Like us on Facebook


Follow us on Twitter





Page 14 of 24 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast
Results 196 to 210 of 348

Thread: WHO Next

  1. #196
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    556
    vCash
    1500
    The way I see it the pitching when on its 'A' game it is a championship level rotation. But with an average offense the pitching staff isnt afforded the luxary of having a bad outing. If the offense is beefed up a little bit then the pitching staff has an opportunity to have an average performance and still win.

    I think how the present roster is constructed to much pressure is put on the pitching staff which leads to mistakes by the pitchers.

  2. #197
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    18,697
    vCash
    1500
    Look, it would be nice to have elite pitching and an elite offense, but that rarely happens in baseball. There are constraints that prevent the Phillies from pursuing both simultaneously.
    Now writing for FanGraphs, RotoGraphs, The Hardball Times, and The Fake Baseball

    Follow me on Twitter for article updates @baseballATeam

  3. #198
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    556
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by The A Team View Post
    Look, it would be nice to have elite pitching and an elite offense, but that rarely happens in baseball. There are constraints that prevent the Phillies from pursuing both simultaneously.
    I completely agree, but my point is the reason the phillies are in this situation is Amaro has put all his resources into pitching. My only point and complaint is that Amaro has not built a balanced roster and that this roster is too pitcher heavy and the offense is left to rely on unproven players.

    I get what all you guys are saying. But why couldnt the Phillies taken a chance on unproven backend of the rotation pitchers and got the proven number 5 hitter they have needed for years?

    There are risks with every player signed to long term expensive contracts. Injuries can happen to anyone and even tho its not the same anyone can get busted for drugs (Ruiz). So all im saying is that a loaded pitching staff hasnt produced a championship so why not try adding to the offense and see where that gets us.

  4. #199
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    18,697
    vCash
    1500
    Because there are constraints...

    The pitching is already put in place. There's not all that much that can be done there without taking a loss.

    Also, the Phillies spend an above average amount on their offense. The problem is that the big money ticket plays like a certain $2.5 million DH that the Astros recently signed. Without the good defense and fewer walks.
    Now writing for FanGraphs, RotoGraphs, The Hardball Times, and The Fake Baseball

    Follow me on Twitter for article updates @baseballATeam

  5. #200
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    556
    vCash
    1500
    The only constraints are the constraints they put on them self. The Luxary Tax is not a hard cap. But the Phillies make it one. I also understand that thy dont have an unlimited amount of money however with ticket prices continuing north and sell outs still happening and a new TV deal just a few years away. Now is the time to put extra money into the team while reaping the benfits with a new TV deal with a championship team.

    If this roster fails this year it will affect the bottom line of the new TV deal. That is a huge gamble this franchise is taking instead of spending more money to make the gamble less.

    Now more then ever this franchise needs to win now to set them up finacially in the future. You need to spend money and take risks to make really money. Example Dodgers

  6. #201
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    91
    vCash
    1500
    They were 8th in the NL last year.

    Over 162 games the Phillies only scored 47 less runs then Wash and 16 less then the Braves.

    Without some major players the first half of the season.

    However, the Phillies gave up 86 and 80 MORE runs then those 2 teams.

  7. #202
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    18,697
    vCash
    1500
    A poor showing theoretically will have no effect on the TV deal. In practice, it might force the Phillies to give up a higher equity stake (which is of no consequence to the fans).

    TV deals depend mostly on market capacity which is unaffected by team performance.

    The luxury tax is pretty close to a hard cap now - the penalties are extreme. Have you not been watching the Yankees dismantle their team to get under it?

    The Phillies are also one of two or three teams to operate in the red in recent seasons as reported by Forbes. I wouldn't believe that to the letter, but we can assume that their profit margin has been quite a bit thinner than other clubs.
    Now writing for FanGraphs, RotoGraphs, The Hardball Times, and The Fake Baseball

    Follow me on Twitter for article updates @baseballATeam

  8. #203
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    277
    vCash
    1500

    Lightbulb

    What a great read.

  9. #204
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    277
    vCash
    1500

    Thumbs down

    Quote Originally Posted by Philsforever View Post
    Was unaware that it is against the law to drink. I know that its not ideal for a recovering addict to drink however it is also not the same. His addiction was drugs not alchohol. So lets not confuse the two. Thank you
    He found god though, so I'm sure that it was god who told him to cheat on his wife

  10. #205
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    18,697
    vCash
    1500
    Are body shots cheating? Why?

    It's worth pointing out that he appears to be extremely addicted to alcohol. The most recent episode of Josh Hamilton Goes Wild was supposedly precipitated by only a couple drinks.
    Last edited by The A Team; 12-26-2012 at 11:36 AM.
    Now writing for FanGraphs, RotoGraphs, The Hardball Times, and The Fake Baseball

    Follow me on Twitter for article updates @baseballATeam

  11. #206
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    277
    vCash
    1500

    Lightbulb

    Addicts are addicts, they can easily go from one vice to the next. I'm sure our friend, Philsforever, who has dedicated his life to helping them can shed some insight into it.

  12. #207
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    556
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by 11MVPPatBurrell View Post
    Addicts are addicts, they can easily go from one vice to the next. I'm sure our friend, Philsforever, who has dedicated his life to helping them can shed some insight into it.
    Yes i work as an alcohol and drug rehab counselor and am an assistant baseball coach at our local university.

    You are right people with addictions tend to move from vice to vice if they do not have a good support system. However if a recovering drug addict has a night out and gets drunk that does not mean he has fallen off the wagon or has moved from vice to vice. If it is a continuous action then there is a cause for concern. But we are not sure of the circumstance of the night in question and it is also not reported to be a nightly thing.

    Trust me if there was a fear of a relapse the Angels would not have given him 125mil over the next 5yrs.

    Point being addicts are people and recovering addicts should not be treated differently then you or me. That is usually the reason many recovering addicts fall back into addict because the lack of oppurtunities and respect given to them as they battle through their demons.
    Last edited by Philsforever; 12-26-2012 at 12:12 PM.

  13. #208
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Downingtown PA
    Posts
    797
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by Philsforever View Post
    Yes i wanted them to sign Hamilton. I would have rather them spend on Hamilton and letting Aumunt be setup instead of signing Adams and I would have allowed an open competition between Petittibone Clyod and Morgan for the 5 spot in rotation instead of signing Lanan. You say I dont give you any suitable answers, well your turn. Give me a suitable answer for the offense that has been on the decline and is relying on unproven players to come thru.

    IM WAITING
    Exactly what A-Team said. Not signing lannan and Adams wouldn't get the Phils Hamilton. That's not an option.

    I wouldn't have minded Swisher. Seems as if the Phils didn't want to give up their 1st round pick (16th I believe). But from what from what I've read, the upcoming draft looks like a mediocre pool, so I wasn't too concerned there. But I get it. I'm not upset like you seem to be.

    So can you offer a real solution? Who??

  14. #209
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Downingtown PA
    Posts
    797
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by Philsforever View Post
    Yes i work as an alcohol and drug rehab counselor and am an assistant baseball coach at our local university.

    You are right people with addictions tend to move from vice to vice if they do not have a good support system. However if a recovering drug addict has a night out and gets drunk that does not mean he has fallen off the wagon or has moved from vice to vice. If it is a continuous action then there is a cause for concern. But we are not sure of the circumstance of the night in question and it is also not reported to be a nightly thing.

    Trust me if there was a fear of a relapse the Angels would not have given him 125mil over the next 5yrs.

    Point being addicts are people and recovering addicts should not be treated differently then you or me. That is usually the reason many recovering addicts fall back into addict because the lack of oppurtunities and respect given to them as they battle through their demons.
    If you really worked in alcohol and drug rehab, you'd know that rehab 101 for drug rehab is no alcohol.

    That said, I always thought the drug comments in reference to Hamilton were overblown. But 25mil for 5 yrs was not in the cards for the Phils

  15. #210
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    556
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by IBleedRed(duh) View Post
    Exactly what A-Team said. Not signing lannan and Adams wouldn't get the Phils Hamilton. That's not an option.

    I wouldn't have minded Swisher. Seems as if the Phils didn't want to give up their 1st round pick (16th I believe). But from what from what I've read, the upcoming draft looks like a mediocre pool, so I wasn't too concerned there. But I get it. I'm not upset like you seem to be.

    So can you offer a real solution? Who??
    Correct me if Im wrong, but the phillies have approx 10mil before they get to the Luxary tax. So if you take that 10 plus 6mil for adams and 2.5 mil for Lanhan. Gets us to 18.5 mil. I know that leaves us about 7 mil short for hamilton.

    But i would have taken the shot on hamilton and if it wasnt working you sell parts at the deadline to get under tax. And if it is working then I would have no problem being over the tax for 1 year since Halladay, Utley, Ruiz, and Young are coming off the books next year.

Page 14 of 24 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •