Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 3 of 24 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: WHO Next

vCash
    Who is this starting pitcher everyone wants that thinks is a major upgrade? I dont see any on the free agent market that is an upgrade over what they have.

vCash
    As Ruthian is keen to point out, Shaun Marcum would be a good get and is expected to be relatively cheap for his talent level. Of course, there's a reason he's not in line to get paid like Anibal Sanchez. More injury prone upgrades include Erik Bedard, Dallas Braden, Jair Jurrjens, Roy Oswalt, Tim Stauffer, and Javy Vazquez.

There are also plenty of pitchers on the trade market like Chris Capuano, Rick Porcello, Drew Smyly, and Aaron Harang.
    Now writing for FanGraphs, RotoGraphs, The Hardball Times, and The Fake Baseball

Follow me on Twitter for article updates @baseballATeam

vCash
    Nice debate over going all in to try win now or sustaining long term relevancy. I agree Ross isn't enough of an upgrade to squander the remaining balance of the payroll.

Can someone refresh my memory? When is the current tv contract up? And how much revenue can we expect from a new deal?

vCash
    I'd like them to look at any one of Marcum, Bedard, Jurrjens or a potential trade for Smyly. Although, I'd prefer the free agent route to giving up more specs at this point.

vCash
    A-Team, do you believe the pitchers you mentioned to be a bigger upgrade than the Phils adding Swisher?

vCash
    IBR - I don't. However, I think the odds of the Phillies offering Swisher a contract are close to zero. Everything I've heard leads me to believe they are unwilling to give up the 16th pick and pay the contract he is asking for. He also appears to be outside their budget.

Geo - It's up after the 2014 season if memory serves and it's hard to say what they'll actually pull in with a new deal. Multiple billions is likely assured, but the breakdown per season is unknown. A lot of the recent deals included equity stakes in the clubs to increase the deal size. It's unclear if the Phillies would offer that.
    Now writing for FanGraphs, RotoGraphs, The Hardball Times, and The Fake Baseball

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by The A Team View Post
    There are also plenty of pitchers on the trade market like Chris Capuano, Rick Porcello, Drew Smyly, and Aaron Harang.
    Drew Smyly is available? What would it take to get him? I'll take a 23 year old ground ball pitcher any day of the week. He'd settle nicely into the Vance Worley role of young, cheap pitcher.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by The A Team View Post
    IBR - I don't. However, I think the odds of the Phillies offering Swisher a contract are close to zero. Everything I've heard leads me to believe they are unwilling to give up the 16th pick and pay the contract he is asking for. He also appears to be outside their budget.

Geo - It's up after the 2014 season if memory serves and it's hard to say what they'll actually pull in with a new deal. Multiple billions is likely assured, but the breakdown per season is unknown. A lot of the recent deals included equity stakes in the clubs to increase the deal size. It's unclear if the Phillies would offer that.
    Wondering if this impacts RAJ's decisions? We could see a short term transition period from old core (Rollins, Utley, Howard, etc) to slightly younger core (Brown, Galvis, Asche, etc) by 2014-15. That could partially explain the focus on pitching since home grown pitching depth is so hard to develop. The really tricky part is maintaining competitiveness at the same time

vCash
    Drew Smyly is available? What would it take to get him? I'll take a 23 year old ground ball pitcher any day of the week. He'd settle nicely into the Vance Worley role of young, cheap pitcher.[/QUOTE]

Saw this too and if possible I would like a move like this

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by geo21874 View Post
    Wondering if this impacts RAJ's decisions? We could see a short term transition period from old core (Rollins, Utley, Howard, etc) to slightly younger core (Brown, Galvis, Asche, etc) by 2014-15. That could partially explain the focus on pitching since home grown pitching depth is so hard to develop. The really tricky part is maintaining competitiveness at the same time
    That's 3 role/bench players. Any core is going to come from outside of the organization at this point.

vCash
    If we plan to enter the season with Kendrick, Cloyd, and Lannan as our bottom of the rotation guys. We might as well get Swisher for the offense, and he can pitch garbage innings after Kendrick & Lannan. Swisher can pitch from the stretch, like he showed in Chicago or NY.

He's no Wilson Valdez, but he could be NEXT!

vCash
    That's 3 role/bench players. Any core is going to come from outside of the organization at this point.[/QUOTE]

Well I see them and other "MLB-ready" talent within the Phil's system as a bridge to some future "core" group to build upon. But you're absolutely right that it looks like that group will likely come from elsewhere.

vCash
    I think if you want an internal core, we'll just have to cross our fingers on Quinn, Tocci, and maybe a guy like Cozens.

The Phillies need a couple guys to come out of nowhere with big seasons. That's a lot of pressure to put on Ruf and Brown, but that's the two spots where it could happen. A big rebound from Young would be nice too.

vCash
    cant believe i am suggesting this, but would love to hear people's thoughts...i know they inquired about him early in the offseason, so unsure if its even possible...but what about Lance Berkman for RF? i know defensively and injury prone and all that stuff...but considering the options out there...if he is willing to play RF, which is a big if, he is the type of guy you can sign for a year and its low risk-high reward...he can be managed the way La Russa managed him in St. Louis...just thought it could be an intriguing option

vCash
    I hopped on the Dylan Cozens train a few days ago. I would love for him to be ready by 2014-15, but he's a two sport athlete that has just committed to baseball full-time and is only 18.

He's got big time potential and only fell in the draft because he committed to play baseball/football at Arizona.....as a defensive end. Dude is a mammoth. Some people are comparing his athleticism/strength to Giancarlo Stanton.

Page 3 of 24 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast