Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by oshman800 View Post
    That's my point...SA has $20+m to spend...enough for one or two FA outfielders or a salary dumpee plus a back of rotation SP to eat some innings in case Mejia and Familia aren't ready and some veteran relievers.
    Bob
    Met fan since 1969

vCash
    Next year is a lost season. No need to spend money on someone who won't be around and effective in 2015.

I know it doesn't make financial sense but I'd rather they just pay Bay whatever they owe him now. I don't want to hear at the summer meetings in 2014 that we signed some bum instead of a star because they are still paying Bay

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Larry M View Post
    Next year is a lost season. No need to spend money on someone who won't be around and effective in 2015.

I know it doesn't make financial sense but I'd rather they just pay Bay whatever they owe him now. I don't want to hear at the summer meetings in 2014 that we signed some bum instead of a star because they are still paying Bay
    Spreading out his payments over two or three years means signing a better player now. We could afford Bourn for a four year $42m contract with a fifth year option/buyout.....$10m/15/15/10/2 so he gets the $13m average that outfielders have been signing for so far.....nobody is jumping to lock a 30 year old speedster for five years.....if he slows down in year 4 his value drops a lot...by that time Nimmo should be ready. I don't want to sign stopgap guys if we could add a core player...Bourn could be that guy.
    Bob
    Met fan since 1969

vCash
    SA says Liriano is on his list of Starting Pitchers to potentially bring in..

per Metsblog

What would you guys think? Can we trust him to be decent?
    #oneatatime

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by rpagz3 View Post
    SA says Liriano is on his list of Starting Pitchers to potentially bring in..

per Metsblog

What would you guys think? Can we trust him to be decent?
    Absolutely not, but I'd still take a gamble. Maybe Johan can rub some fairy dust on him.

vCash
    Grady Sizemore would be worth a look, he is a lefty but can play any outfield spot and still has some pop in his bat. Plus hitting in the NL and not playing everyday should keep him on the field. He wount cost much either. Soiriano 10 mill over two years cubs will eat the rest but we would have to give them some mid low level prospects. I might just be crazy but what about Delmon Young or Jason Kubel

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by KingsCountyNY View Post
    Grady Sizemore would be worth a look, he is a lefty but can play any outfield spot and still has some pop in his bat. Plus hitting in the NL and not playing everyday should keep him on the field. He wount cost much either. Soiriano 10 mill over two years cubs will eat the rest but we would have to give them some mid low level prospects. I might just be crazy but what about Delmon Young or Jason Kubel
    i really don't see why not. with the team we have now, i don't know if 70 wins will even be possible, thats just inexcusable.
    This is just the beginning. Let's keep it up. History is bound to repeat itself. Let's hope that this time it's for the best.

vCash
    You have roughly $30 million committed to payroll next year. Is it really a secret? If the rotation keeps performing well, and the lineup improves, which it should, expect one or two big signings next off season. Once the Mets show they are close to competing, checkbooks will open up.
    FC Bayern Munchen

New York Yankees

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Santana4Prez'08 View Post
    i really don't see why not. with the team we have now, i don't know if 70 wins will even be possible, thats just inexcusable.
    Fingers are crossed we lose a lot next year.

I'd like the 1st overall pick in the 2014 draft. Who knows maybe there will be a Bryce Harper or Strasburg who will be MLB ready

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by KingsCountyNY View Post
    If SA is gonna try to catch lightning in a bottle than he could go for Sizemore, Liriano, Webb and hope two of them return to form. If Chicago is serious about paying 26 of the 36 owed Soriano, as I have written a few times before here, why the hell not?
    Bob
    Met fan since 1969

vCash
    the goal for 2014 is too have wright and 24 minimum salary guys

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by rdg515 View Post
    If SA is gonna try to catch lightning in a bottle than he could go for Sizemore, Liriano, Webb and hope two of them return to form. If Chicago is serious about paying 26 of the 36 owed Soriano, as I have written a few times before here, why the hell not?
    Might as well rename the team NY Sanitation Dept...we take everyone's trash

Ironically I do agree with you

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Larry M View Post
    Might as well rename the team NY Sanitation Dept...we take everyone's trash

Ironically I do agree with you
    John Franco would be thrilled. Point is there are always retreads and former starters that were hurt for a few years and guys with evolving trick pitches [see RA Dickey, January 2010] that are worth signing to minor league or make good contracts. If they succeed you got a bargain...if not you dump them. And if they succeed but the team fizzles you have trade bait. I.e. - WAS signed Matt Capps off the scrap heap, he became their closer in 2010, then flipped him even up for Wilson Ramos, their catcher of the future, at the ASB.
    Bob
    Met fan since 1969

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by rdg515 View Post
    John Franco would be thrilled. Point is there are always retreads and former starters that were hurt for a few years and guys with evolving trick pitches [see RA Dickey, January 2010] that are worth signing to minor league or make good contracts. If they succeed you got a bargain...if not you dump them. And if they succeed but the team fizzles you have trade bait. I.e. - WAS signed Matt Capps off the scrap heap, he became their closer in 2010, then flipped him even up for Wilson Ramos, their catcher of the future, at the ASB.
    This...For the Mets there is nothing to lose by signing guys like Sizemore, Kazmir, Wong and other high upside guys that have fallen from their previous greatness. Guys like that are still young enough to get it back. Therefore offer as many of these guys a one year contract with a team option as possible. One of them is bound to workout and if not you still atleast create a small buzz.

Presenting the 2013 New York Mets Outfield.

vCash
    I really dislike the polls on "Are the Mets headed in right direction"! I can't say yes when I know the team is extremely limited to money constraints caused by outside problems. We should be a huge cash cow with or without a winning team. I don't believe we're headed in the wrong direction. Obviously SA in overhauling the entire organization by stockpiling prospects. But we should NEVER be hindered by money constraints.

If we want to get Cody Ross, Scott Harison and relievers to go into 2013, we should be able to at a snap of a finger. Currently we're nickel and diming the issue and it appears any of these acquisitions could put us over budget. Over budget would be giving Hamilton 25 mil a year for 5 yrs. I struggle with.. "are we going in the right direction".
    " You seek Yoda!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12