Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 13 of 35 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by rockbottom2010 View Post
    bonifacio is a game changer......man i feel sorry for john farrell, butterfield, and luvollo.....
    Why would you feel sorry for them?

vCash
    JPA is a rally killer...he really is...thats the downside, along with his Double A defense...even the Mets preferred a guy who never played an MLB game and was injured half the season last year over a guy who's in the mLB and cost controlled.

That's what everyone thinks of JPA...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by FlakeyFool View Post
    AA obviously made all these transactions out of spite ;p

vCash
    u forgot brian mccann, kurt suzuki, johnathan lucroy, georg katteras, jarrod saltalamacchia, kurt suzuki
    U forgot kurt suzuki

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MrForever View Post
    Can you put together a list of better catchers just so we can see?

If you're right, I expect you to find around 15 better hitting catchers.
    Alright, I don't think anyone needs to be reminded that J.P. is below-average defensively (-12.1 catcher defense rating over 2-and-a-bit seasons), so I'll just focus on the offensive (or overall in the case of WAR) side of the game.

Of the 25 catchers last season with at least 350 plate appearances, here is how J.P. ranks:

19th in WAR (18th in WAR per plate appearances).
    18th in wRC+ (this is the best hitting stat out there, and J.P. had an 89 wRC+ with the average hitter pre-determined at 100).
    18th in wOBA
    24th in BB%
    3rd in K% (this isn't a good thing).
    10th in BsR (fangraphs base-running stat, which would be good if J.P. weren't still a negative contributer in this category).
    7th in ISO.

He's above-average in one offensive ability; power. That's it. Overall, he is below-average both at the plate, and behind it.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by FlakeyFool View Post
    look at the jays and look at the red sox.....farrell will continue to see failure

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Toxeryll View Post
    U forgot kurt suzuki
    whoooooooooops!

vCash
    From the Catchers you listed, a bunch of them split time at first base.

And I don't think JPA will hurt this team as much as you guys think. He's a personality in the clubhouse.

Heck, the Giants had Brandon Crawford and Ryan Theriot/Arias in their lineup.
    And Pence was horrible for them in the regular season.

And by the way, those pants, they belong to my dad.And they're not really pants,
    they're Lederhosen

vCash
    If Romero bounces back, we have the best rotation in baseball.

vCash
    rangers failed once again.....lost hamilton, lost napoli, didn't sign greinke, failed to acquire dickey....

vCash
    rangers failed once again.....lost hamilton, lost napoli, didn't sign greinke, failed to acquire dickey....
    AL West is a toss up literally -- all teams have potential...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Johann View Post
    From the Catchers you listed, a bunch of them split time at first base.

And I don't think JPA will hurt this team as much as you guys think. He's a personality in the clubhouse.

Heck, the Giants had Brandon Crawford and Ryan Theriot/Arias in their lineup.
    And Pence was horrible for them in the regular season.
    He hit better than J.P. last year.

Who am I kidding though, like you said, he's a personality in the clubhouse; who cares if he's not very good at playing baseball?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by 13Lawrie13 View Post
    Alright, I don't think anyone needs to be reminded that J.P. is below-average defensively (-12.1 catcher defense rating over 2-and-a-bit seasons), so I'll just focus on the offensive (or overall in the case of WAR) side of the game.

Of the 25 catchers last season with at least 350 plate appearances, here is how J.P. ranks:

18th in wRC+ (this is the best hitting stat out there, and J.P. had an 89 wRC+ with the average hitter pre-determined at 100).
    18th in wOBA
    24th in BB%
    10th in BsR (fangraphs base-running stat, which would be good if J.P. weren't still a negative contributer in this category).
    7th in ISO.

He's above-average in one offensive ability; power. That's it. Overall, he is below-average both at the plate, and behind it.
    Believe me, I'm no JPA fan but I've posted this before from DrunkJaysFans and it actually paints a different picture before he went down at the end of July

Arencibia, thanks largely to his power– as expected– has perhaps been a more valuable player to the Jays this year than you’d believe, or that you [read: I] probably thought just a few weeks ago. He now sports a .317 wOBA, 97 wRC+ and 1.5 WAR per FanGraphs– which for the moment, amazingly, is higher than qualified catchers Mike Napoli, Ryan Doumit, Jesus Montero, and is equal to Carlos Santana.
    Obviously those stats only go until about July 31 but that's still pretty encouraging stuff.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by 13Lawrie13 View Post

18th in wOBA
    24th in BB%
    7th in ISO.

I never had the time to go and pull out all these stats, so thank you for taking your time and putting all this together. Every JP fan-boy should read this.

vCash
    I would have given up JPa and thrown in Dan Norris or something.

JPA, Norris, Syndergaard.

Kept D'Arnaud.

Page 13 of 35 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast