Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    vCash
    I'm confused, I hear we have $70m committed to 2013, but then I have also heard we have $90m committed. I know the budget is supposed to be $100m or so.

Sandy and Jeff spoke about payroll flexibility, but they're not really acting like it... we need 3 OF'ers and they haven't gotten 1 yet? What gives?

vCash
    Nieuwenheiss will be our starting centerfielder but we must bring back Hairston. We could make a deal by trading Duda for an outfielder.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by StoicSentry View Post
    I'm confused, I hear we have $70m committed to 2013, but then I have also heard we have $90m committed. I know the budget is supposed to be $100m or so.

Sandy and Jeff spoke about payroll flexibility, but they're not really acting like it... we need 3 OF'ers and they haven't gotten 1 yet? What gives?
    1) I don't see the Mets spending on any free agent outfielders. Its too much of a risk considering most are 30 or above by the time they hit free agency.

2) I don't think the Mets would be able to spend this year anyway.

3) There is nobody out there that I would really want to break the bank for.

Presenting the 2013 New York Mets Outfield.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Rio40 View Post
    Here are my top 5. I'm going by who I think is available btw.

1. Peter Bourjos

2. Carlos Gomez

3. Dexter Fowler

4. Tony Campana

5. Coco Crisp
    Fowler will cost too much and I don't want Crisp or Campana.

vCash
    Get Cody Ross & resign Harrison (2 yrs on both and call it good) and platoon everyone. That way we're not stuck with anyone.

I wonder what a big league outfielder would cost in terms of prospects?
    " You seek Yoda!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Rio40 View Post
    1) I don't see the Mets spending on any free agent outfielders. Its too much of a risk considering most are 30 or above by the time they hit free agency.

2) I don't think the Mets would be able to spend this year anyway.

3) There is nobody out there that I would really want to break the bank for.
    I'm just trying to figure out whether Sandy and Jeff were flat out lying to us about payroll flexibility, because if so, well... you know. If you have 3 vacant spots in the outfield, why not fill one of them unless you're just broke?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by YoungStuna28 View Post
    Fowler will cost too much and I don't want Crisp or Campana.
    Fowler - Yes I agree he will cost too much which is why I have him behind Bourjos and Gomez.

Crisp - He is very underrated and actually a very good player. The problem with him is his age. At 33 he really wouldn't fit into the Mets future plans. He is certainly a HUGE upgrade though.

Campana - Haven't seen enough of him to really make a fair judgement but what I do know is that he has blazing speed. He wouldn't be ideal but atleast he can steal some bases and play good defense and probably wouldn't cost much.

vCash
    I'm just trying to figure out whether Sandy and Jeff were flat out lying to us about payroll flexibility, because if so, well... you know. If you have 3 vacant spots in the outfield, why not fill one of them unless you're just broke?
    Yeah I feel you. In all honesty I think if it was 2014 and there was a 27 year old slugging outfielder available in free agency they would jump on it.

I don't feel the flexibility is there yet and they are semi lying. They can justify the lie though by saying that there really isn't anything great available.

vCash
    I think Signing Hairston, and Trading for a young outfielder is the only route we will see. I think Sandy wants flexibility going into 2014 season.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by The-rock-man View Post
    Get Cody Ross & resign Harrison (2 yrs on both and call it good) and platoon everyone. That way we're not stuck with anyone.

Why not?

ďNinety percent Iíll spend on good times, women, and Irish whiskey. The other ten percent Iíll probably waste.Ē
    - Tug McGraw, on his plans for his $75,000 salary

vCash
    How is Hairston defensively? I thought he was OK, but he's a big guy, maybe he's not the best.

See the thing that scares me the most right now about them not signing Hairston is the idea that they're looking to start Lucas Duda in left, and so Scott is a no-go because they need 2 guys like Den Dekker and Kirk to compensate for Duda's craptastic defense.

#1 on my wishlist is pleeeeeeeeeease never let me see Lucas Duda playing outfield in a Mets uniform ever again.

#2 sign free agents...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by The-rock-man View Post

This would make the most sense but I don't have faith in them spending the money. Even though 2 year deals are as "flexible" as you can get.

Having Kirk/MDD in center with Ross in left and a Hairston/Duda platoon in right would not be a terrible outfield at all.

vCash

You haven't noticed that SA leverages patience?

Also, SA isn't going to max out the budget at the start of the season. He'll leave room to add a player IF the situation is appropriate AND the right player is available.
    Last edited by Dugmet; 12-18-2012 at 09:31 AM.
    "The 90 wins is about challenge. It's about changing the conversation. It's about framing questions for ourselves as to how we get there. So I stand by the notion that we need to get better, and in doing so we need to set concrete goals for ourselves so that we have sort of specific conversations among ourselves about how we're going to get there." -- Mr. Alderson

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dugmet View Post
    You haven't noticed that SA leverages patience?
    LOL fair enough.

vCash
    redundent
    "The 90 wins is about challenge. It's about changing the conversation. It's about framing questions for ourselves as to how we get there. So I stand by the notion that we need to get better, and in doing so we need to set concrete goals for ourselves so that we have sort of specific conversations among ourselves about how we're going to get there." -- Mr. Alderson

Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast