Like us on Facebook


Follow us on Twitter





Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
Results 61 to 75 of 75
  1. #61
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Wethersfield/Storrs, CT
    Posts
    8,841
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by j-bay View Post
    You want to know why? YOU WANT TO KNOW WHY?!
    I loled right here

  2. #62
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Portland, Maine
    Posts
    2,793
    vCash
    1500
    What kind of return can we get for Ells right now? And what kind of return could we get for him at the trade deadline if he is having a GOOD not great but good year.

  3. #63
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    251
    vCash
    1500
    You take the risk that ells has a great year. Even if its only a good one his value will remain the same. Take the risk his value rises

  4. #64
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Greenville, SC
    Posts
    15,174
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by ruckus16969 View Post
    What kind of return can we get for Ells right now? And what kind of return could we get for him at the trade deadline if he is having a GOOD not great but good year.
    This is the biggest risk of keeping him, IMO. If you trade Ellsbury now then you can probably get back an MLB-ready player and a minor leaguer with some potential. The advantage to this scenario is that the risk of the player(s) received in the deal washing out are significantly diminished.

    If you go into the season with him then you risk that he play, gulp, to his career norm. For him to fetch anything of worth at the trade deadline you've got to hope that he's hitting at least that well but with a better OBP AND that he's stealing bases. You've also got to go to the deadline hoping that a contender has an unproductive CF and/or has an injury. The chances that he repeats 2011 are extraordinarily low so you need these market factors to force his value up.

    Option C is to play through the deal and take a pick at the end of the season. Qualifying offers will probably be closer to $14M/yr next year and there are only two deals to OFers at that level right now, and one went to a player younger than Jacoby. It's not unrealistic to think that he might not be worth a QO and miss a pick.

  5. #65
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    727
    vCash
    1500
    Take the pick..maybe in 12 years the pick will be ready to play in Pawtucket.
    F'n team is a JOKE....

  6. #66
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Portland, Maine
    Posts
    2,793
    vCash
    1500
    love ur advitar pic Patsfreak

  7. #67
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    39,922
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by Bama Sox View Post
    OMG...

    2011 was a Gold Glove, Silver Slugger, AL MVP runner-up year for Ellsbury...

    2012 is another collision, misses a lot of time b/c of shoulder injury but still comes back in July & puts up 271 avg with 18 doubles, 4 homers, 26 RBI, 14 SB's in only 74 games.

    This isn't a matter of "IF" it's a fact; Ellsbury is one of the best players in all of MLB when he's on the field. We aren't talking about a guy who has hammy problems or back problems...like I said, it was a pair of nasty on-field collisions, freak accidents, that saw him lose a couple of seasons due to injury.

    ....and you don't see the All Star in Jacoby...lol
    How's it going so far? Leading the league in SB's and 3B's with a .299 BA.

    He's a 2 rWAR player per 650 PA season (outside of 2011), not suitable for a big contract.


    6/27/09: “We expect [Rondo] to play by the rules and be a leader as a point guard. We need him to be more of a leader,” Ainge said. “There were just a couple situations where he was late this year, I don’t know if he was sitting in his car, but showed up late and the rest of the team was there. We have team rules and you have to be on time. He was fined for being late, he said he was stuck in traffic, and it’s just unacceptable.”

    Some jerks never learn.....

  8. #68
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    3,494
    vCash
    1500
    Only way the sox trade Ells is if things arn't looking good at the deadline..

    I'd be pretty surprised if boston is too far away (if at all) at the deadline.



  9. #69
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    A place called Paradise
    Posts
    13,846
    vCash
    1500
    honestly the most i offer is a 5 year deal worth 70 million. He won't take it, but who cares. If he does then ok, anything more than that is just way to risky
    Jackie Bradley Junior.... that is all

  10. #70
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Stonington CT
    Posts
    2,791
    vCash
    1500
    So if Ellsbury took a lesser deal, to stay in Boston, would anyone care? Or is it just a he needs to go kinda thing? I'm up in the air about it. Sometimes I think well if we keep him, we can move him to LF when Bradley is ready. Then other times i'm thinking Bradley is a better player, and we need a power bat in LF. I still like Ellsbury a lot!

    From the front office point of view, I believe they have a plan and are going to stick to it regardless. What I mean by that is this. Regardless of our record they are still going to stick to there bridge year plan.

  11. #71
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Greenville, SC
    Posts
    15,174
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by BGeer091 View Post
    So if Ellsbury took a lesser deal, to stay in Boston, would anyone care? Or is it just a he needs to go kinda thing? I'm up in the air about it. Sometimes I think well if we keep him, we can move him to LF when Bradley is ready. Then other times i'm thinking Bradley is a better player, and we need a power bat in LF. I still like Ellsbury a lot!

    From the front office point of view, I believe they have a plan and are going to stick to it regardless. What I mean by that is this. Regardless of our record they are still going to stick to there bridge year plan.
    I doubt many people would be upset if he took a "lesser deal." That seems very unlikely, though. He switched to Boras in the wake of the Ellsbury mania in the 2007 WS run when it seemed that he could do no wrong. Though the Sox have tried on a few occasions he's refused to sign a long term extension. All signs point to him getting the max value that the market will bear in January.

  12. #72
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    451
    vCash
    1500
    There isn't a player that everyone here likes, at least all the time. When Bradley comes up and goes into a slump all the Ellsbury lovers will be saying I told you so. Last year people couldn't shove Youk out the door fast enough to make room for the superstar WMB, now I'm sure I'll be reading about trade ideas for him.

    On and on it goes, but you have to keep somebody and put a team on the field. I'd like to see them keep Ells, even if we overpay.

  13. #73
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Stonington CT
    Posts
    2,791
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by MG956 View Post
    There isn't a player that everyone here likes, at least all the time. When Bradley comes up and goes into a slump all the Ellsbury lovers will be saying I told you so. Last year people couldn't shove Youk out the door fast enough to make room for the superstar WMB, now I'm sure I'll be reading about trade ideas for him.

    On and on it goes, but you have to keep somebody and put a team on the field. I'd like to see them keep Ells, even if we overpay.
    Its not just here lol. It's everywhere in every sport. I'm more on the side of keeping him for the right price. I don't want to over pay. I know what your saying about WMB too. All my friends loved him lol, now they hate him. I still like WMB. I've liked him since we drafted him. Players that have lost favor that I still admire are Britton, and Coyle. It's just the nature of sports I guess.

    Realistically I can't see us getting a lot for Ellsbury. If he starts to light it up in the HR department, then that changes. He is having a very good season so far. I was praying that Rizzo would slump in the beginning while Ellsbury went off and we traded Ellsbury + for Rizzo and Soriano. Soriano was just a big contract to make it sweeter for the Cubs... This is not gonna happen so....

  14. #74
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Wethersfield/Storrs, CT
    Posts
    8,841
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by BGeer091 View Post
    Its not just here lol. It's everywhere in every sport. I'm more on the side of keeping him for the right price. I don't want to over pay. I know what your saying about WMB too. All my friends loved him lol, now they hate him. I still like WMB. I've liked him since we drafted him. Players that have lost favor that I still admire are Britton, and Coyle. It's just the nature of sports I guess.

    Realistically I can't see us getting a lot for Ellsbury. If he starts to light it up in the HR department, then that changes. He is having a very good season so far. I was praying that Rizzo would slump in the beginning while Ellsbury went off and we traded Ellsbury + for Rizzo and Soriano. Soriano was just a big contract to make it sweeter for the Cubs... This is not gonna happen so....
    Rizzo could hit .000 and still wouldn't be traded especially for a half season of Ellsbury. Maybe Singleton is more realistic if you want a 1B and of the Astros want someone to bring fans to games.

  15. #75
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    39,922
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by MG956 View Post
    There isn't a player that everyone here likes, at least all the time. When Bradley comes up and goes into a slump all the Ellsbury lovers will be saying I told you so. Last year people couldn't shove Youk out the door fast enough to make room for the superstar WMB, now I'm sure I'll be reading about trade ideas for him.

    On and on it goes, but you have to keep somebody and put a team on the field. I'd like to see them keep Ells, even if we overpay.
    Posters have been trying to move WMB for a long time...

    Sure we have to have a roster. I just don't think Ellsbury's agent will allow him to come back for an affordable contract. If we pay the freight then I'm very concerned and very sure he will come nowhere near reaching it.
    Last edited by bagwell368; 04-24-2013 at 10:58 AM.


    6/27/09: “We expect [Rondo] to play by the rules and be a leader as a point guard. We need him to be more of a leader,” Ainge said. “There were just a couple situations where he was late this year, I don’t know if he was sitting in his car, but showed up late and the rest of the team was there. We have team rules and you have to be on time. He was fined for being late, he said he was stuck in traffic, and it’s just unacceptable.”

    Some jerks never learn.....

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •