Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

vCash

Red Sox are still in on Ross

Nick Cafardo‏@nickcafardo
    Still a healthy interest in Cody Ross, but no team has yet to dive into that Cuddyer-Willingham middle of between 21 and 31 mill for 3

Cody Ross is still in free agent limbo, awaiting a team to sign him to the three-year deal he’s been seeking.

The Red Sox says they’re still in it, but with Jonny Gomes and Shane Victorino added to the outfield mix and Gomes being righthanded, it seems tough to figure where Ross fits. Ross, who had a strong season on a one-year, $3 million deal, told the Red Sox from the outset his comparisons were Josh Willingham and Michael Cuddyer.

Willingham received a three-year, $21 million deal from the Twins after they let Cuddyer sign a three-year, $31.5 million deal with the Rockies last winter. The Red Sox gave Victorino a three-year, $39 million deal, but Ross wasn’t signed for what seemed to be a lesser salary demand, and he excelled at Fenway.

Willingham signed with Minnesota after hitting .246 with 29 homers, 98 RBIs, and an .810 OPS for the A’s in 2011. Cuddyer hit .284 with 20 homers, 70 RBIs, and an .805 OPS with the Twins in 2011 before signing with Colorado. Ross hit .267 with 22, homers, 81 RBIs, and an .807 OPS with the Red Sox in 2012.

Ross has drawn considerable interest from the Braves, Phillies, Mets, Yankees, and Orioles, but nothing is close, according to a major league source.

One American League GM said the Red Sox, “may be trying to deal Jacoby Ellsbury and then sign Ross after they move Victorino to center.” That makes some sense, but so far that hasn’t transpired.

Rumors swirled on Tuesday that the Dodgers were trying to move Andre Ethier to sign Nick Swisher. With that came thoughts that the Dodgers and Red Sox might engage in an Ellsbury-Ethier swap, which would give the Dodgers their leadoff hitter.

But when asked whether such a swap was possible, a Dodgers official promptly replied, “No.”

Ellsbury makes some sense for the Dodgers, who have second baseman Mark Ellis, with a .331 on base percentage last season, leading off. The Dodgers could move Matt Kemp to left to preserve his legs and have Ellsbury in center.

The Dodgers would also be equipped to negotiate a new deal with Ellsbury with Scott Boras. The Dodgers don’t seem to be biting.
    http://www.boston.com/sports/basebal...&dlvrit=199675
    Last edited by j-bay; 12-18-2012 at 10:14 PM.

PAPI SMASH!

vCash
    I think he means there's healthy interest as in a few teams interested in him

vCash
    Jbay I think it's better if you post this in both the rumors and offseason thread instead of making a new thread for every new report. As for Ross, Cafardo is not even mentioning us and he's not going to come here unless we trade Ellsbury, there simply is no room at the moment.

vCash
    Update:Got the article

PAPI SMASH!

vCash
    Interesting idea

vCash
    Yeah, the rumored plan...

Trade Ellsbury

Move Victorino to CF

Sign Ross

vCash
    One American League GM said the Red Sox, “may be trying to deal Jacoby Ellsbury and then sign Ross after they move Victorino to center.”

May.

I hope the Dodgers will take Salty off our hands too, and trade us a strong farm hand or two like last year.

Ross for 2/17 is yet more spending money and not specs, and dealing Ellsbury is getting specs (but coming earlier then what they pick for him would be). And getting rid of Salty is liable to improve the team ERA by .5 at least.
    Last edited by bagwell368; 12-19-2012 at 12:01 PM.

6/27/09: “We expect [Rondo] to play by the rules and be a leader as a point guard. We need him to be more of a leader,” Ainge said. “There were just a couple situations where he was late this year, I don’t know if he was sitting in his car, but showed up late and the rest of the team was there. We have team rules and you have to be on time. He was fined for being late, he said he was stuck in traffic, and it’s just unacceptable.”

Some jerks never learn.....

vCash
    I'm all for dealing Jacoby, and signing Ross for right field.

vCash
    I'm all for this move as well. I hate dumping assets when their value is low, but I personally find it more likely that he will be hurt by the deadline rather than have improved his value.

vCash
    Signed with dbacks

vCash
    3 years to Arizona

SOON

vCash
    Dbacks OFFICIAL: #Dbacks agree to terms with OF Cody Ross @IAmCodyRoss on 3-year contract with club option for 2016
    Will miss Ross best of luck in Dbacks!