Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 11 of 24 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

Thread: WHO Next

vCash
    I'm assuming Chooch will revert back to his "pre-medicated" playing....which is why I put him in the 8 hole....if he doesn't...awesome...that just gives us a better chance of turning the lineup over on a more consistent basis...

vCash
    My understanding is that the Adderall would have affected his stamina/energy level more than his actual hitting ability. I think that he has legitimately improved in terms of making contact and driving the ball. The question is whether he will be able to do it on a consistent basis and whether he'll still be able to catch four out of every five games. Putting him back in the 8 hole would be a waste, though, IMO.

Learning to love the bomb since 2009

Phils, Eagles, Flyers

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by k_dol50 View Post
    My understanding is that the Adderall would have affected his stamina/energy level more than his actual hitting ability. I think that he has legitimately improved in terms of making contact and driving the ball. The question is whether he will be able to do it on a consistent basis and whether he'll still be able to catch four out of every five games. Putting him back in the 8 hole would be a waste, though, IMO.
    Pairing Kratz up with KK's starts would give Chooch a day off every week on top of the team's regularly scheduled days off. And splitting up any day night double headers. Throw in Kratz for any spot starts by any call ups or long men. Then assuming he's healthy I think there would be a fair amount of rest for Chooch

vCash
    That sounds pretty much like the normal number one catcher's workload. I think he should be fine doing that, but if the amphetamines were having that much of an effect, then Kratz might need to catch all of KK's starts plus another game every other week or so. If Kratz can produce offensively anything like he did last year, then this shouldn't be too much of a problem.

Phils, Eagles, Flyers

vCash
    How about Valle and Schwimmer for Wells and Cash.

I really think Wells, like Young, would have something to prove and I think could resurrect his career. Also gives Phils more depth at centerfield. I really think Wells could help this team a lot. I like giving former All-stars a chance to prove people wrong. The talent is there just needs the oppurtunity

vCash
    I couldn't in good conscience give more than Jiwaan James and Joe Savery for Wells. And that's with the Angels picking up 90% of the tab.

Phils, Eagles, Flyers

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Philsforever View Post
    How about Valle and Schwimmer for Wells and Cash.

I really think Wells, like Young, would have something to prove and I think could resurrect his career. Also gives Phils more depth at centerfield. I really think Wells could help this team a lot. I like giving former All-stars a chance to prove people wrong. The talent is there just needs the oppurtunity
    Why would you give up a quality bullpen piece and solid catching spec for someone the Angels are practically trying to give away. How would a 34 year old Vernon Wells help this team at all??? He is poor defensively and his only positive trait was his bat and that has severely failed him the last two years especially. I dont like aquiring players who are trending downward, overpaid, and when their former team doesnt even want them anyone that should tell you something. How can you justify Vernon Wells over someone like Darin Ruf who is cheap and costs us nothing. Im pretty sure Ruf can duplicate/outproduce a .230/.279/.403 slash line, not to mention Wells cant even stay healthy anymore. He has only been productive twice since 2007 (2008/2010) so what is there left to resurrect? How are we ever going to find out what we have in Ruf and Brown if we never give them consistant playing time? Burying them behind these washed up players doesnt solve anything. I dont think Brown will turn out to be anything but I think Ruf has a legit chance to be an above average starter and there is only one way to find out for sure. PLAY THEM!
    Proud Temple University Alumni
    Eagles: Jeremy Maclin
    Phillies: Jake Diekman
    76ers: Nerlens Noel
    Flyers: Brayden Schenn
    Temple Football: P.J. Walker/Zaire Williams
    Temple Basketball: Quenton DeCosey

...the beginning of a Philly Dynasty

Quote Originally Posted by More-Than-Most View Post
    I hate domes... Brees wouldnt have a Job if there were no Domes

vCash
    Honestly, if a team offers to pay $5 million of his salary, that should be enough. And more honestly, that's probably paying way too much.
    Now writing for FanGraphs, RotoGraphs, The Hardball Times, and The Fake Baseball

Follow me on Twitter for article updates @baseballATeam

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by k_dol50 View Post
    That's not what I understand. Aderall helps with focus. Per Jayson Stark, scouts were amazed last year how Chooch was on top of everything. It seemed as if nothing fooled him. Aderall would certainly help with that.

Of course, I'm referencing a radio interview on 97.5. Do you have an article that led you to believe its more beneficial to stamina? I could be wrong.

Note: Could you be thinking of steroids? The misconception with steroids is that the baseball benefit is that it adds to a players strength. Actually, it limits the period where they are normally tired (stamina). In the case of Bonds, less tired means more home runs.

vCash
    Steroids also add indirectly to strength by allowing the player to recover quicker and thus work out more often and longer.
    Now writing for FanGraphs, RotoGraphs, The Hardball Times, and The Fake Baseball

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by The A Team View Post
    Steroids also add indirectly to strength by allowing the player to recover quicker and thus work out more often and longer.
    Exactly. The main thing with roids is the recovery time. I play college ball and I'd say half my team has tried em, but the handful of guys who cycle regularly are the pitchers. They're not doing it for bulk or strength (velo drop), they're doing it simply to get through the grind of the season, so that by the time playoffs role around and the scouts start showing up, their arm doesn't fall off. Plus HGH is extremely hard to detect in your blood. Can't fault anyone for doing them though, if you want to play in the MLB you have to juice, and that's the sad truth.

On a sidenote, adderall certainly helped my grades this semester, so I can't hate on chooch, but christ bro, get a script.

vCash
    My college team didn't have a problem with people using roids, but I'd say at least half of the players who came after me were using Adderall for grades. I went to an academic first D-III school, so there was a lot more pressure on grades than play.

vCash
    It's crazy how easy adderall is to get on campus. At a school of 16,000 half of them have to be prescribed. Pretty much every athlete at my school relies on adderall to be able to make it through morning practice, class, study hall. It's never helped me personally in a game though, I honestly think any pre-workout is better. (most of them are banned under the NCAA now)
    Last edited by cujoO'Mall; 12-22-2012 at 11:58 AM.

vCash
    I never got around to trying it, although I probably should have. I've always been pretty good at focusing on work, but college did overwhelm me a bit at times. Particularly because certain subjects did require me to study and I've never really had any success with that. If it doesn't stick the first time around, it's because I've determined it's not worth remembering (memorization of equations notwithstanding).

vCash
    Honestly man, it's a game changer. If there was academic PED tests I'd be lookin at atleast a full semester ban. Straight Sammy Sosa of the scholarly world.

Page 11 of 24 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast