Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 24 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: WHO Next

vCash

WHO Next

We need one RH bat in Right field. 2 FA left with semi big price tag

Cody Ross
    Nick Swisher

I like Cody Ross but for some reason I don't think the phils want to spend the money that he wants.
    I also like Nick Swisher for some reason Phils don't seem interested..

DarkHorses
    Lance Berkman
    I know he is old and has a bad knee but if he can play Right field for us and for cheap price.

He can supply patience bat with power and Also since he is so old he can platoon with Ruf and Brown.

one other name I throw out there Kendrys Morales in a trade.. I just don't know about his defense in the outfield.

vCash
    If this were my team I'd be tunneled in on a SP right now. A good depth bat for AAA would be lovely though.
    Now writing for FanGraphs, RotoGraphs, The Hardball Times, and The Fake Baseball

Follow me on Twitter for article updates @baseballATeam

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Flyers01 View Post
    We need one RH bat in Right field. 2 FA left with semi big price tag

Cody Ross
    Nick Swisher

I like Cody Ross but for some reason I don't think the phils want to spend the money that he wants.
    I also like Nick Swisher for some reason Phils don't seem interested..

DarkHorses
    Lance Berkman
    I know he is old and has a bad knee but if he can play Right field for us and for cheap price.

He can supply patience bat with power and Also since he is so old he can platoon with Ruf and Brown.

one other name I throw out there Kendrys Morales in a trade.. I just don't know about his defense in the outfield.
    I don't think Kendrys can play the field.

I really want Swisher, I am higher on him than most people, mostly because he's really cool . But really offer Swisher 3 years and see what happens

Props.LgnD.

vCash
    I like swisher also I think he would fit in nicely ONly issue don't see him as a 5 hole hitter
    Not sure what he batted in NY..

I kinda like to have Berkman if he would sign a 1 year deal for say 5 mill.
    so we have flexibility to make a trade at the deadline

He also would play only around 100 games So that would give some of our young OF a chance to prove themselfs

vCash
    At this point I feel like people think we have to have an outfielder, having said that I don't think any of these options are ideal and we have more potential with Brown and Ruf at this point that we should focus our attention on signing Shaun Marcum

vCash
    Posts by Ruthian and mentions of Shaun Marcum are highly correlated, R^2 = .92.
    Now writing for FanGraphs, RotoGraphs, The Hardball Times, and The Fake Baseball

vCash
    I agree to an extent about the OFers. Brown and Ruf offer a higher upside (and lower downside) than Ross. It doesn't sound like the Phillies are willing to pay Swisher and give up the 16th overall pick.

In any case, think of it this way - Ross is probably at best a 3 WAR OFer. Whatever platoon he replaces is probably a fair bet for at least 1 WAR. So how likely are the Phillies to need those 2 WAR?
    Last edited by The A Team; 12-17-2012 at 03:01 PM.

vCash
    Pitching Pitching Pitching. What is wrong with you guys. This team needs offense. I dont understand how anyone could be happy with line up as is. It hasnt been good enough the last 3 yrs.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Philsforever View Post
    Pitching Pitching Pitching. What is wrong with you guys. This team needs offense. I dont understand how anyone could be happy with line up as is. It hasnt been good enough the last 3 yrs.
    I don't think it's so much that people are happy with the offense as they are unimpressed with what's left on the market. If your choices are to spend $8 million and maybe improve the offense marginally (see A Team's higher upside/lower downside comment), or invest that money in a starting pitcher who will substantially improve the current rotation (see "get Lannan the hell out of there"), then what is the better decision?

Learning to love the bomb since 2009

Phils, Eagles, Flyers

vCash
    Ross is a career .294 5 10 in the post season. He is clutch when it matters most. Something this team need.

vCash
    Some combination of Lannan, Kendrick, Cloyd, and Pettibone are penciled in for about 90 starts right now. That wouldn't be a problem with the '08 lineup, but it is with the '13 lineup. Adding Cody Ross does not change that in the slightest.

However, adding a noticeably better SP would reduce the need for an improved offense.

I just think that's an easier fix. It's what I would do in Rube's position.

vCash
    So I guess you are ok watching lee go out and throw 8ip 2er and lose 2-1 again all season. I understand.

vCash
    Right now Phillies have 96mil dedicated to pitching and 60 mil to hitting. So lets spend more on pitching because for some reason people think Dom Brown or JMJR are going to somehow snap out of there mediocre play and help produce some runs. I love the plan. Sign me up

vCash

WHO Next

there is no future anymore. its gonna take at least 5 yrs to have a decent farm system. and by that time Halladay, Lee and Rollins will be gone. Howard will hopefully be traded. Utley, if still in Philly will be a shell of his former self. so why not put all the chips on the table and win now? why not sign Ross and give us another much needed bat. this offense has been struggling since 2010, the fact that some of you are questioning a Ross signing is just insane.

if Brown and Ruf turn out to be the real deal than theres obviously a chance in the future, but right now that future looks bleak.

Phillies Redskins Flyers

vCash
    ^agreed

Page 1 of 24 12311 ... LastLast