Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Hybrid View

vCash

This Year vs. Last

With the Bynum situation so...tenuous...I'd like to get a feel for where fans here think the Sixers are, in the scheme of things.

I mean, obviously, this team was ultimately designed to work around him. Inside out... Some guys who could get him the ball down low, guys who could knock down 10 footers when he became doubled, outside threats to really stretch things, yada yada yada. But it doesn't so much matter what we DON'T have; what DO we have now?

For starters, and to kick things off, I'd like to compare us to something tangible: last year's team. I contend that while we didn't have superstars on last year's squad...Doug got them to play "the right way". We defended well...rebounded...ran...all those good things. We were a MUCH MUCH better "team" last year.

Indeed, we are lacking in certain areas this year. Among them:

THE BENCH

Last year this may have been our biggest Ace in the Hole. Our bench was very, very good. Fourth in the league in scoring in fact. And when Evan was on the bench our rebounding was solid and defense better than average. This year our bench ranks 24th. Once Evan and Thad were promoted, and replaced on the pine with very average role players, we lost that edge. Take away our Sixth Man of the Year candidate (leading scorer on the team and one of the league's most proficient in the 4th quarter) - guess what? Pffffft!

FAST BREAK

Remove Iggy (lethal)...remove Lou (automatic to the charity stripe)...remove Brand (rebounds)...and our FastBreak, once FEARED in the league, slips from 8th last year to EIGHTEENTH this year. Yuck.

REBOUNDING

The aforementioned board game. Last year we overachieved (imo) with a relatively small squad and came in 7th in the league. This year we got bigger (Kwame), wiser (Lavoy) and yet we have fallen to twentieth. What gives?

LEADERSHIP

We have none. Last year our defense was crazy aggressive (thanks to Iggy setting the tone), as was our offense (thanks to our Little Warrior) and our front court competed hard (Brand). Each great examples of how to play tough every night. All gone. Replaced with an underachieving giant (Kwame), a pouting weirdo (Evan), and an energetic but non-effective JRich and what do you have? No identity. Thi team is flat as a pancake.

And so the ingredients which make-up a good non-superstar team are all missing: ball control (boards), mismatches (bench) and super-high percentage opportunities (break). Add it all together...throw in no character whatsoever...guess what you got?

Us.

vCash
    Bynum changes everything. Should have waited 3 more days on this thread til his next update is released.

Your 2014 OPSL Champs!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by 2-ONE-5 View Post
    Bynum changes everything. Should have waited 3 more days on this thread til his next update is released.
    Pssst: He ain't back in three days.

How are we without him, since - ya know - we're without him?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by RickyPrior View Post
    Pssst: He ain't back in three days.

How are we without him, since - ya know - we're without him?
    because if we find out he will be ready to comeback in 4-6 weeks none of what you are asking really matters all that much.

Your 2014 OPSL Champs!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by 2-ONE-5 View Post
    because if we find out he will be ready to comeback in 4-6 weeks none of what you are asking really matters all that much.
    In 6 weeks our season will be HALF over. Discuss the topic or take a hike.

vCash
    In 6 weeks our season will be HALF over. Discuss the topic or take a hike.
    its part of the topic genious. this team is built to have BYNUM play Center which improves everything you are asking minus leadership

Your 2014 OPSL Champs!

vCash

This Year vs. Last

Its hard for me to say or agree that we were a much better team last year. I think our bigs were better because of brand, and lavoy played with more energy last season.

Our wings and offense are better this year with more 1 guy looking for his own shot... Evan and jrue really do look like the frontcourt of the future for the 1st time.

Bench: overrated need. Every good/contending team gets the bulk of their scoring from their starters.... Most teams have 3-4 main scorers and the rest is just gravy what u get from role players..... Id add that scoring was our biggest weakness whether it be our bench or starters..... We had no one looking to score on their own except lou and he was horribly inneficient at it.

Fast break.... This i agree with. Id love to see them hit the break harder.....

Rebounding.... Were we 7th in total rebounds or in reb rate? Cause i dont think we were a good rebounding team last year either.... But what gives could have something to do with brand being gone and obviously bynum not playing.... Our bigs are pretty bad at rebounding... Also vuc had a good reb rate.

Leadership..... Meh... Cant really measure that on the floor.

Overall u cant really say which team is better.... We lost our last 2 games without holiday, and i believe wed have at least beaten indiana with him..... This team should probably finish with a similar record without bynum.

gotta pay the troll toll

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BChydro86 View Post
    Its hard for me to say or agree that we were a much better team last year. I think our bigs were better because of brand, and lavoy played with more energy last season.
    Lavoy played with more energy...perhaps...because Brand was there. (Ahem.) Leadership.

Our wings and offense are better this year with more 1 guy looking for his own shot... Evan and jrue really do look like the frontcourt of the future for the 1st time.
    Not sure what you mean by BETTER. (Ah. I forgot who I was talking to: Mr. Offense.) We now have unqualified chuckers at the 3; is that what you mean? Haha.

Anyway, No...they aren't better players this year. They just work the ball in the halfcourt better maybe, but do little else.

