Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    vCash

Not just the HC and GM will change

http://www.utsandiego.com/news/2012/...ming-chargers/

great read on the state of the franchise as well as other imminent personnel changes.

vCash
    Good article. I hope we do gut the roster, too. Football is the one sport where you can greatly improve your team quickly with good drafts and developing young players. Basketball and baseball are crap shoots in comparison.

Biggest area we need to improve is offensive line. In most drafts, the best guards don't go until the late 3rd or 4th round. We should use our 4th pick to get the 2nd best guard in the draft. Or shift Vasquez to LG, Clary to RG, and draft a couple of tackles.

Our 3rd round pick should go after the best RB available. A RB is not slated to go until the early 2nd at the earliest. With 4-5 stud RBs in this years draft, one will fall to us in the early 3rd. Don't be surprised we are staring at Monte Bell at that point.

1st and 2nd round should target the best T available, followed by the best CB available.

With the exception of Tackle in the 1st round, drafting the best player available in the subsequent rounds would not be a bad idea. With the exception of DL and QB, we need help everywhere.

vCash
    ^ i agree with your draft strategy.

i would like to cut both clary and gaither, but with zero decent OT's as it is, i can see us having to keep one of them. i prefer clary, as hard as it is to say. gaither quit on this team. get him out of here. plus i heard his hit on the cap would be $2mil over the next 3 seasons, should we decide to cut him. makes more sense ditching him and dealing with RT clary for one more year.

i also think we need to see what our backups are made of against the jets. they're starting their 3rd string QB. how about we start whitehurst? let's see if he can play as well as he holds a clipboard.

there is a lot of talk (again) about moving jammer to safety, letting wright and cason start at corner. i don't like this. wright couldn't beat out cason to start, and cason's been disappointing for a 1st rounder. he's been playing better, but we need a shut down. jammer should play one more year, groom a rookie, then retire. then in 2014 we'd have a cason entering his prime and a high end sophomore CB.

our line is simply atrocious. i've given rivers a bit of a pass in light of that fact, and i realized i need to give mathews at least half of a pass. his fumbling and injuries notwithstanding, i don't think adrian peterson could find much daylight as our RB, given the absolutely abysmal play of this line. his health concerns are enough to make me want another back, but maybe we find one in FAcy instead of having to burn a pick on a crap shoot position (RB and QB seem to have the biggest boom/bust factors in nfl drafts).

the main changes are obviously with norv and aj. once we get new personnel in, we can start worrying more about players.
    Last edited by friarfan07; 12-20-2012 at 12:26 PM.

vCash
    I think Jammer would be great at SS. He's got a nose for the ball and is one of the hardest hitters on the team. He ended one RB season already. A bonus is he can still cover reasonably well.

Cason has really cleaned up a lot of his mistakes. I think he can stick longer at CB if he can keep playing like he has the past few games. Got to love players that are still coachable and improve. Many of our players top out after a year. Wright and Gilchrest come to mind.

If we can get a good CB in the early 2nd round, I think we can kill two birds with one stone if we shift Jammer to SS.

I don't want Clary playing RT unless as a backup next season. He gets dusted by speed rushers all the time. However, he would make a good guard, but at a reduced price. He's strong and would be very mobile as a guard. He would pull well. Cut his salary in half or cut him.

I think we can get a gem this year in the 3rd round at RB, who could grow into our starter in a year or two. Great insurance against Mathews being out a long time again, and if Mathews stays healthy, we can look to trade him later if our draft pick pans out. Jackson and Bush are about the only quality backs this year in FA and will likely cost too much. Jackson is getting pretty long in the tooth too. Bush just had a nasty knee injury. We have jokes at RB after Mathews now.

I've noticed the past few years, just about everyone we cut is out of football. Evidence to how bad our drafts have been lately or scooped.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Suns4ever67 View Post
    I think Jammer would be great at SS. He's got a nose for the ball and is one of the hardest hitters on the team. He ended one RB season already. A bonus is he can still cover reasonably well.

Cason has really cleaned up a lot of his mistakes. I think he can stick longer at CB if he can keep playing like he has the past few games. Got to love players that are still coachable and improve. Many of our players top out after a year. Wright and Gilchrest come to mind.

If we can get a good CB in the early 2nd round, I think we can kill two birds with one stone if we shift Jammer to SS.

I don't want Clary playing RT unless as a backup next season. He gets dusted by speed rushers all the time. However, he would make a good guard, but at a reduced price. He's strong and would be very mobile as a guard. He would pull well. Cut his salary in half or cut him.

I think we can get a gem this year in the 3rd round at RB, who could grow into our starter in a year or two. Great insurance against Mathews being out a long time again, and if Mathews stays healthy, we can look to trade him later if our draft pick pans out. Jackson and Bush are about the only quality backs this year in FA and will likely cost too much. Jackson is getting pretty long in the tooth too. Bush just had a nasty knee injury. We have jokes at RB after Mathews now.

I've noticed the past few years, just about everyone we cut is out of football. Evidence to how bad our drafts have been lately or scooped.
    lol you and i should just PM since it's interesting convo among 2 people.

let's see:

1. jammer. i see what you're saying. i would simply offer my take, which is you don't move a 33 year old to a different position who has never played that position. if he has, it was in high school. i would rather bring back bigby on the cheap (he and weddle had a decent chemistry before bigby tore his groin and played through other leg issues), draft a CB as you say, and let jammer groom him. either way, we draft a CB which is what we agree on.

2. agree about clary's salary. oh aj, you sure screwed the pooch on that one. he's always been coachable and a hard worker, that i can see. he just can't keep up with the edge rushers, as you say. depending on who we play and what the score is, clary can be a serviceable replacement. i'd like to cut and sign him. doubtful any other teams would snatch him up before we could tender him for cheaper. gaither, we agree, need be shown the door.

3. we could draft a RB, for sure. i am very leery of this draft as a whole. the only guy i'm sold on who fits our need is taylor lewan, the OT out of michigan. he'd be an instant starter, instant impact guy for LT. RT is a different story. we need a RT more than we need a RB. i think we can bring in a decent vet (reggie bush comes to mind...marketable here) if he'd be willing to take a pay cut, and we really focus on shoring up that stinko line. we aren't winning 8 games even with the line we have now. ideally, i'd like to draft like this:

1. T
    2. TRADE DOWN TO LOW 2ND
    2. OLB/DE pass rusher (shaun phillips is 32 and a FA after the current season)
    3. T
    4. CB
    4. (FROM 2ND ROUND TRADE DOWN) C (Hardwick is going to retire any time now)
    5. RB (c'mon michael turner 2.0!)
    6. OG
    7. doesn't matter; won't make team
    Last edited by friarfan07; 12-21-2012 at 11:35 AM.

vCash
    p.s. if lattimore were around in the 3rd, i'd think about it. that's how good he could be, should he fully heal (like mcgahee did).

vCash
    Good article. I hope we do gut the roster, too. Football is the one sport where you can greatly improve your team quickly with good drafts and developing young players. Basketball and baseball are crap shoots in comparison.

Biggest area we need to improve is offensive line. In most drafts, the best guards don't go until the late 3rd or 4th round. We should use our 4th pick to get the 2nd best guard in the draft. Or shift Vasquez to LG, Clary to RG, and draft a couple of tackles.

Our 3rd round pick should go after the best RB available. A RB is not slated to go until the early 2nd at the earliest. With 4-5 stud RBs in this years draft, one will fall to us in the early 3rd. Don't be surprised we are staring at Monte Bell at that point.

1st and 2nd round should target the best T available, followed by the best CB available.

With the exception of Tackle in the 1st round, drafting the best player available in the subsequent rounds would not be a bad idea. With the exception of DL and QB, we need help everywhere.
    agree agree agree
    Bruins, Chargers, Blue Jays, Raptors

North County San Diego, CA... You know, the Whales Vagina
    vCash
    I really like the direction this forum is going. I think everyone knows we got some needs on the Oline. There are some great options at Tackle in the first as well.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1...n-aprils-draft

With new management coming in maybe we can actually be aggressive in free agency as well. Jake Long is on the market and would be just what we need to revamp the Oline. The guy is a beast and I think he is 28. Also we need a CB and this draft is not going to be deep in that position. Lets go Chargers... Go get em!

vCash
    Or you sign Andy Levitre, G, Buffalo Bills who is coming out of a 4year $3.5 million contract and is referred to as Buffalos secret weapon and many analysts say this is why their run game has been doing so well.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blo...buffalo-bills/

You get Taylor Lewan at #11 and let him develop with Levitre. Grab a CB in round 2 even look for Free agents and we are back in this thing. We have some big holes but we are really not that far from another playoff run.

vCash
    Where do you guys stand on getting Danario Alexander back? Loved watching him play this year. However I think we've learned our lesson about giving injury prone players big deals after Jared Gaither. I would love to see him back, but maybe we could give him a lot of money for a 1 or 2 year deal maybe? Wouldn't be to thrilled if we went 3 years, but I also wouldn't be mad.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Hometown Hero View Post
    Or you sign Andy Levitre, G, Buffalo Bills who is coming out of a 4year $3.5 million contract and is referred to as Buffalos secret weapon and many analysts say this is why their run game has been doing so well.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blo...buffalo-bills/

You get Taylor Lewan at #11 and let him develop with Levitre. Grab a CB in round 2 even look for Free agents and we are back in this thing. We have some big holes but we are really not that far from another playoff run.
    Any talk about offensive line improvement is welcome. Watching Rivers get destroyed was not fun. I'm liking Taylor Lewan, but I will be praying that Luke Joeckel falls to us. Wouldn't be upset with Jake Matthews or Eric Fisher. I would go Corner in the 2nd round aswell. 3rd or 4th round for RB.

vCash
    I changed my thinking a little on CB in the second.

We still need to draft an OL early in the draft, and definitely target the 3rd round with a RB. There will be some gems there. We're drafting #11 this year, So we'll likely be looking at the #3 OT in the draft. I'm not sold on the need to draft a CB high. We have 2 young CB that need a chance to play, and we should target Marcus Trufant in FA.

We should look at drafting another LB in the second round, as we are likely to ship out Mouton, English, Philips, and probably Spikes. I think Spikes is FA and will likely take his act somewhere else. Philips is getting very long in the tooth and need to go.

My priority: OT, LB, RB, OG.

Alexander will be more than willing to resign with us, and we should sign him to a deal that gives us the option of cutting him at any time due to injury. He should understand our thinking, especially with the injury history with some of our players.
    Last edited by Suns4ever67; 12-31-2012 at 07:39 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Chargedx View Post
    Any talk about offensive line improvement is welcome. Watching Rivers get destroyed was not fun. I'm liking Taylor Lewan, but I will be praying that Luke Joeckel falls to us. Wouldn't be upset with Jake Matthews or Eric Fisher. I would go Corner in the 2nd round aswell. 3rd or 4th round for RB.
    We will see how they look but from what I have seen I really like Lewan. He wears Longs numbers and apparently plays with an attitude. We need to bring that attitude back to the line. Dielman and Mcniel were a big loss but especially Dielman as he brought a confidence an a physicality to the line that we need to replace. Hopefully new management is looking to fill that void. Lewan could be our man.

Definitely like CB in the second if there is someone that can contribute on the board but then I would go right back to the line grab the best interior lineman available. We got holes on our line that one man is not going to fix. Like I said, hopefully we can help ourselves out in free agency and then we will see how things play out on draft day.

Go Bolts!

vCash
    I changed my thinking a little on CB in the second.

We still need to draft an OL early in the draft, and definitely target the 3rd round with a RB. There will be some gems there. We're drafting #11 this year, So we'll likely be looking at the #3 OT in the draft. I'm not sold on the need to draft a CB high. We have 2 young CB that need a chance to play, and we should target Marcus Trufant in FA.

We should look at drafting another LB in the second round, as we are likely to ship out Mouton, English, Philips, and probably Spikes. I think Spikes is FA and will likely take his act somewhere else. Philips is getting very long in the tooth and need to go.

My priority: OT, LB, RB, OG.

Alexander will be more than willing to resign with us, and we should sign him to a deal that gives us the option of cutting him at any time due to injury. He should understand our thinking, especially with the injury history with some of our players.
    O line needs help probably in the first and third but we need some serrious help at CB. Jammer's contract is up and his play has been decreasing. We could grab someone in free agency but we should still go young and be looking for a long term fix to develop with Weddle. Maybe we grab a MLB this draft but we have to give some players a chance. Ingram needs time on the field, Barnes, and Mouton needs a true shot. I think we got some ballers at that position and some potential on the bench.

Did Mouton ever get a shot?

vCash
    Jammer will make a good SS in a year or two, but I think that he's still a decent CB. It's not likely that we could draft a CB that could start in the NFL. Barring a trade or some kind of great free agent signing, I think Jammer will be playing corner again next year.

It's all about o-line this year.It's a terrible thing to have a QB like rivers not playing in the playoffs. People say he's getting worse. I blame most of it on the O-line. He was the most sacked and most hurried QB this year. I'd like to see a great G or T come to us in free agency and then also focus on the oline in the draft.

****, Meachem and Royal were just horrible. At least Alexander fell into our lap.
    Bruins, Chargers, Blue Jays, Raptors

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast