Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    vCash

2013: A 1983 Redux

The year 2013 may be a repeat of 1983...we started that year with a weak team that lost over 90 games but but by mid-summer we made a foundation trade for Keith Hernandez, my favorite Met all time, and watched young Darryl Strawberry debut...one writer likened watching him as to watching a baby deer learning how to walk minutes after birth.

Doc was started at A ball and moved to AAA that summer. A wave of kids was just about to arrive [Darling, Aguilera, Elster, Mitchell, Dykstra, Myers, etc.] to join a young core at Shea. Watching a TDA and Harvey and later Wheeler develop and join neophytes like Familia, Edgin, Carson, Nieuwenhuis and Mejia could create the same feeling...knowing that WFlores, Nimmo, Montero, etc. are on the horizon....seeing the pieces unfold before your eyes and knowing that we were going to be real good, real soon. It will make for an interesting summer.
    Bob
    Met fan since 1969

vCash

Cool post

vCash

So do you guys think Colins is the manager for this up and coming group of youngsters or are we going to make a change there soon? Backman?? Any thoughts ideas?

vCash
    I don't see why the Mets would replace Collins. He hasn't done anything to lose his job.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

vCash
    Collins is not a happy man today though. He just lost his best pitcher and CY winner.

vCash
    You makes good points, but to be fair, the Mets had two once in a generation talents coming up through the farm in Straw and Gooden. Sure Harvey; Wheeler, and TDA have upside, but they're not two Strausburgs and a Posey.
    For the best sports gifs and memes visit
    http://aviewfromthebleachers.tumblr.com/

vCash
    But they are better then a lot of teams have in up and coming talent!
    " You seek Yoda!

vCash
    Awesome post. I think that it is possible to see a similar upswing. Davey wasn't manager in 83, so maybe Wally takes over next year haha who knows. But talent wise, we are similar to where we were in 83

vCash
    Lol people talking about prospects like it'll be a sure thing.

Just sit back and hope that some of these kids pan out...if you think all of them will you simply haven't been watching Mets baseball for the past 10 years.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cosmic_Canon View Post
    You makes good points, but to be fair, the Mets had two once in a generation talents coming up through the farm in Straw and Gooden. Sure Harvey; Wheeler, and TDA have upside, but they're not two Strausburgs and a Posey.
    Strasburg isn't even a "Strasburg" yet too small of a sample size and you don't even know what Harvey or Wheeler or TDA has so that doesn't even make any sense.

vCash
    Excellent post. I've followed this team since spring training 1969 and what he is saying is absolutely correct. Look at the powerhouse Washington has become. They were built from the ground up. We're going to great, but it's still going to take some time. Merry Christmas to all.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sick Of It All View Post
    Collins is not a happy man today though. He just lost his best pitcher and CY winner.
    I don't care if he's happy.

"You don't know how to drink. Your whole generation, you drink for the wrong reasons. My generation, we drink because it's good, because it feels better than unbuttoning your collar, because we deserve it. We drink because it's what men do."

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr Voodoo View Post
    Excellent post. I've followed this team since spring training 1969 and what he is saying is absolutely correct. Look at the powerhouse Washington has become. They were built from the ground up. We're going to great, but it's still going to take some time. Merry Christmas to all.
    Thanks....See Washington, exactly. You have a few stud players as your core [Wright, Davis, D'Arnaud, and Harvey, Niese and Wheeler], hope the other young guys step up and solidify their positions [Tejada, Murphy,Duda, Parnell, Gee, Edgin, Familia, Mejia, Nieuwenhuis], mix in a few veterans with something left in the tank [Santana, Francisco], and trade your depth from the farm [extra RH pitching] to upgrade your weak spots [outfield]. Use a few cheaper FAs as placeholders. When you get close add a key FA or two and you're a solid contender for years to come. We certainly don't know how many of our top prospects will pan out but when you have a dozen guys stamped future major leaguer within two years of the majors that's a good place to start and we're about there now.
    Bob
    Met fan since 1969

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by clayamtion View Post
    I don't care if he's happy.
    neither do I, but he a'int happy.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sick Of It All View Post
    Yep definitely not, he apparently lobbied for Gose to be in the deal so he'd have a lead-off man and CF but they were denied and got Noah instead(awesome, sorry Terry)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast