Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    vCash

Boycot the Astros

I'm a Hispanic and I will say that the signing of Pena didn't have any impact on how I felt about the acquisition. I didn't cheer because they signed a Hispanic and I'm sure a lot of other Hispanics can argue the same sentiment.

I'm glad we didn't sign Berkman! Are we the only team in the AL that needs a DH? There is a reason he isn't on a roster right now. He had health concerns that aren't worth the risk to signing him to a new deal.

I may not be too ecstatic about the ML level if talent but players like Singleton, Springer, Cosart among a few players in our farm system have me excited in the direction we're going.

vCash
    I think it is unfair to call Crane cheap when he hasn't had a chance to sign anybody. From day one, Crane said they were building this team through the farm and baseball isn't like basketball where you get 2 big contracts and win, you have to start from the bottom up and sign the missing piece when you are ready.

vCash
    One reason a boycot won't work is baseball is different things to different people. Out of the 19,000 fans a night who went to game last season there probably weren't but 6,000 or so who are hardcore fans who care about the quality of the product on the field. Most people go to games just for a night out.

It's true the Astros probably drove away another 10,000 true baseball fans by blowing up the team, but as long as there are 1.6 million "enablers" out there the math works for what the team is doing. If they got attendance up to 3 million it would only be worth another $44 million and they are saving $70 million or more by putting a AAA team on the field and charging fans to see major league baseball.

The danger, though, for the Astros is there is no guarantee the youth movement is going to work anytime soon. In fact, the players the Astros have traded for aren't that impressive. Time and again they traded major league talent not for other team's best prospects but for players who might make the majors but probably won't contribute all that much. Hard as it is to imagine, things could actually get even worse than last year. In that case the brand is damaged, TV revenues will decline, and attendance might bottom out around 1.3 million.

What I really dislike about the Astros approach is the assumption there was no alternative. Not every veteran should have been kept, but intelligent decisions could have been made which would have lessened the payroll but kept a reasonable core. The road back would have been shorter and fans wouldn't have been ripped off. To pretend there is a baseball reason for the fire sale is just not reasonable. The most logical reason was simply to allow an underfunded new owner who was willing to move to the American League to get the team on the cheap.

Bottom line, there won't be an organized boycot, but there's a good chance ownership will drive away even more fans not just in 2013 but for years to come by putting an inferior product on the field.

vCash
    I think it was a rumor but I read that they're changing the center field hill/pole.

Any truth?

vCash
    Berkman has already said he doesnt want to sign with the stros because it is a completley different team than when he left. He will more than likely call it quits and take some sort of coaching job at Rice.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by The 6-4-3 View Post
    I think it was a rumor but I read that they're changing the center field hill/pole.

Any truth?
    They need to before someone dies lol.

vCash
    they didn't sign pena because he's hispanic. they signed him for veteran leadership, defense at first base (im not so sure hes just going to DH), power (had 19 HR despite playing in TB which surpresses power. 2 years ago in CHI, similar park factors to houston, he had like 28), and OBP. despite having a horrendous average, his OBP is still pretty good.
    The Most Epic Thread EVER
    Quote Originally Posted by dbroncos78087 View Post
    Yea what is he thinking not wanting to drive next to or near drunk people. I have never met a more sheltered scaredy cat. As a hobby i find 10-15 homeless guys and give them lots of alcohol and play bumper cars all day but im normal.

vCash
    Berkman signs with the Rangers. I bet he doesn't play 50 games.

vCash
    The excuses people make for Jim Crane are more or less the same ones some have been making for the Wilpons in New York. At this point most Mets fans are no longer buying them.

A good rule of thumb to remember when you're dealing with a suit who has a reputation for crookedness: any extra money they make or save from running a sports franchise goes directly into their pocket. The cable TV situation there is unbelievable, but if Crane manages to extort money from basic cable subscribers all over the region, he'll probably do a Wilpon and stick it right into his pocket.

He's doing just fine not spending any money. No way to lose with a payroll of $20 million.

Wilpon, Loria, Crane... Bud Selig has unleashed a whole rogues gallery of villains and enabled them to make piles of money by ruining franchises all over North America. The Selig legacy.

It's sad.

vCash
    The Stros? Why? They actually have a detailed plan to return to contention, which includes tanking hard.

vCash
    Just give it some time.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12