Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast
    vCash
    I assume "worst" means most lop-sided?

If that's the case I'd vote for Pedro Martinez x2, first the DeShields deal, then the Pavano/Armas deal with Boston.

Of course there are the obvious ones we've all heard ad nauseum: Bagwell/Anderson, Babe Ruth, Frank Robinson, so on, so forth.
    Here's to feeling good all the time.

vCash
    the padres trading fred mcgriff to the braves

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by abe_froman View Post
    some i havent seen
    -o's trade milt pappas for frank robinson
    -o's trade curt schilling and steve finley to the astro's
    -mets trade nolan ryan to the angels for jim fregosi
    The Mets didn't just trade Ryan for Fregosi although sure, that would have been bad enough. No, in order to convince the then-California Angels to take the future HOFer off their hands in exchange for a .233 hitting shortstop turned third baseman, the Mets had to throw in outfielder Leroy Stanton, relief pitcher Don Rose, and catcher Francisco Estrada, although i dont think either Rose or Estrada ever played in the big leagues.
    FELLOW SATINISTS INCLUDE:
    FoC, YS, Harry, Zmaster, Gotta, ArkansasMetsFan, KingsnQueens7, The-rock-man, Wrigheyes4MVP, Vendetta, Jim Labruno

vCash
    kazmir for zambrano was one of the best trades in mets history because it was so outrageous that it forced the mets to make massive changes which resulted in 2 years later fielding one of the best teams in baseball

they never sealed the deal but without that trade the mets would have continued to field teams featuring future hof's jason phillips and vance wilson

vCash
    Derek Lowe and Jason Varitek for heath Slocum one of the best trades hands down

vCash
    The trade that will always bother me as a Cardinals fan

Steve Carlton for Rick Wise.

Because Carlton wanted another 50k a year (Granted, that would have doubled his current salary, but he would have obviously been worth it).

vCash
    Favorite as a Braves fan would be Tim Hudson for Charles Thomas, Dan Meyer and Juan Cruz.

At the time I also loved the Jurrjens and Gorkys Hernandez for Edgar Rentería trade.
    BRING BACK CHICUBS!!!

vCash
    Saw this trade tonight and had to necro this thread.

June 27, 2002: Montreal Expos trade Cliff Lee, Brandon Phillips, Grady Sizemore and Lee Stevens to the Cleveland Indians for Bartolo Colon and Tim Drew
    If only the Indians didn't Phillips for Jeff Stevens haha

EDIT: Meh seems it was posted but its always fun to find more terrible trades.

vCash
    one that's starting to tick me off is getting pineda for jesus Montero...he hasn't been doing to great Montero, but pineda hasn't even pitched
    New York State of Mind

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by NYKNYGNYY View Post
    one that's starting to tick me off is getting pineda for jesus Montero...he hasn't been doing to great Montero, but pineda hasn't even pitched
    Well that trade could go either way, by now that has been a bad trade for both teams.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by beldugo View Post
    Well that trade could go either way, by now that has been a bad trade for both teams.
    yea im still optimistic but Jesus was considered to be the next big thing in NY, we definitely could use a par time catcher/ dh
    New York State of Mind

vCash
    Delino Deshields for Pedro is pretty bad.

Grandy for Coke, Kennedy, and A-jax is pretty bad for the Yankees

"We the best in the league, Tony!"

vCash
    billy beane trading Andre Ethier for Milton bradley was pretty bad, you could argue that he wanted the veteran because they were competing, but even in the short term, Andre Ethier put up a higher war than bradley did in his tenure with the A's, Bradley produced 2.2 rWAR in Oakland, Ethier has produced 17,

Then there was Aaron Harang for Jose Guillen, he got 2 months of Guillen who had went from a borderline MVP to squat over night .265 BA with a .311 OBP he went from 4.6rWAR to .2 for the A's and then before he left in free agency beane didn't offer arbitration so he didn't get draft picks back and then Guillen went to the Angels. In his tenure with the Reds, Harang put up like a 19.3 rWAR, he traded 2 players that went on to produce more than 35 rWAR and got back like 2.4.
    Last edited by ciaban; 04-16-2013 at 12:03 AM.

vCash
    It's easy to armchair GM a decade after a trade and point out the one's where the prospect(s) panned out and the veteran didn't, or a team gets a steal on a hall of famer for a group of guys that never panned out.

But I like to look at trades at the time they happen. Based on the information that we know at the time.

Cardinals fans love to pick on the Chris Perez for Mark DeRosa trade. But that wasn't that bad. We got half a year of DeRosa, and Perez was worse than Motte and a bit of an obnoxious tool.

DeRosa was also a Type B free agent and brought us back a supplemental draft pick (ended up being Seth Blair)

It was a fine trade, rather neutral. But they love to armchair complain about this one and the Mark Mulder trade, which also was a fine trade at the time. We chose to give up Haren instead of Wainwright (I guess good call) but never thought Mulder would completely fail and that Haren would end up this good.

It was a good trade that ended up with poor results.

The trades I hated were things like trading for Ryan Theriot, and trading Ludwick for Westbrook. Both were really stupid moves. Westbrook one worked out alright, but at the time the reasons why it was a bad trade are long. Too long to type right now.

So with that said, the worst trades I can recall off the top of my head in recent years:

Vernon Wells to the Angels was so laughably horrible, it's worst than a trade you would see in a video game. That was 100% ridiculous, has to be one of the worst you can make, I'd say the worst trade in the last decade.

The Phillies when they gave up Lee for three nobodies from Seattle. Seattle gave up nothing to get Lee. They never cashed it in really, but they gave up nothing to get him. I think that was probably the worst of the Lee trades. Worked out fine in the end for the Phillies, but it was just a stupid trade.

The Braves gave up a ton for Tex, but Tex was an elite switch hitting first basemen in his prime that the Braves appeared to believe they could retain long term. When they found out that wasn't possible they flipped him back to the AL West. Unfortunately they gave up an absolute haul for him, a haul large enough to help the Rangers really rebuild strongly. Was an important trade for the Rangers, but I think it's a reasonable trade at the time.

The Pierz for Nathan trade was pretty bad in that it didn't make enough sense for the Giants at the time, and made increasingly less sense for them as the year went on.

And finally, I would say A-Ram and Lofton to the Cubs for absolutely nothing.

Vernon Wells trade takes the cake for the last decade. Was insanely stupid. How can any team voluntarily take on that contract AND give up talent to do so?

Babe Ruth trade was the worst of all time of course.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeffy25 View Post
    It's easy to armchair GM a decade after a trade and point out the one's where the prospect(s) panned out and the veteran didn't, or a team gets a steal on a hall of famer for a group of guys that never panned out.

But I like to look at trades at the time they happen. Based on the information that we know at the time.
    I 100% completely agree with this. I wish more people felt that way. One of my biggest pet peeves in sports discussion is people trying to defend a bad trade by saying "Well we won't know if it was a good trade or bad trade until 3-5 years from now" or something of that nature. Trades should be evaluated based on the information and projections available at the time of the deal.

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast