Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

vCash

Pitcher Comp Discussion

Lets clearly define some rules on this as there is confusion on the topic.

The current rule ambiguously states that to be classified as a mr, one has to primarily be a reliever. We need to clarify this.

Lets hear some options.

Sry for the short post, im at work posting this with my phone...

vCash
    Leave it how it is..if I couldn't get a comp for Troy Sidney/Craig Shilo, especially after beastly years, who should? I brought it up then and everyone was against it

If You Ain't Huckin, You Ain't ****in

vCash
    I think a player needs at least one season with NO starts (since that was the rule). I could see allowing 1 start, since the game seems to starts MRs sometimes, it's happened to me.

Additionally, but not completely nessacary, there could be a minimum VORP needed to be accumulated in the 100% reliever season (15-20 VORP?) so you can't put a guy with 65 VORP as an SP the season before in the pen and get a comp.
    TKO Royals GM 2015 -2040
    "Ain't nothin' but a KC thang"
    12 - 100 Win Seasons
    5 - AL Pennants
    3 - World Series Titles

"Things may come to those who wait, but only the things left by those who hustle." - Abraham Lincoln

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Joba_the_Beast View Post
    I think a player needs at least one season with NO starts (since that was the rule). I could see allowing 1 start, since the game seems to starts MRs sometimes, it's happened to me.

Additionally, but not completely nessacary, there could be a minimum VORP needed to be accumulated in the 100% reliever season (15-20 VORP?) so you can't put a guy with 65 VORP as an SP the season before in the pen and get a comp.
    This. Or, if necessary, say a guy needs 70VORP for Type-A if he split time between reliever and starter. (Wherein he had no more than 32 starts between the two years).

That's still super reasonable. That's a 50VORP starter season and a 20VORP reliever season combined.

And then. He made them pancakes.

vCash
    Or you could modify the current rule slightly and just say that any reliever spec will not have higher than something like 30-40 Stam.

TKHO'S NJ THUNDERCATS
    METRO CUPS - 1
    FINALIST TROPHIES - 2
    DONINANCE TROPHIES - 1
    DIVISION TITLES - 4

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill_R10 View Post
    Or you could modify the current rule slightly and just say that any reliever spec will not have higher than something like 30-40 Stam.
    Gene Ford was a great pitcher and had a mid to high 30s stamina

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by i am bob View Post
    Gene Ford was a great pitcher and had a mid to high 30s stamina

Most people wouldn't want to start a pitcher with a very low Stam. If 30 is too high we could always go 20 to make sure that the spec will be a reliever

TKHO'S NJ THUNDERCATS
    METRO CUPS - 1
    FINALIST TROPHIES - 2
    DONINANCE TROPHIES - 1
    DIVISION TITLES - 4

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Doogolas View Post
    This. Or, if necessary, say a guy needs 70VORP for Type-A if he split time between reliever and starter. (Wherein he had no more than 32 starts between the two years).

That's still super reasonable. That's a 50VORP starter season and a 20VORP reliever season combined.
    If we wanna go this route, I think it's reasonable. Average the benchmarks together, 75 and 50 for B, 100 and 60 for A, so they need over 62.5 and 80.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill_R10 View Post
    Most people wouldn't want to start a pitcher with a very low Stam. If 30 is too high we could always go 20 to make sure that the spec will be a reliever
    Definitely no on this though. A lot of relievers have value tied to their stam. For example, I'm getting a comp on Ka Kun-A, who was a beast for me largely because he was able to throw about nearly 120 innings a year out of the pen for me. With a lower stam he couldn't do this, and while he'd still be useful, would not be the relief ace he was.
    TKO Royals GM 2015 -2040
    "Ain't nothin' but a KC thang"
    12 - 100 Win Seasons
    5 - AL Pennants
    3 - World Series Titles

"Things may come to those who wait, but only the things left by those who hustle." - Abraham Lincoln

vCash
    I agree that we shouldn't limit stamina. I sign relievers with higher stamina sometimes because I can spot start them or add them to the rotation when someone is hurt. I think cases where someone has a star level pitcher pushed to the bullpen for a significant amount of time just to increase chances of getting comp will be minimal.

I am not in danger...I AM the danger.

vCash
    I think we need to do it proportionally to how much time was spent starting vs relieving.

In general I think it's fair to say the average starter in this league will get about 32-33 starts. To make the math easier we'll say 32. To figure out what the comp should be, we'll divide the number of starts made in one year by 32 and that will give us the proportional time starting.

So for example, if someone makes 8 starts in a season we can do 8 (starts in one individual season) divided by 32 (starts by an average starter) to get 0.25. We can then multiply 1.25 * RP VORP requirement for one season (30 for a comp) and get 37.5 VORP required for the A comp as the requirement for one season. This is not multiplying how much VORP was earned by a pitcher, just trying to figure out what the VORP requirement for a pitcher in one season should be.

Let's say in the second season someone made 16 starts. Doing the math again, we do 16/32 = 0.50. So to find out the VORP requirement for year 2, it's 1.5*32= 45.

To find out the combined VORP, you do 37.5+45= 82.5

It's still lower than A comp for a starter in most cases. And if a P gets near 50% as a SP both years, then it's much closer to 100 VORP. Which makes sense.

I think every RP with starts is going to have a different case, so this ensures that each is treated differently, and that once again only the elite RP/SP combos get the A compensation.

Vic Mackey: You better figure out how much you hate me. And how you're going to deal with that. 'Cause I'm not going anywhere.

This sums up every sports interview, ever.

vCash
    I like it, Twitch.

I am not in danger...I AM the danger.

12. 12-22-2012, 03:22 PM
    Reason
    Didn't work. Silly PSD