Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    vCash

Red Sox might not trade Ellsbury, might be leaning towards taking pick

The Red Sox have been rebuffing trade inquiries about Jacoby Ellsbury, Jon Heyman of CBSSports.com reports (on Twitter). Boston can obtain a compensatory draft pick if Ellsbury declines a qualifying offer to sign elsewhere following the 2013 season, when he’ll become eligible for free agency.
    http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/jacoby_ellsbury/

PAPI SMASH!

vCash
    well yah, unless a team comes to them with a legit package, BOS should NOT trade him for the sake of trading him

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by grandsalami View Post
    well yah, unless a team comes to them with a legit package, BOS should NOT trade him for the sake of trading him
    Until they get to the deadline. I'm okay with them being patient and hoping he rebuilds his value, but if he has a solid first half of the season and the Sox are out of the playoff hunt, it would be ridiculous not to trade him. The new rules greatly diminish the compensation received for losing a free agent (1 comp pick vs 1st round pick + comp pick) and I'm sure we could get much more than that for Ells. I would have preferred we aggressively shopped him now and take away the risk of him getting hurt again and losing all value, but I can see why they would wait and hope he rebounds first. Letting him walk for a single comp pick, especially if we are out of the race at the deadline would be utter incompetence.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ausox View Post
    until they get to the deadline. I'm okay with them being patient and hoping he rebuilds his value, but if he has a solid first half of the season and the sox are out of the playoff hunt, it would be ridiculous not to trade him. The new rules greatly diminish the compensation received for losing a free agent (1 comp pick vs 1st round pick + comp pick) and i'm sure we could get much more than that for ells. I would have preferred we aggressively shopped him now and take away the risk of him getting hurt again and losing all value, but i can see why they would wait and hope he rebounds first. Letting him walk for a single comp pick, especially if we are out of the race at the deadline would be utter incompetence.
    +1

vCash
    It's a BC/LL snow job using a reporter IMO.

The Sox would love to trade Ells. They haven't gotten a good enough offer yet. So by making up a story about a clamoring market and BRS FO dead set against dealing their "linchpin", they are trying to create interest and a market for him.

Believe me - the first solid/fair offer that comes along is going to be considered very closely.

He does have an injury history and when he wasn't hurt last year his power was missing. The question is does building his value by the deadline/waiver period exceed his value now? Dunno. Nobody does. That's the rub.

6/27/09: “We expect [Rondo] to play by the rules and be a leader as a point guard. We need him to be more of a leader,” Ainge said. “There were just a couple situations where he was late this year, I don’t know if he was sitting in his car, but showed up late and the rest of the team was there. We have team rules and you have to be on time. He was fined for being late, he said he was stuck in traffic, and it’s just unacceptable.”

Some jerks never learn.....

vCash
    You don't know that for a Fact Bag's. Teams could be very interested in trading for Ellsbury, but are low balling the sox because they think we are desperate in trading him due to the fact Ellsbury will soon be a free agent.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by bagwell368 View Post
    It's a BC/LL snow job using a reporter IMO.

The Sox would love to trade Ells. They haven't gotten a good enough offer yet. So by making up a story about a clamoring market and BRS FO dead set against dealing their "linchpin", they are trying to create interest and a market for him.

Believe me - the first solid/fair offer that comes along is going to be considered very closely.

He does have an injury history and when he wasn't hurt last year his power was missing. The question is does building his value by the deadline/waiver period exceed his value now? Dunno. Nobody does. That's the rub.
    This...

Ells would be out of here TONIGHT if Larry got a deal that made him warm inside.

I think Ellsbury will be a goner at the deadline. I think in his contract year with a lot to prove he will have himself a very good season and build value. Teams will no doubt want Jacoby and we will get the deal we like come mid season

vCash
    Eithier for Ells straight up

vCash
    Olt and Buckel for Ells and Salty

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by tc2deuce View Post
    Hell no

vCash
    Ethier is getting paid stupid money.

'13-'18 (salary/age):

$13.5M - 31
    $15.5M - 32
    $18M - 33
    $18M - 34
    $17.5M - 35
    $17.5M (vesting) or $2.5M buyout - 36

He's a RF now, headed for LF in about 2 years. His first 3 years are OK, the last 2-3 are going to suck. No thanks.

Oh yeah, last 3 years games played: 139, 135, 149 (gets dinged up a lot)

and the real killer of all: lifetime vs LHP: .238/.296/.352 80 OPS+; so he's a platoon hitter, great against RHP, and replacement vs LHP.

STAY FAR FAR AWAY!

6/27/09: “We expect [Rondo] to play by the rules and be a leader as a point guard. We need him to be more of a leader,” Ainge said. “There were just a couple situations where he was late this year, I don’t know if he was sitting in his car, but showed up late and the rest of the team was there. We have team rules and you have to be on time. He was fined for being late, he said he was stuck in traffic, and it’s just unacceptable.”

Some jerks never learn.....

vCash
    you have got to be out of your mind! Why should we ever do this? If we wanted to spend the money we would have signed Hamilton

vCash
    You a crazy fool we better get magics cure for AIDS in that deal

vCash

Red Sox might not trade Ellsbury, might be leaning towards taking pick

I think if they are going to trade him, as mentioned a few times, they'll wait and let him gain some value. If he plays well enough to warrant big attention and the six aren't playoff bound the best opportunities will present themselves. Teams interested in acquiring him via free agency might try to jump the line and make a deal for them in an attempt to work out an extension with him before the season ends and free agency opens allowing them to beat the rest of the market to signing him. This all kind of relies on Ells playing well but if he does some team out their with money and a contending team may be willing to send a nice package are way just for those few months of exclusive negotiations where they can try and blow him away before the market gets to him and adds millions to his yearly salary

vCash
    i say we resign the guy. He's the best CF in the market next offseason. Probably the best OF in the market. Unless we plan on Nelson Cruz and moving SV back to CF.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast