Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PapelbonLester View Post
    i say we resign the guy. He's the best CF in the market next offseason. Probably the best OF in the market. Unless we plan on Nelson Cruz and moving SV back to CF.
    If Ellsbury has a year halfway between 2009 and 2011, he'll be commanding $20M+ per for a 6 year deal. He'll under perform that by a good deal IMO. No thanks. Even at $16M x 4 years he's too much of a risk.

Besides, all media whisperings I've heard is that he does not like it here, and after the **** fest he went through in 2010, who can blame him.

6/27/09: “We expect [Rondo] to play by the rules and be a leader as a point guard. We need him to be more of a leader,” Ainge said. “There were just a couple situations where he was late this year, I don’t know if he was sitting in his car, but showed up late and the rest of the team was there. We have team rules and you have to be on time. He was fined for being late, he said he was stuck in traffic, and it’s just unacceptable.”

Some jerks never learn.....

vCash
    we gotta trade him if we can, regardless of what kind of year hes having i cant imagine us giving him a long term deal up to Boras' standards. I'd much rather trade him for some prospects than wait on a single draft pick. Ideally id want to send him for a young mlb level pitcher and some prospects. only situation i say keep him is if the sox go beyond expectations and are in any sort of playoff hunt.

vCash
    Unless we're a legit World Series contender, of which he's a huge contributor, Ellsbury will be traded before the end of the season. Coming off injury, he's obviously not worth as much as he is when healthy. Healthy = super productive for this guy and there's a lot of teams who will be in need for his type of athlete when the time comes. Not long ago, Ellsbury was a 32 homer, 105-RBI guy; rare combo of speed and power.

We have a nice stockpile of speedy, outfielders on the farm and re-signing Ellsbury just doesn't fit with the three year plan to rebuild from within.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Bama Sox View Post
    Unless we're a legit World Series contender, of which he's a huge contributor, Ellsbury will be traded before the end of the season. Coming off injury, he's obviously not worth as much as he is when healthy. Healthy = super productive for this guy and there's a lot of teams who will be in need for his type of athlete when the time comes. Not long ago, Ellsbury was a 32 homer, 105-RBI guy; rare combo of speed and power.

We have a nice stockpile of speedy, outfielders on the farm and re-signing Ellsbury just doesn't fit with the three year plan to rebuild from within.
    His value is pretty low compared to his 30 homer year, he needs to play like the superstar he is or their not gonna get the value we all hope for in a trade. Teams wont be lining up to get an injury prone overrated outfielder. he will need to prove he can stay healthy and his one outlier, MVP caliber season is actually what should be expected of him. if he can do this up until the all star break, teams will be lining up and our expectations of what we can get in return will make us a lot happier.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by thebrianscal View Post
    His value is pretty low compared to his 30 homer year, he needs to play like the superstar he is or their not gonna get the value we all hope for in a trade. Teams wont be lining up to get an injury prone overrated outfielder. he will need to prove he can stay healthy and his one outlier, MVP caliber season is actually what should be expected of him. if he can do this up until the all star break, teams will be lining up and our expectations of what we can get in return will make us a lot happier.
    If he comes in healthy and plays like we know he can play...he'll fetch a nice return around trade deadline.

And Ellsbury isn't "injury prone", he's just unlucky. A pair of collisions are to blame for the guy's DL time, not a brittle body.

vCash
    If he comes in healthy and plays like we know he can play...he'll fetch a nice return around trade deadline.

And Ellsbury isn't "injury prone", he's just unlucky. A pair of collisions are to blame for the guy's DL time, not a brittle body.
    call it injury prone or unlucky, but unless he comes out playing like the all star we know he can be, GM's are gonna use the number of games hes missed as a negotiation point. maybe not fair but it will affect his value.

if he goes into the all star break with even 15 homers and batting over .300 and steals and defense are where they should be, and he stays on the field, the sox trade him and will get plenty of value.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by thebrianscal View Post
    call it injury prone or unlucky, but unless he comes out playing like the all star we know he can be, GM's are gonna use the number of games hes missed as a negotiation point. maybe not fair but it will affect his value.

if he goes into the all star break with even 15 homers and batting over .300 and steals and defense are where they should be, and he stays on the field, the sox trade him and will get plenty of value.
    Even over 15? That's 30 full season - well over what I expect. I'd be happy with 9 midway. His game is OBP, speed and D.

Also I can't see an All Star when I look at him.

6/27/09: “We expect [Rondo] to play by the rules and be a leader as a point guard. We need him to be more of a leader,” Ainge said. “There were just a couple situations where he was late this year, I don’t know if he was sitting in his car, but showed up late and the rest of the team was there. We have team rules and you have to be on time. He was fined for being late, he said he was stuck in traffic, and it’s just unacceptable.”

Some jerks never learn.....

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by bagwell368 View Post
    Even over 15? That's 30 full season - well over what I expect. I'd be happy with 9 midway. His game is OBP, speed and D.

Also I can't see an All Star when I look at him.
    ya 15 was definitely to high, my bad. but you get my point, he needs to be displaying all star numbers like he is capable of, or the fact that he is 'unlucky' when it comes to injuries is going to stunt his value in the trade market. he plays well next year and that injury problem, whatever you want to call it, can be forgotten.

vCash
    Bc of boras he will get more money than he's worth and he hates playing here.

Deadline trade!!!!!!

vCash
    OMG...

2011 was a Gold Glove, Silver Slugger, AL MVP runner-up year for Ellsbury...

2012 is another collision, misses a lot of time b/c of shoulder injury but still comes back in July & puts up 271 avg with 18 doubles, 4 homers, 26 RBI, 14 SB's in only 74 games.

This isn't a matter of "IF" it's a fact; Ellsbury is one of the best players in all of MLB when he's on the field. We aren't talking about a guy who has hammy problems or back problems...like I said, it was a pair of nasty on-field collisions, freak accidents, that saw him lose a couple of seasons due to injury.

....and you don't see the All Star in Jacoby...lol

vCash
    OMG...

2011 was a Gold Glove, Silver Slugger, AL MVP runner-up year for Ellsbury...

2012 is another collision, misses a lot of time b/c of shoulder injury but still comes back in July & puts up 271 avg with 18 doubles, 4 homers, 26 RBI, 14 SB's in only 74 games.

This isn't a matter of "IF" it's a fact; Ellsbury is one of the best players in all of MLB when he's on the field. We aren't talking about a guy who has hammy problems or back problems...like I said, it was a pair of nasty on-field collisions, freak accidents, that saw him lose a couple of seasons due to injury.

....and you don't see the All Star in Jacoby...lol
    .682 OPS this year. Thats awful. If it was a sure thing that he is one of the MLB's best players when healthy he'd have more value than he doesnt now. Nobody knows how good he is. This upcoming season will probably give us a good idea though.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Nomar View Post
    .682 OPS this year. Thats awful. If it was a sure thing that he is one of the MLB's best players when healthy he'd have more value than he doesnt now. Nobody knows how good he is. This upcoming season will probably give us a good idea though.
    Coming off a shoulder injury like that, only 74 games, in that dysfunctional clubhouse...I'm not going to complain. I'm inclined to believe a majority of players wouldn't be as good in that situation.

Jacoby IS special. He's been nothing short of MVP-caliber on healthy seasons and he's not flipping injury prone! For the love of God...how fast we forget.

And for the record, I'm no Ellsbury homer. I do love watching the guy play but if I have it my way, he's dealt before that contract runs out.

vCash
    Coming off a shoulder injury like that, only 74 games, in that dysfunctional clubhouse...I'm not going to complain. I'm inclined to believe a majority of players wouldn't be as good in that situation.

Jacoby IS special. He's been nothing short of MVP-caliber on healthy seasons and he's not flipping injury prone! For the love of God...how fast we forget.

And for the record, I'm no Ellsbury homer. I do love watching the guy play but if I have it my way, he's dealt before that contract runs out.
    Hes only had one MVP caliber season and one other All Star year.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Nomar View Post
    Hes only had one MVP caliber season and one other All Star year.
    He's only been in the Bigs for five seasons, two of which he missed most due to injury. Your point?

2008, 09, 11 were great/stellar/phenomenal seasons btw

vCash
    You dont see an All-Star in Ellsbury. Cmon. The guys been through hell with us and put up some decent number before getting hurt and returning avg. Give the man a chance. IDC what he demands for money you people have to be kidding me with the contracts. We can sign 4 guys for 20 mill a year and THEN just THEN you can make contracts an issue. Do you people relise how much money we CAN spend? really. Holding back on a player we groomed and has the chance to be good for years just becasue hes only had 1 all star season in his 5 years because of injurys? i read some of these posts dumbfounded. Please read how much the owners make look at our payroll. Look how we could of still signed 20 mill players when we traded contracts out of here it just wasnt Bens team. It wasnt a great team we were an OK team with huge contracts. You dont think Els would be good person to keep because hes going to do good and demand money? ummm ok PAY HIM!! The man was 2nd in position players WAR rating 2 years ago when 100%. So last he got hurt so now get rid of him? if he puts up the numbers in 2011 do you ppl honestly think we should let him go becasue hes going to demand money?

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast