Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kevin Correia

vCash

Kevin Correia

The Correia signing seems to be finding it's way into a bunch of different threads. Comment or don't; whatever. I'm already jaded, sorry for the tone.

The worst part about this deal is, unlike Marquis, with that 2nd year attached to Correia, no way will the Twins DFA him in June if he's getting lit up and a minor leaguer is kicking down the door ready for his chance. He's probably untradeable as well unless the Twins eat most of his contract.

So the rotation thus far: Worley, Diamond, Correia, Hendriks, Gibson. Assuming the Twins DO sign another FA starter, Hendricks or Gibson are starting in Rochester or the pen. What happens if everyone stays healthy and the odd man out pitches lights out and deserves a rotation spot? Do the Twins really have it in them to toss their new $10 million starter in the bullpen that quickly? Doubt it. No move would have been better than this move.

Of course my second biggest issue with the signing is that he's and extreme ground ball pitcher who can't strike anyone out and has a terrible defense behind him. Someone did remind me that the Tigers infield defense is worse, of couse they have four guys in the roation with a K/9 +7.5. The Twins have a poor defense and already had the worst K/9 in the league.

I wasn't expecting much in 2013, but this pitcher is not a match for this team. After the excitement of the return Terry Ryan got for Ben Revere, I guess I was expecting smarter moves. Correia is a replacement level pitcher, Ryan could have had his pick of guys just as (in)effective come January or February and none of them would have required a two year deal. I would have even prefered a guy like Carl Pavano, who would have had no illusions of getting a two-year deal and has at least shown the ability to pitch in the AL.

Ryan's evaluation of pitchers remains poor as it always has been. I don't want to sound like a *******, but when this team finally has the young prospects up, and is looking for the complimentary pieces needed to compete in two years and beyond, I don't trust Ryan to make the right decisions. His track record with starting pitchers is beyond dreadful and this signing just highlights that he hasn't learned from past mistakes.
    Last edited by nicksaviking; 12-11-2012 at 11:06 AM.

vCash
    Hopefully he does decent enough so we can move him at the trade deadline and get back some "ho hum" prospects. I believe thats Correia's ceiling for us.

vCash
    are we automatically assuming Blackburn is elsewhere? I mean I know he's not exactly been deserving of a spot.........but he hasn't worked in the pen either
    gotta love 'referential' treatment

vCash
    Our defense will be the key to how Correia does for us. If our defense does well behind him, he'll probably end up with an E.R.A. around 4 and be somewhat effective. But a guy that pitches like him can't do much better then that. 89 strikeouts in 117 innings last year
    M.V.P.

Have Twitter? Follow me for everything sports! I'll follow back too if you tell me you're from this website!
    Just Click The Link---->@SportsGuy218

vCash
    I wouldn't hold your breath. He has only once had an ERA below 4.00 as full time starter. He hasn't had an ERA Plus above 100 in six years which means he's isn't close to a league average pitcher. This is a guy who the Pittsburgh Pirates found unfit for the rotation last year as he was demoted to their pen. Yes, those Pittsburgh Pirates.

vCash
    very meh signing better than what we would toss out there but coulda done much better

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by nicksaviking View Post
    I wouldn't hold your breath. He has only once had an ERA below 4.00 as full time starter. He hasn't had an ERA Plus above 100 in six years which means he's isn't close to a league average pitcher. This is a guy who the Pittsburgh Pirates found unfit for the rotation last year as he was demoted to their pen. Yes, those Pittsburgh Pirates.
    I'm not holding my breath over it...our defense is bad. And I believe he had some health issues last year too didn't he? Not sure on that though
    M.V.P.

Have Twitter? Follow me for everything sports! I'll follow back too if you tell me you're from this website!
    Just Click The Link---->@SportsGuy218

vCash
    What about bring back, Kyle Lohse, I think he will be productive for us, I mean just for a little bit

vCash
    He's an interesting name, tho I think he is probably looking to cash in on a longterm deal. I'd be interested in a 1 or 2 year deal for sure tho...

vCash
    Lohse is a free agent? That would be a great pickup, though I think some people would be unhappy with the signing because he pitched recently in the NL (sarcasm).

How is this guy not talked about more this offseason around the league? He was tremendous last year, and was very good the season before as well.

vCash
    Most projections I saw for Lohse expect him to get about $60 million over 4 years. I don't see the Twins chasing that, especially with his inconsistant track record. He probably also burned some bridges here after his assault of Gardy's doorknob.

vCash
    Yes, But we do have some competition on getting him, I heard that the red sox are in on him too, but they have been linked to alot of other pitchers so that gives us an edge, If we choose to go after him

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by nicksaviking View Post
    Most projections I saw for Lohse expect him to get about $60 million over 4 years. I don't see the Twins chasing that, especially with his inconsistant track record. He probably also burned some bridges here after his assault of Gardy's doorknob.
    Sorry what did he to gardy's doorknob?

vCash
    He took a baseball bat to it. Then was promptly traded. Lohse did not get along with the coaching staff at all. He's a hot head.

vCash
    Maybe he's mellowed?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast