Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 15 of 24 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 ... LastLast

Thread: WHO Next

vCash
    ^But they have to replace Young with somebody who will likely be more expensive. And they'll probably re-sign the other three barring injury at a higher rate.

And the luxury tax limit isn't necessarily their budget ceiling. Given the weaker roster, I assume they'll draw less than in recent seasons. Which necessitates a smaller budget.
    Now writing for FanGraphs, RotoGraphs, The Hardball Times, and The Fake Baseball

Follow me on Twitter for article updates @baseballATeam

vCash
    dont you agree tho if they would have signed hamilton it would have brought excitment to the fan base keeping ticket sales up

vCash
    Ticket sales are more elastic than that. Returning a roster that won over 100 games didn't generate a full season of sell outs when the team slumped. Even with Hamilton, there's still a fairly high chance that the team middles.

So they might have gotten a couple mil worth of extra money from the signing. Maybe.

In other words, I don't agree.
    Now writing for FanGraphs, RotoGraphs, The Hardball Times, and The Fake Baseball

vCash
    I found that a little hard to believe when Angels ticket sales soared the day after Hamilton signed. There are a few players every offseason that can add a jolt into a team and its fan base. Hamilton and grienke this year were 2 that could do that.

vCash

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by IBleedRed(duh) View Post
    If you really worked in alcohol and drug rehab, you'd know that rehab 101 for drug rehab is no alcohol.
    Exactly.

vCash
    yes it is. Im not saying that we encourage the use of alcohol. What I am saying is that we consider them 2 different kinds of issues. We are concerned and put our clients through a series of drug and alcohol tests weekly. If a client passes a drug test but fails an alcohol test they get put into a different catagory. We often run into this problem and not going to lie 75% of these clients end up using drugs again. But there are 25% that never use drugs again after having a slip up with alcohol.

I was just stating a fact that drug addiction and alcohol abuse are 2 seperate entities and not 1 and the same.

vCash
    How many millions of dollars did they make from those ticket sales?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by The A Team View Post
    How many millions of dollars did they make from those ticket sales?
    I do not have those numbers in front of me. But it doesnt change the fact that after 2 straight years of 1st round eliminations and a .500 season last year, this team needs a shot in the arm and some excitement in the fan base.

vCash
    Ok, but if it doesn't work financially then that's not actually what the team needs.

vCash

Question

Quote Originally Posted by Philsforever View Post
    We often run into this problem and not going to lie 75% of these clients end up using drugs again. But there are 25% that never use drugs again after having a slip up with alcohol.
    So you are suggesting that we invest $125M into a 25% chance he won't continue relapsing ?

vCash
    I wonder what Hamilton's drug of choice was when he was strung out. I know he did a lot of coke, but I bet he loved meth or heroine. Every coke head I know always prefers the extreme drugs, but are cheap and cocaine does the trick. He had some MLB money, so he probably treating himself to a nice meth breakfast in his Glory Days.

Would love to sit down with him, and a good chew to go along with it.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by 11MVPPatBurrell View Post
    So you are suggesting that we invest $125M into a 25% chance he won't continue relapsing ?
    Your right, im wrong, Hamilton would have been a mistake. Im sure he will def relapse or be injured so much throughout his contract that he will suck. I stand corrected.

More I think about it I feel alot better having a 27yr old rookie who has never been ranked a top prospect in LF and a .235 carerr hitter in RF that has not shown any signs to be as good as the hype.

vCash
    The commitment to Hamilton would have been 25 x greater than that to Brown and Ruf. The gamble that constitutes the contract that the Angels gave Hamilton is therefore riskier than what the Phillies are rolling with in the outfield currently. Is Hamilton more likely to pay off with bigger numbers, especially in the short term? Yes. But risking that much money on someone who likely won't be able to live up to the value of his contract (IMO likely because of injury/normal wear and tear rather than relapse) seriously hampers your flexibility to fix things if/when the **** hits the fan (see the Howard contract).

Learning to love the bomb since 2009

Phils, Eagles, Flyers

vCash
    I give up. This guy thinks baseball teams uses Monopoly money.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by k_dol50 View Post
    The commitment to Hamilton would have been 25 x greater than that to Brown and Ruf. The gamble that constitutes the contract that the Angels gave Hamilton is therefore riskier than what the Phillies are rolling with in the outfield currently. Is Hamilton more likely to pay off with bigger numbers, especially in the short term? Yes. But risking that much money on someone who likely won't be able to live up to the value of his contract (IMO likely because of injury/normal wear and tear rather than relapse) seriously hampers your flexibility to fix things if/when the **** hits the fan (see the Howard contract).
    That is a very fair arguement. I def have to agree with you on that. I was looking for more of a short term fix sense the Phillies window is closing.

Page 15 of 24 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 ... LastLast