L.A.
    vCash
    JD, 2013 bullpen will definitely be a challenge and perhaps an adventure assembling.

I'd rather throw all the young guys ( Edgin, Carson, Meija, etc.) out there and use Mr. Francisco sparingly. Even though we've got to stay competitive, it appears this year will offer many new faces.

Yes, the bullpen is going to be a repeat of 2012 with its ups and downs.

I'm just glad to see guys like Jon Rauch, Ramon Ramirez and the infamous Manny "Grand Slam" Acosta aka POS are gone.

My Vote For 2014 Mets Starting SS.

Mets Dieharder Since '63
    Broncos Dieharder Since '73
    Los Angeles Kings Dieharder Since '87
    Denver Rockets/Nuggets Dieharder Since '73

ua you're gone, but never forgotten, R.I.P.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Paulie6986 View Post
    JD, 2013 bullpen will definitely be a challenge and perhaps an adventure assembling.

I'd rather throw all the young guys ( Edgin, Carson, Meija, etc.) out there and use Mr. Francisco sparingly. Even though we've got to stay competitive, it appears this year will offer many new faces.

Yes, the bullpen is going to be a repeat of 2012 with its ups and downs.

I'm just glad to see guys like Jon Rauch, Ramon Ramirez and the infamous Manny "Grand Slam" Acosta aka POS are gone.
    Rauch was actually pretty good. He had a 0.00 ERA in April, got blown up in May and June, and was extremely good in July, August through late September when he got pounded for a few games. He was sort of jeckyll/Hyde, but he will be hard to replace. His WHIP for the season was 0.988. If the Mets were to first acquire him now, after his 2012 season, fans would call it a solid move.

vCash
    The pen is mightier then the sword! In our case SA is waiting to see whats left in the cash register before he begins spending on another of our greatest needs. Sadly I believe the pen will be up and down all season. Curious if we splurged last year on some decent pen help and a couple of right handed outfield bats, where we might have ended up. Probably with the 17th pick VS the 11th pick.. right!
    " You seek Yoda!

vCash
    I'd like to get an arm or two, but I want to see the young arms get a chance in the pen to show what they can do.

vCash
    Since we love former Oakland players, we should definitely bring in Joey Devine.

Kameron Loe, Mark Lowe, Rich Hill, and Tom Gorzalany also interest me as pen arms.

vCash
    On paper, Francisco, Parnell, Byrdak [if healthy], Edgin, Carson, Mejia or Familia sounds decent but none of the kids had an ERA under 4.50 in 2012 for the major league team. We gotta live or die with Frankie and Bobby but I have been calling for SA to sign a veteran LOOGY or two so the kids have less pressure to develop immediately. We sure have a ton of live arms a year or two away so the pen is one place that stopgap pitchers are ideal. I'm also concerned that we get a solid #5 starter...My recent post mentioned how we did okay after Pelfrey went down because CY stepped up and Harvey replaced Santana, but when we suddenly lost Gee at the ASB the guys filling in went 6-15 in 24 starts with an ERA over 6.35....that really killed the second half...and with no punch off the bench every close/late/extra inning game became a loss. A good #5, a LOOGY or two and a few good bench players will keep the team competitive...we don't need 83 wins just for show but we don't want six months of chronic losing either.
    Bob
    Met fan since 1969

vCash
    Bring back k rod on the cheap...he's got something to prove. Devine would be a good pick up too.