Bench: overrated need. Every good/contending team gets the bulk of their scoring from their starters....
    Right. But we're not that Last year or this. And so if we can gain an edge off our bench - that's a good thing; not bad. Last year we scored nearly 40 points off the bench. Almost HALF our points. And that's an "overrated need"??

Rebounding.... Also vuc had a good reb rate.
    Not really the impact guy who comes to mind.

Leadership..... Meh... Cant really measure that on the floor.
    I forgot. You're not one who thinks young guys, away from Mom's house for the first time, traveling twice a week and used to getting everything they want from agents and colleges and women and posses...need any sort of leadership. No one to make an impact on them. Nah...you're probably right.

Take it from someone who knows. You could not BE any more wrong.

Overall u cant really say which team is better.... We lost our last 2 games without holiday, and i believe wed have at least beaten indiana with him..... This team should probably finish with a similar record without bynum.
    We had injuries last year, too. So.

We are 2-6 in our last 8. (Jrue's missed only 2 games.) We NOW go on the road for 3 weeks. We NOW start to play tough teams.

And we have TWO WINS against teams with winning records, all year.

We ain't getting to the 7th game of the second round of the playoffs. Period. Don't even bother arguing.

vCash
    Looking at the schedule thus far, I think it's kind of obvious that the Bynumless Sixers would have been better if Iguodala and Brand were still here. And I don't buy the nonsense that they would have held Jrue/ET back.

But while I personally wouldn't have traded for Bynum (it's not like the chronic knees or immaturity should be a revelation to anyone who has watched basketball), I can't totally blame the FO for making the move and am willing to admit it still might be a good move in the long run. I'm annoyed that Brand and Iggy aren't here because I'm not 100% convinced either of them really had to go to get Bynum. But even if I'm correct about that.....in the long run how much does that matter? We aren't much more likely to become a championship contender just because the aging Iggy and Brand are on the roster (unless Bynum can finish the season....cause then with Iggy and Brand we would have been scary...at least for 1-2 years).

I guess what has annoyed me thus far is how unwilling people have been to give Brand or Iggy the credit they deserved for how important they were to what success was enjoyed last season. It should be pretty obvious by now. They were both overpaid....Brand worse than Iggy....but it wasn't their fault....blame our parade of bad GM's.
    Last edited by wannabGM; 12-17-2012 at 12:21 PM.
    When you go out of the way just to hate...no one takes you seriously.

vCash
    Good topic...I will respond admitting that I have not compared any statistics (as yet)

Last year's team, I believe had a very sucessful run in the beginning based on two things: 1) Our schedule was light in the beginning, 2) our youth and ability to run got us a few extra wins

Basically, the schedule was so compacted that you played 4 or 5 games per week. The sixers, being younger for the most part than many teams, utilized that youth and had a very good record. some of the older teams (ex: boston) had a hard time running as much IMO...however, experience certainly worked in other team'sfavor later on

this year, we wanted Bynum to be the focal point of the offense and hired shooters to take those shots...of course, that has fallen apart...

IMO, last years squad > this years (minus bynum)

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Fred View Post
    Good topic...I will respond admitting that I have not compared any statistics (as yet)

Last year's team, I believe had a very sucessful run in the beginning based on two things: 1) Our schedule was light in the beginning, 2) our youth and ability to run got us a few extra wins

Basically, the schedule was so compacted that you played 4 or 5 games per week. The sixers, being younger for the most part than many teams, utilized that youth and had a very good record. some of the older teams (ex: boston) had a hard time running as much IMO...however, experience certainly worked in other team'sfavor later on

this year, we wanted Bynum to be the focal point of the offense and hired shooters to take those shots...of course, that has fallen apart...

IMO, last years squad > this years (minus bynum)
    Yup

2012 allstar

vCash
    We have a long way to go

2012 allstar

vCash
    like i said and im sure you are well aware of too, why not just wait til the 20th til we know what to expect with Bynum? you really couldnt wait 3 days? im sure you understand that Bynum addresses all of these current needs This team has.

Your 2014 OPSL Champs!

vCash
    Last years and it isn't even close. We lost all our defensive presence in the offseason.. Brand who was the defensive captain, Iggy who set the tone playing lockdown D and making plays, and even Jodie who helped set the tone playing tough D (picked the ball up full court, hustle plays, etc.). Now it is like everyone on the court has no interest in playing D and it shows in the scores. Bynum coming back will help offensively but it isn't going to solve ALL the problems on defense. That is my opinion..

vCash
    Pretty much agree with everything here, RP. I think we are noticeably worse than last year's team, for the reasons you mentioned. Our depth is weak, we play with no pride on defense, the fastbreak is essentially nonexistent, and the production from our big men is an embarrassment.

BUT...

Being worse this year than last year doesn't mean the franchise is worse off. I think the franchise is better off for biting the bullet and doing what they did in the offseason. With or without Bynum. And that's what matters more to me. So while some of the moves certainly haven't panned out, I still support the direction that the FO decided to go in.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast