Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Valdespin doesn't walk either, and if you project his numbers, he'll strike out a lot.
    191 AB 10BB 44K
    Murphy
    612 AB 36BB 82K

Project Valdespin to triple his numbers and you have 30BB and 132K, although that would also project to 24 HR and 30 SB.

Valdespin is interesting, but I'd have to see more plate discipline. You know the front office is looking at OPS and WAR.
    Scarecrow: I haven't got a brain... only straw.
    Dorothy: How can you talk if you haven't got a brain?
    Scarecrow: I don't know... But some people without brains do an awful lot of talking... don't they?
    Dorothy: Yes, I guess you're right.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by YoungStuna28 View Post
    Not when Murphy is going to start making $3M next year and more and more after that.

Murphy is so overrated by Mets fans. He sucks at 2B, has no power, and doesn't walk. Valdespin has more power, speed, and better defense. I'd be interested to see what he would do over a full season.
    He's also a headcase.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by eltwo View Post
    Valdespin doesn't walk either, and if you project his numbers, he'll strike out a lot.
    191 AB 10BB 44K
    Murphy
    612 AB 36BB 82K

Project Valdespin to triple his numbers and you have 30BB and 132K, although that would also project to 24 HR and 30 SB.

Valdespin is interesting, but I'd have to see more plate discipline. You know the front office is looking at OPS and WAR.
    Yeah I expect Valdespin to strike out 20% of his PA. So if he gets 600 PA, I fully expect 120 Ks at least. But he can hit 15-20 HR or so with 20 SB and good 2B defense.'

This winter it looks like he's been working on his plate discipline: .291/.402/.407 with 15:13 BB/K ratio.

vCash
    Reyes had the same problem when he first came up.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by erickench View Post
    Reyes had the same problem when he first came up.
    Reyes was far younger though. Not saying Valdespin can't improve that, it just becomes more difficult.

vCash
    Yeah I expect Valdespin to strike out 20% of his PA. So if he gets 600 PA, I fully expect 120 Ks at least. But he can hit 15-20 HR or so with 20 SB and good 2B defense.'

This winter it looks like he's been working on his plate discipline: .291/.402/.407 with 15:13 BB/K ratio.
    I think thats fair. I wouldn't hate using Murphy as trade bait and having Valdespin stepping into second base. If he flops we still have Turner who I feel is fully capable of playing second everyday.

As for MDD. If you want him starting the season in Tripple A theres 2 things I would like to see him focus on.

1) Stealing bases: He certainly has the speed to become a very formidable base stealing threat but he has yet to put up the Stolen Base numbers.

2) Plate Discipline: He's a great defender and has pop but he most likely will never be a high BA guy. If he could work on his plate discipline he should strike out less which should increase his OBP and therefore steal more bases and score more runs.

Presenting the 2013 New York Mets Outfield.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Rio40 View Post
    I think thats fair. I wouldn't hate using Murphy as trade bait and having Valdespin stepping into second base. If he flops we still have Turner who I feel is fully capable of playing second everyday.

As for MDD. If you want him starting the season in Tripple A theres 2 things I would like to see him focus on.

1) Stealing bases: He certainly has the speed to become a very formidable base stealing threat but he has yet to put up the Stolen Base numbers.

2) Plate Discipline: He's a great defender and has pop but he most likely will never be a high BA guy. If he could work on his plate discipline he should strike out less which should increase his OBP and therefore steal more bases and score more runs.
    Easier said than done.

vCash
    Easier said than done.
    The plate discipline will be a challenge. Theres no doubt, its more of a instinctual thing and hard to teach.

However learning how to steal bases shouldn't be too much of a challenge. The speed is already there so he just needs to learn how to read pitchers and learn when to steal.

Presenting the 2013 New York Mets Outfield.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Rio40 View Post
    The plate discipline will be a challenge. Theres no doubt, its more of a instinctual thing and hard to teach.

However learning how to steal bases shouldn't be too much of a challenge. The speed is already there so he just needs to learn how to read pitchers and learn when to steal.
    He has above average speed, he's not a plus runner. He will steal 20 bases at best.

vCash
    Valdespin will only get worse if he plays full time. He hasn't even been fully exposed and exploited by MLB pitchers. He hit under .200 over his last 100 PAs in 2012. I didn't see any indication he knows how to adjust.
    "The 90 wins is about challenge. It's about changing the conversation. It's about framing questions for ourselves as to how we get there. So I stand by the notion that we need to get better, and in doing so we need to set concrete goals for ourselves so that we have sort of specific conversations among ourselves about how we're going to get there." -- Mr. Alderson

vCash
    He wasn't playing everyday, he was rotting on the bench.

If Valdespin plays everyday, I expect a .250/.290/.420 line. Nothing special, but he plays good defense and has more speed on the bases. Not to mention he's cheap, still young, and able to improve.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dugmet View Post
    I'll take Murphy any day over Valdespin. Valdespin might take 3 to 4 more years to be a decent everyday player.
    It also seems that Valdespin has had issues with his attitude with nearly every manager he has played for.

vCash
    colin cowgill??????

vCash
    Collin Cowgill from the A's for Jefry Marte

Cowgirl, welcome to the Mets.

vCash
    He actually had solid numbers when he was in Arizona's farm.

Classic Moneyball guy. Doesn't K much, walks, high OBP, moderate power, .270 guy. Seems more like a 4th OF they will give a chance to. Only knock is he's 26, but screw it.

Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast