Like us on Facebook


Follow us on Twitter





Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 75

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    1,529
    vCash
    1500

    Interesting stat comparisons and projections ...

    Bored at work so I messed around with Kapernick's and Smith's stats.

    I took the first 5 games Kaepernick started plus the Rams game where he came in to replace an injured Smith.

    I then took Smiths first 6 starts of the season.

    I did this to show you how similar their stats really are. This is not a Kaep vs Smith who should be starting thread, this was done to show you that no matter who is at the QB position, the outcome is nearly the same. I think this could be attributed to the play calling, however we did see more of a wide open offense this past Sunday vs the Pats (Hopefully a sign of things to come)

    Had Kaepernick played a full 16 game schedule, I think you would be surprised to see just how close his numbers would have been to RGIII's in Washington.

    Had Smith played a full season, your looking at another 2011 campaign but with a few more Passing TD's and Int's thrown.

    CK First 5 Starts + Rams Game:

    Wins:4
    Losses:1
    Ties:1
    CMP%: 66.4%
    Passing Yards: 1200
    Passing Yards/Game: 200
    Avg Yards: 8.31
    TD: 7
    INT: 2
    Passer Rating: 100
    Rushing Yards: 268
    Rushing TD's: 3

    AS First 6 Starts

    Wins:4
    Losses:2
    CMP%: 67.6%
    Passing Yards: 1287
    Passing Yards/Game: 214.5
    Avg Yards: 7.9
    TD: 8
    INT: 4
    Passer Rating: 98.7
    Rushing Yards: 112
    Rushing TD's: 0

    To sum things up, the 49ers are in a nice position for the future. Teams in need of a QB will look at Smith's production over the previous two seasons and potentially build a system around him (Ground and Pound type offense with quick passes) I don't think a third round pick is out of the question considering what other teams have been giving up to get less talented QB's the past few years.
    Last edited by mudvayne387; 12-18-2012 at 08:46 AM.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    midwest
    Posts
    22,932
    vCash
    1500
    Yea, I did all these stats in another thread. They are pretty identical for the most part
    Quote Originally Posted by heimdog8 View Post
    I didn't want to throw this information out here. I was a 3 year varsity starter at QB in high school. I played quarterback in junior college as well. I was considering playing division 1 football as well but chose to pursue my career in business instead. However, currently I am helping train with Derek Carr from Fresno State get ready for his pro day and the draft. I am also working with Cody Kessler, the USC quarterback.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    1,529
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by rapjuicer06 View Post
    Yea, I did all these stats in another thread. They are pretty identical for the most part
    Sorry ! Must have missed that ...

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    midwest
    Posts
    22,932
    vCash
    1500
    It probably got backed up some where. I think it's a freaking insane stat. But it's also stupid on how the coaches coach them exactly the same when they have completely different playing styles
    Quote Originally Posted by heimdog8 View Post
    I didn't want to throw this information out here. I was a 3 year varsity starter at QB in high school. I played quarterback in junior college as well. I was considering playing division 1 football as well but chose to pursue my career in business instead. However, currently I am helping train with Derek Carr from Fresno State get ready for his pro day and the draft. I am also working with Cody Kessler, the USC quarterback.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    9,663
    vCash
    1500
    I'd like to see the stats if you take the Buffalo game out of the stats. Kap didn't get the benefit to his stats to play the absolute worst defense in the NFL. The Bills have given up 35 or more points 6 times this year and are giving up an average of 28.7 points per game (worst in the NFL-tied with Oakland). Their numbers wouldn't be so similar without that game.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    9,282
    vCash
    1500
    I wouldn't take away the Bills game. I mean, he did play a great game. Watching Smith play teams like Seattle and the Giants and watching how Kaep played vs Chi, NO and NE...it's just a different team. I'm not saying he's Montana...but guys like Montana were so good because everyone else just seemed to play better when he was there. The whole...make the guys around you better thing. Smith is a class act, but just doesn't have that kind of moxie.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    9,663
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by NinerHomer49 View Post
    I wouldn't take away the Bills game. I mean, he did play a great game. Watching Smith play teams like Seattle and the Giants and watching how Kaep played vs Chi, NO and NE...it's just a different team. I'm not saying he's Montana...but guys like Montana were so good because everyone else just seemed to play better when he was there. The whole...make the guys around you better thing. Smith is a class act, but just doesn't have that kind of moxie.
    I'm not saying Alex didn't play a great game in the Bills game. What I'm saying is that his stats are inflated by that 1 game against an awful defense.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    9,282
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by Lakers211221 View Post
    I'm not saying Alex didn't play a great game in the Bills game. What I'm saying is that his stats are inflated by that 1 game against an awful defense.
    That's true. They are pretty bad. Smith had 3 TDs vs them. I only mention that because...he's never had a 4 TD game in his career. Kaep did in his 6th career start.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    9,663
    vCash
    1500
    I also noticed that by only using Alex's first 6 starts, it is conveniently excluding the Seahawks game where Alex put up about 7% lower completion % from his average, 1 TD and 1 INT, and a passer rating of 74.5. Plug the Seahawks game in place of the Bills game and then tell me what their stats are. This is ridiculous.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    9,282
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by Lakers211221 View Post
    I also noticed that by only using Alex's first 6 starts, it is conveniently excluding the Seahawks game where Alex put up about 7% lower completion % from his average, 1 TD and 1 INT, and a passer rating of 74.5. Plug the Seahawks game in place of the Bills game and then tell me what their stats are. This is ridiculous.
    Well, they used his first 6 because Kaep only has 6. Anyway, we'll get a chance to see how Kaep does vs Seattle this week. It's tougher on the road, but Seattle may be without their top 2 CBs so I think it kind of evens out. Not as easy for Seattle though. There is some tape out there on Kaepernick, but the thing that makes Kaep dangerous in my opinion is the things you can't practice for. His escapability, ability to throw on the run and ability to take a busted pocket and turn it into a 50 yd run. Seattle has some great LBs too so it'll be pretty interesting to see how they deal with Kaep's foot speed.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    1,529
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by Lakers211221 View Post
    I also noticed that by only using Alex's first 6 starts, it is conveniently excluding the Seahawks game where Alex put up about 7% lower completion % from his average, 1 TD and 1 INT, and a passer rating of 74.5. Plug the Seahawks game in place of the Bills game and then tell me what their stats are. This is ridiculous.
    I didn't exclude it because I'm a Smith fan, I excluded it because Kaep has only had 5 starts plus a chunk of another game. After Sunday nights game I will revise them and add both Seattle games to the mix.

    Also, Smiths stats may be inflated because of the Bills game, but Kaep also had the opportunity to play against a Saints D that is historically bad.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    9,282
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by mudvayne387 View Post
    I didn't exclude it because I'm a Smith fan, I excluded it because Kaep has only had 5 starts plus a chunk of another game. After Sunday nights game I will revise them and add both Seattle games to the mix.

    Also, Smiths stats may be inflated because of the Bills game, but Kaep also had the opportunity to play against a Saints D that is historically bad.
    True, but NO had been playing better in recent weeks with the return of a few players and the Bills game was at home while the Saints game was in the Superdome. Both were cross country games so the road team had a distinct disadvantage. The Saints had also won 4 in a row I think to get back to .500 and the Patriots of course never lose in December. Nobody is taking away that Alex played great...but Kaep has clearly had the tougher road and has put up pretty much the same stats. 6 starts...compared to 8 yrs of experience.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    1,529
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by NinerHomer49 View Post
    True, but NO had been playing better in recent weeks with the return of a few players and the Bills game was at home while the Saints game was in the Superdome. Both were cross country games so the road team had a distinct disadvantage. The Saints had also won 4 in a row I think to get back to .500 and the Patriots of course never lose in December. Nobody is taking away that Alex played great...but Kaep has clearly had the tougher road and has put up pretty much the same stats. 6 starts...compared to 8 yrs of experience.
    Agree 100%

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    midwest
    Posts
    22,932
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by Lakers211221 View Post
    I'd like to see the stats if you take the Buffalo game out of the stats. Kap didn't get the benefit to his stats to play the absolute worst defense in the NFL. The Bills have given up 35 or more points 6 times this year and are giving up an average of 28.7 points per game (worst in the NFL-tied with Oakland). Their numbers wouldn't be so similar without that game.
    Yea he did, he played the Saints...worst defense in the league
    Quote Originally Posted by heimdog8 View Post
    I didn't want to throw this information out here. I was a 3 year varsity starter at QB in high school. I played quarterback in junior college as well. I was considering playing division 1 football as well but chose to pursue my career in business instead. However, currently I am helping train with Derek Carr from Fresno State get ready for his pro day and the draft. I am also working with Cody Kessler, the USC quarterback.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    9,663
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by mudvayne387 View Post
    I didn't exclude it because I'm a Smith fan, I excluded it because Kaep has only had 5 starts plus a chunk of another game. After Sunday nights game I will revise them and add both Seattle games to the mix.

    Also, Smiths stats may be inflated because of the Bills game, but Kaep also had the opportunity to play against a Saints D that is historically bad.
    And, Alex got the Lions who give up identical points per game as the Saints.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •