Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    vCash

Boycot the Astros

I hate the way the organization is going... I can't believe they signed Pena over Lance Berkman. It is obvious to me this team has no desire to win anymore. They are cheap af and I just can't handle it anymore. I will not purchase any Astros gear, go to games, or even support them. I suggest a lot of bashing on their Instagram, Facebook, and team website. This ****'s ridiculous. I never thought I'd ever say I miss Drayton but I do...

vCash
    Well as of right now the Astros were the only team showing any interest in Berkman. I think Berkman is going to retire due to his knee. I'm not being sarcastic when I write these next few sentences. How many more wins would Berkman have gotten us rather than Pena? If Berkman were to succeed and hit really well would you have wanted to trade him to a contender again? At least with Pena, if he over achieves he is easier to cut loose with our fan base. The Astros front office has made it perfectly clear they are not looking to win the world series in 2013. If you are just upset that they signed Pena over Berkman, who probably won't even play, you need to get over it.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by tr3ymill3r View Post
    Well as of right now the Astros were the only team showing any interest in Berkman. I think Berkman is going to retire due to his knee. I'm not being sarcastic when I write these next few sentences. How many more wins would Berkman have gotten us rather than Pena? If Berkman were to succeed and hit really well would you have wanted to trade him to a contender again? At least with Pena, if he over achieves he is easier to cut loose with our fan base. The Astros front office has made it perfectly clear they are not looking to win the world series in 2013. If you are just upset that they signed Pena over Berkman, who probably won't even play, you need to get over it.
    I really don't think he'd get much wins at all but Pena blows and all this team is trying to do is sell to the hispanic race. They did half of Pena's press conference in spanish the other day. I'm not saying Berkman is better but he's always been a fan favorite in Houston. I'd rather see a JV squad with him on the team instead of that piece of **** Pena. We are extremely cheap, look at the contracts we have. I am over it and I'm no longer supporting this team.

vCash
    If you're upset about the way the Astros organization is handling business even after seeing the rapid turnaround in farm system quality, then I'm fine with you not being a baseball fan in general.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sssmush View Post
    no offense but the Spurs are freakin' communists bro. They should get with Stern's capitalist agenda like NOW

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Giraffes Rule View Post
    If you're upset about the way the Astros organization is handling business even after seeing the rapid turnaround in farm system quality, then I'm fine with you not being a baseball fan in general.
    I'm a fan of our GM but our owners obviously a cheap *** who doesn't give him money to play ball, yes we have a good farm system but we are extremely cheap. I'm happy with the way our organization is headed but I am totally disappointing in the way our major league team is being strung together. It's obvious that they are just trying to sell to the latino community in Houston and winning over 50 games is not important. I'm just upset with our budget, the move to the AL West, and Jim Crane.

vCash
    Why are we going to spend a ton of money on a team that is retooling. If we were a piece or two away from contending then I would be quite upset that we weren't spending the money. You are the type of financially irresponsible person that has gotten America in trouble. What type of players are out there that you would want to throw money at to make this team better?

Please think of this as a business for a second and not a game. Based on your sig, I imagine I'm speaking with a 12 year old, but I'll give it my best shot. Let's try something easy and basic for you....Apple Computers.

When Apple first started with it's Macs they were not a billion dollar company. When the stock first went public in 1984 it was $3.83 a share and it actually fell to $1.81. Now just imagine if you would have bought just 100 shares, because as I type this it is currently sitting at $526.31. Apple had to first start with Macs and then they developed into Ipods and Ipads. I hope this has not only opened your eyes, but also given you a good economics lesson as well.

You're welcome.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by tr3ymill3r View Post
    Why are we going to spend a ton of money on a team that is retooling. If we were a piece or two away from contending then I would be quite upset that we weren't spending the money. You are the type of financially irresponsible person that has gotten America in trouble. What type of players are out there that you would want to throw money at to make this team better?

Please think of this as a business for a second and not a game. Based on your sig, I imagine I'm speaking with a 12 year old, but I'll give it my best shot. Let's try something easy and basic for you....Apple Computers.

When Apple first started with it's Macs they were not a billion dollar company. When the stock first went public in 1984 it was $3.83 a share and it actually fell to $1.81. Now just imagine if you would have bought just 100 shares, because as I type this it is currently sitting at $526.31. Apple had to first start with Macs and then they developed into Ipods and Ipads. I hope this has not only opened your eyes, but also given you a good economics lesson as well.

You're welcome.
    I'm 20 man, and I'm guessing you really don't keep up with the Astros or understand what I'm saying either. I really don't expect a ton of acquisitions, I just thought it would be really nice to have Berkman come back and be our DH in the American League since he's a hometown favorite is all, and I really feel the only reason they signed Pena is to sell to the hispanics in Houston. I understand that it takes a few years to rebuild but on the MLB level the owner does not want to even bring a few decent guys in but he still expects to sell $38 tickets at home games. I just see him as a business man and I don't like it. I really think Luhnow has done an awesome job so far.

vCash

Re:

There is absolutely NO reason to be spending $8 million on Berkman or more (thats around the amount he would probably want) when he would probably get hurt due to his knees, and not even play 50 games. Berkman is done! I love him but as a hitter youre kneees and being able to rotate are vital. As an ex-college baseball player I love what our management and owner are doing. Our GM would go spend millions if he thought we had a chance to compete, which we don't!. We will be able to compete in 2014 and beyond. Putting a good baseball team on the field requires patience unless you're the Yanks, Sox, or 1 of the LA teams. Besides, starting pitching is the most IMPORTANT part to having a successful team, not a great hitter. We're still 2-3 years away from possibly having an ace or a few #2s and #3s

vCash
    Lance Berkman? His career is over.

vCash
    I hear what you guys are saying about not liking the signing of Pena, but to be honest its all we are going to get. No top FA is going to want to come to a city that doesn't compete and will not compete for a while. In that case we are going to only get guys in the twilight of there career or guys that would not make an impact on many teams. I also by any means DO NOT want Berkman. Yes I liked the Puma when he was with us but that was ages ago.

To move along to to the minor league system. I found this article and its a nice read they are very generous to our system. We do have a couple of guys that may turn out to be good major league players, but then again its always a gamble in the end with any minor league players. I like the combo of speed and power that George Springer and I hope to see him up in the next 2 years. Singleton is also a player that hits for good power, but is still a ways off. http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?...r_hou&c_id=hou

For the original poster David Dullati (spelling) does give the Astros a hard time on the radio quite a bit. He is on 97.5 doing little Houston team sports highlights like commercials and last week he was really blasting the Astros organization. This team is probably going to lose over 100 games for the next two season so yes 4 seasons in a row of emberrassing mlb play is not good, but at least there will be moving in a better direction. There is new management in place and even though they are doing everything, but trying to put a MLB team together they are doing better with there minor league system.

On the bright side we have to raise payroll because under the CBA the league minimum will be $490,000. That means about 30 guys will get a payincreas of 10K.
    http://www.logo-designer.co/wp-content/uploads/2013/09/Real-Madrid-football-club-logo-design-branding-identity-Ruben-Ferlo.jpg

vCash
    It seems like the Astros arent really rebuilding or trying to contend. They have pretty much no star talent unless Jed Lowrie is better than he was with the Sox as he seems to be the only positive thing I hear about them

The only way to get things started from nothing is to build through the draft, maybe sign some FA that you can flip to a contender at the deadline but Pena is the worst option for that. I almost expect him to sign in Japan next year if he cant turn things around. He was BAD last year. I would rather take my chances on Brett Wallace personally

vCash
    So are you just wanting us to boycott the Astros because they didn't sign Berkman, a guy who can't play anymore or would have been signed by someone else if they thought so, who is probably going to retire, BERKMAN? Your thread creating rights have been revoked.

vCash
    To say Crane is being cheap is a bit unfair. Yes, the Astros payroll will be low this year, but he went over slot to sign Lance McCullers and Rio Ruiz. He is using the money he has to replenish the farm system that was left completely barren by Drayton McLane. Considering the Astros went from having the worst, overall, record in 2011 from their minor league teams to having the best, overall, record in 2012 is a testament to Luhnow's ability to recognize young talent and Crane's committment to spend on minor league players. There is no need to speed lavishly on the Astros right now as they are not going to contend for a couple of years. Now, one the Astros start improving, where they can compete in the division, then I will expect Crane to spend on free agency.

vCash
    DeShields didn't even want to come back and announce lol.

I just don't like what we are doing at all, it's not only about Berkman so if your trying to just diss me on that get over it. I really just don't like the personalities we are bringing to our club. I'm used to having a mixed group of players and now it seems we just want to sell to the latino group, if these spanish press conferences continue on english networks I'll be extremely upset. I am not racist one bit but in my opinion it's obvious that he just thinks that we suck so mine as well put a team of latin players together which can sell to a town with a majority of latino population. In the past it's been a mix and I've really liked that. I really felt that Brad Mills wasn't gave enough time either. It's not his fault he couldn't do anything with that garbage payroll let him work the younger guys.

vCash
    When you state you aren't a racist then bring of the past about a mix? Are you serious? At one point it was joked that the Astros only signed Preston Wilson because they were considered MLB racists. Brad Mills lacked any fire to get these young guys motivated and playing to their potential. I know you're a fan, I can tell by the way you write, but by being a fan and that close you can't always see the big picture. I was the same way when I was 20, I've grown and matured and learned that while it is a game that grown men play, it is still a business and must be run as so.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast