Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    vCash

Adam Rubin: Tweets from Sandy's Conference Call

@AdamRubinESPN
    Alderson begins apologizing to writers, thanking Dickey. "The final chapter has not been written, but it has been an extraordinary career."

@AdamRubinESPN
    Alderson said difficult call if presented with R.A. at Mets' number or this package. But said genuine interest to retain Dickey.

@AdamRubinESPN
    "We do expect to do some other things. We do expect to acquire some other players. ... We're certainly not punting on 2013."

@AdamRubinESPN
    Toronto initially expressed interest a week before winter meetings.

@AdamRubinESPN
    Alderson said by Tuesday or Wednesday of last week, final structure of players in deal was put in place.

@AdamRubinESPN
    "The decision to trade R.A. was not made until we understand what the final deal would be with Toronto."

‏@AdamRubinESPN
    Sandy told d'Arnaud he would come to camp and see what happens. "But Travis is very close to the major leagues."

@AdamRubinESPN
    D'Arnaud did not have surgery for ligament tear in knee. Not standard protocol. Wasn't complete tear. Was examined by Mets doctors.

@AdamRubinESPN
    "We very d'Arnaud, and I believe the industry views Travis, as the top catching prospect in the game" ... and closest to major league ready.

@AdamRubinESPN
    "Noah is a very high ceilling power pitching. He's further away, obviously, having just pitched in low-A last year." ETA not soon.

@AdamRubinESPN
    "This means nothing about the Mets' finances. This was a baseball decision. ... We did prefer at the outset to sign him."

@AdamRubinESPN
    Alderson: It also became clear in a hot market for pitching his value in a trade was also skyrocketing.

@AdamRubinESPN
    "Were we not able to get the quality in return ... I expect R.A. would have remained a Met."

@AdamRubinESPN
    "We're not going to replace him with a No. 1 starter in return, but we're going to have to find someone to give us some of those wins."

@AdamRubinESPN
    "I recognize this is an entertainment business and it was great to have R.A. here." Yet felt long term this was right thing to do.

‏@AdamRubinESPN
    Mets will acquire someone in rotation to whom they will commit a starting role. (Not someone to compete with Mejia.)

@AdamRubinESPN
    On catching, Alderson said he would find additional catching, for depth if nothing else.

@AdamRubinESPN
    Have been talking with free-agent outfielders and with teams about trades. "there's a long time between now and the beginning of february."

@AdamRubinESPN
    Jays say R.A. Dickey will not be available tonight.

@AdamRubinESPN
    Toronto GM said he first approached Sandy at GM meetings, but first attempt at deal was week before winter meetings.

@AdamRubinESPN
    Alex Anthopolous: "It looked dead at the winter meetings."

@AdamRubinESPN
    Toronto GM agreed to deal Thursday afternoon.

@AdamRubinESPN
    AA: "D'Arnaud was made available for quite some time in this deal, but it didn't really go somewhere."

@AdamRubinESPN
    Toronto GM: Noah Syndergaard pushed over finish line.

@AdamRubinESPN
    AA: "I think it comes down to how you evaluate R.A. I think that's going to define how you evaluate this trade for us."

‏@AdamRubinESPN
    AA: "We just felt we were so close to contention, this is a deal we had to make."

‏@AdamRubinESPN
    AA: d'Arnaud on table for 10 days. Sandy had leverage because had option to keep Dickey.

@AdamRubinESPN
    AA also said in Halladay trade talks he didn't want 1 premium prospect back. Wanted at least 2. So he understands Alderson perspective.

‏@AdamRubinESPN
    AA asked Alderson the extension $ Dickey was seeking. AA said the number was reasonable enough. He would have walked away if not.

‏@AdamRubinESPN
    First conversation between R.A. and AA (as well as John Gibbons) was in Nashville Saturday afternoon.

‏@AdamRubinESPN
    Window from league to negotiate extension was approved by MLB on Saturday afternoon.

@AdamRubinESPN
    Financial deal between Dickey's agent and Jays was done at 6 p.m. Sunday.

@AdamRubinESPN
    John Buck needed to be in deal because Jays at their financial limit. Toronto needed Mets to take the $6M. That's why Thole a Jay.

@AdamRubinESPN
    He said not a big deal because package finalized Thursday. // RT @feeger: Did you ask AA if he was bothered by all the leaks you guys had?

@AdamRubinESPN
    AA did add that Thole and Nickeas catching R.A. was big factor. AA watched knuckleball documentary and didn't want catcher struggling.

@AdamRubinESPN
    AA said he didn't see AL East ripe for taking with Yankees and Red Sox having issues. "Those two teams can always contend."
    Last edited by Sick Of It All; 12-17-2012 at 07:40 PM.

vCash
    So there's only one thing I learned from this that's new. When they initially reported that Mejia was taking Dickey's spot, they weren't serious. Rubin didn't cover it as well, but basically it looks like we're in the market for a pitcher that can get 10-12 wins. I like Mejia, but I think this is the right move, we need a guy that can throw some guaranteed innings.

It was mentioned we are looking for a guy like Chris Capuano. So I assume we will want a guy that has had issues in the past, was good at one point, and we will need him to start games until June and then be ready to move to the pen when Wheeler gets called up.

Was wondering who you guys thought might be available that fits that description in FA?

vCash
    Chris Young will resign.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sick Of It All View Post
    Chris Young will resign.
    I hope not. Is that your opinion? We should go after Liriano.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by yfern328 View Post
    So there's only one thing I learned from this that's new. When they initially reported that Mejia was taking Dickey's spot, they weren't serious. Rubin didn't cover it as well, but basically it looks like we're in the market for a pitcher that can get 10-12 wins. I like Mejia, but I think this is the right move, we need a guy that can throw some guaranteed innings.

It was mentioned we are looking for a guy like Chris Capuano. So I assume we will want a guy that has had issues in the past, was good at one point, and we will need him to start games until June and then be ready to move to the pen when Wheeler gets called up.

Was wondering who you guys thought might be available that fits that description in FA?
    The first person that comes to mind is Chris Capuano. (LOL) Dodgers have indicated that he is available, but his backloaded contract would cost $6 million for 2013 plus a $1 million buyout of a $6 million option for 2014.

In free agency, I see Jair Jurrjens and Dallas Braden as low risk possibilities, if signed to relatively low base salaries with incentives for starts or innings pitched. Also, resigning Chris Young is a viable option. Another year removed from surgery should make him even better than he was last year.
    Former B'klyn Dodger fan. Mets Maniac since 1962.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by YoungStuna28 View Post
    I hope not. Is that your opinion? We should go after Liriano.
    We'll go dumpster diving and sign someone who blew out both of his knees and shoulder, and we'll sign a minor league has been who hit 10 homers in triple A and Sandy will say that this is proof that we are not punting 2013. Liriano will be signed by a team for a contract that is pretty reasonable, and Sandy will say that he would have asked for too much. Quote me.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sick Of It All View Post
    Chris Young will resign.
    Ya think?

"You don't know how to drink. Your whole generation, you drink for the wrong reasons. My generation, we drink because it's good, because it feels better than unbuttoning your collar, because we deserve it. We drink because it's what men do."

vCash
    Jair Jurrjens is someone I wouldn't mind near the back end.

vCash
    I like Young. Hope he's back. Dont see whats the big deal we give him a minor league deal or close to it and he pitched really solid when he is healthy...then he gets hurt and someone fills in. Whats so bad about that?

vCash
    Again, I think a big factor we will look at is a guy's ability to start for half the season and then move to the pen.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by yfern328 View Post
    Again, I think a big factor we will look at is a guy's ability to start for half the season and then move to the pen.
    Why not get someone who can fill the spot for the entire year. I love the idea of having six really good starting pitchers more than I do Four good pitchers,with one decent guy who can't stay healthy and has to be replaced by someone who has a lot of potential but is not ready.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MLB2K10King View Post
    Why not get someone who can fill the spot for the entire year. I love the idea of having six really good starting pitchers more than I do Four good pitchers,with one decent guy who can't stay healthy and has to be replaced by someone who has a lot of potential but is not ready.
    I think he is saying you could bring up Wheeler and move the guy he is talking about to the pen.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by metsbulls1025 View Post
    I think he is saying you could bring up Wheeler and move the guy he is talking about to the pen.
    I get what he's saying, but my big concern with this team is that Sandy seems to be building up this great hope in the farm system. We have a lot of potential but prospects are not garuntee'd to pan out. Look at Alex Escobar, Fernando martinezv or Justin Huber. And If they do pan out you still need a few solid pieces already there. We don't have enough of those and Sandy has yet to show me that he is willing to invest in those pieces

vCash
    i would think putting loriano back together with santana would be good. i also read in these tweets that SA is looking at TRADES and FA for outfielders
    if u like mixed martial arts check out the psd mma forum

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MLB2K10King View Post
    I get what he's saying, but my big concern with this team is that Sandy seems to be building up this great hope in the farm system. We have a lot of potential but prospects are not garuntee'd to pan out. Look at Alex Escobar, Fernando martinezv or Justin Huber. And If they do pan out you still need a few solid pieces already there. We don't have enough of those and Sandy has yet to show me that he is willing to invest in those pieces
    But right now we have 4 starters and a hole. If you bring in someone as a stop gap until the break, bring up Harvey, and then move that guy to the pen.

We won't be getting a super star pitcher this year. Regardless of the money situation there just wasn't anyone available after Greinke.

As long as Niese, Gee, and Harvey keep getting better we will be fine.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast