Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

View Poll Results: Who Will Start For Opening Day?

Voters
91. You may not vote on this poll
  • R.A. Dickey

69 75.82%
  • Brandon Morrow

16 17.58%
  • Josh Johnson

5 5.49%
  • Rickey Romero

1 1.10%
  • Mark Beuhrle

0 0%
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast
    vCash
    Dickey
    Morrow
    Buehrle
    Johnson
    Romero

vCash
    morrow has the best stuff

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by rockbottom2010 View Post
    morrow has the best stuff
    Does that really matter though?

I mean when Halladay was here it's not like A.J. Burnett was the opener, although he had better "stuff"..

vCash
    Guys again...its as much politics as it is talent. They want to re-sign Johnson, there is no chance he is pitching lower than 3rd in the rotation. If they are serious about re-signing him, then they need him up there at 2 or 3 at the most.

And honestly too much is being made about the rotation, every guy pitches every 5th day -- if all of them stayed healthy the whole year, only the #1 and #2 guy would get an extra start, which is not going to make a huge amount of difference in the long-term.

Plus, the rotation always gets re-set after the All Star Break, if Morrow really is the #1 guy, then he'll be doing so at that point (likewise with any guy).

Go: Dickey, Johnson, Buehrle, Morrow, Romero (who has to prove he is even worthy of being in the rotation)
    Last edited by Sanyo; 12-18-2012 at 12:15 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by lmallia View Post

I mean when Halladay was here it's not like A.J. Burnett was the opener, although he had better "stuff"..
    No...no he didn't.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by lmallia View Post

are u kidding me...halladay had the best stuff......this is a joke

vCash
    Watching sport centre and they had the projected rotation as Dickey Johnson Buerhle as the first 3 guys I think that's what it should be then you can debate between who should be slotted in the fifth spot between Romero and Morrow

vCash
    are u kidding me...halladay had the best stuff......this is a joke
    I'm not sure I disagree with him that much, I think Halladay vs Burnett purely based on "stuff" was actually pretty close. Halladay was the much better all-aroud pitcher, but a lot of his success came from being so consistent at hitting his spots and mixing his speeds/pitches.

Burnett was very inconsistent, but when on, he had an electric heater that he could spot anywhere, mixed with a devastating curve. Few pitchers in baseball could match Burnett's stuff when his stuff was actually working for him. We all know how amazing and consistent Doc was but Burnett could be crazy dominant at times.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by heusy_79 View Post
    I'm not sure I disagree with him that much, I think Halladay vs Burnett purely based on "stuff" was actually pretty close. Halladay was the much better all-aroud pitcher, but a lot of his success came from being so consistent at hitting his spots and mixing his speeds/pitches.

Burnett was very inconsistent, but when on, he had an electric heater that he could spot anywhere, mixed with a devastating curve. Few pitchers in baseball could match Burnett's stuff when his stuff was actually working for him. We all know how amazing and consistent Doc was but Burnett could be crazy dominant at times.
    halladay was the best pitcher at that time....and he was the best pitcher for a while...he was considered a true ace...when aj was a marlin...his fastball was dynamite...however he would blow his arm

vCash
    hands down its dickey.. cy young winner the previous year so he has earned the right to pitch on opening day..plus i don't think any SP would be against that.. had he not won then i would have said morrow..he was jays best pitcher last year. Better question would be who do you want to throw the first pitch i would say bring halladay back just for that loll

vCash
    First 3 Games vs. Clev:

Dickey
    Johnson
    Buerhle

Next 3 Games vs. Bos:

Morrow
    Romero
    Dickey

Next 3 Games at Detroit:

Johnson
    Buerhle
    Morrow

It's actually quite fun to think about. I love having this many quality starters to throw at other teams.

vCash
    halladay was the best pitcher at that time....and he was the best pitcher for a while...he was considered a true ace...when aj was a marlin...his fastball was dynamite...however he would blow his arm
    You're not reading what he wrote. He's not saying Burnett was a better pitcher (No one would say that), he is saying that as far as pure 'stuff' goes, Burnett has the better FB, Curve and such. I'm not 100% sure I agree, but I do think an argument could be made.

There is a whole lot more to being a good pitcher than just sometimes having an overpowering fastball or a devastating curve. Doc has all the intangibles along with great pitches to make him the superstar he is. Burnett is a prime example that talent alone is not enough.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Korac View Post
    You're not reading what he wrote. He's not saying Burnett was a better pitcher (No one would say that), he is saying that as far as pure 'stuff' goes, Burnett has the better FB, Curve and such. I'm not 100% sure I agree, but I do think an argument could be made.

There is a whole lot more to being a good pitcher than just sometimes having an overpowering fastball or a devastating curve. Doc has all the intangibles along with great pitches to make him the superstar he is. Burnett is a prime example that talent alone is not enough.
    this is burnett

Burnett throws four pitches. His main pitches are a four-seam fastball and sinker at 91–94 mph, as well as a knuckle curveball[29] at 80–83. Less frequently, he also throws a changeup to left-handed hitters at 87–89 mph. The curve is especially good for swinging strikes with its 44% whiff rate for Burnett's career. The changeup has also been good for getting groundouts — it has a ground ball/fly ball ratio of better than 5:1.

burnett's was a powerful pitcher...however his control was bad

this is halladay

Halladay's disctinctiveness is characterized by his ability to throw a hard two-seam sinking fastball ranging in the low 90s with pinpoint control. In addition, he throws a 4-seam fastball in the low 90s (which is rarely seen), a curveball in the high 70s, and cut fastball from 90–92 mph which he had modified the grip for in 2007 at the suggestion of former catcher Sal Fasano.[57] Halladay threw the hardest cutter among MLB starters in the 2011 season, at an average of 91.4 mph

this is the reason why hallady is more successful than burnett
    wilner said that morrow's stuff is more similar to halladays......morrow would have easily been an all-star if it weren't for his injury

vCash
    R.A. Dickey....John Gibbons has hinted that he should as he won the NL Cy Young Award. I am also aware that he wants to go lefty-righty-lefty-righty..so odds are, 2 and 4 or 3 and 5 are the lefties.

Personally....I would want to see how each of them stack up at the beginning of the season. Josh Johnson could be a slow starter, Im not familiar with his work, I know he is a good starter with injuries being a concern but thats about it. I doubt he wanted to come here to be the #4 starter, but this rotation is just too good now. I can understand the need to mix up the righties and lefties, and I would probably build the team that way. That being said, knowing everything I do on paper, id have:

Dickey
    Morrow
    Buehrle
    Johnson
    Romero

Again, Id make that determination at Spring Training, but thats what Id go with TODAY!!!

vCash
    I think that it would be a real good idea to have romero after dickey in the rotation. Just to kind of help him along gaining back his confidence since dickey's knuckleball screws up peoples timing at the plate.

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast