Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Bo Sox Fan View Post
    The Marlins are a VERY GOOD comparison. Look at the supporting pieces from the 2012 Marlins opening day roster:

Marlins - Jays

Reyes - Reyes
    Stanton - Bautista
    Lee - Encarnacion
    H. Ramirez - Lowrie
    Morrison - Cabrera
    Bonifacio - Bonifiacio

Johnson - Johnson
    Sanchez - Dickey
    Buehrle - Buehrle
    Zambrano - Morrow
    Nolasco - Romero

Anyways, Drew is a nice 1 year bridge deal to our top hitting prospect SS/3B Xander Boegarts!
    I was going to watch louis ck before work, but now im all laughed out...
    Do The Twirk

vCash
    Its way too much cash but on a 1 year deal it's hard to really criticise it much. Good stopgap until their young talent comes up and takes over the job (I give it till the AS break, at the latest).

They didn't surrender any specs, just cash.... and it's only a 1 year deal, hard to complain.

Had to be done! Go T-Rex

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by StayOnBoard View Post
    Its way too much cash but on a 1 year deal it's hard to really criticise it much. Good stopgap until their young talent comes up and takes over the job (I give it till the AS break, at the latest).

They didn't surrender any specs, just cash.... and it's only a 1 year deal, hard to complain.
    nobody will be there to take his job besides iggy whos bad anyways. I think best case scenario is that Drew plays really well (like .800+ OPS well) and we can get a draft pick out of him, and Bogaerts plays SS starting in 2014.

vCash

Iglesias is likely never going to be ready to be an everyday AL SS in Boston. More like a D replacement. If a small market NL team gets him, he might start.

The other "guy" is XB, and he appears to be at best a 1-3 year option at SS, eventually going to 3B or LF. Not sure he comes up as a SS, but he could be ready for a cup of coffee in September. Marrero woudl be the next guy, but he's not ready until mid '15 or so, and may be moved to 2B anyhow.

So basically the cupboard is bare for a bit of time.

Either Drew gets dealt at the deadline/waiver period, or they offer him arb which he's liable to take unless he has a great year.

6/27/09: “We expect [Rondo] to play by the rules and be a leader as a point guard. We need him to be more of a leader,” Ainge said. “There were just a couple situations where he was late this year, I don’t know if he was sitting in his car, but showed up late and the rest of the team was there. We have team rules and you have to be on time. He was fined for being late, he said he was stuck in traffic, and it’s just unacceptable.”

Some jerks never learn.....

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by bagwell368:24784889

Iglesias is likely never going to be ready to be an everyday AL SS in Boston. More like a D replacement. If a small market NL team gets him, he might start.

The other "guy" is XB, and he appears to be at best a 1-3 year option at SS, eventually going to 3B or LF. Not sure he comes up as a SS, but he could be ready for a cup of coffee in September. Marrero woudl be the next guy, but he's not ready until mid '15 or so, and may be moved to 2B anyhow.

So basically the cupboard is bare for a bit of time.

Either Drew gets dealt at the deadline/waiver period, or they offer him arb which he's liable to take unless he has a great year.
    Xander has improved defensively. I think he'll stay at ss. I think he'll be peralta-ish defensively. Average/below average range sideways but good forward jumps and solid arm

lol, small kid got tripped by a tuba player

vCash
    Difference between Bogaerts and Peralta defensively is that the knock on Xander is not that he's bad defensively, he's actually quite athletic and has good range, it's that most scouts believe he'll outgrow the position due to his physique. Have you seen his body? He's a freak of nature.

vCash
    I would like the Cubs to trade for Andrew Miller. I think he'd be a dominant SP in the NL now.

vCash
    Victorino
    Ellsbury
    Pedroia
    Ortiz
    Napoli
    Middlebrooks
    Gomes
    Saltalamacchia
    Drew

looking pretty damn good to be honest

vCash
    It's only a 1 yr deal but definitely a large chunk of $$ handed out to a guy who's been nothing but hurt the past 2 seasons.
    Throughout his career he has put up some really high numbers offensively and if he could return to his form he could be a big help in reviving this team next season. We'll see.
    http://www.tumblr.com/tagged/oscar-taveras
    ~ Oscar Taveras ~ The next Phenom

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by DodgerPride000 View Post
    Victorino
    Ellsbury
    Pedroia
    Ortiz
    Napoli
    Middlebrooks
    Gomes
    Saltalamacchia
    Drew

looking pretty damn good to be honest
    Nits:

With those guys, Ells would lead-off, since he's the incumbent, and Victorino is almost a plaotoon guy. Plus Ells could well be dealt
    Napoli may not be here
    Gomes is probably platooning with Kalish
    Salty is probably (hopefully going to be dealt)
    Ortiz is liable to declining/regressing

Looks like 4th-7th in the AL in scoring rank.
    Last edited by bagwell368; 12-19-2012 at 09:13 AM.

6/27/09: “We expect [Rondo] to play by the rules and be a leader as a point guard. We need him to be more of a leader,” Ainge said. “There were just a couple situations where he was late this year, I don’t know if he was sitting in his car, but showed up late and the rest of the team was there. We have team rules and you have to be on time. He was fined for being late, he said he was stuck in traffic, and it’s just unacceptable.”

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by STL Don;24794085T
    hroughout his career he has put up some really high numbers offensively and if he could return to his form he could be a big help in reviving this team next season. We'll see.
    Career wise he's average or a smidge above offensively for a SS. He's had 2.5 seasons above average, and 3 below (1.5 of those essentially replacement level).

Unless he figures out how to go the other way in Fenway, he looks to be at best a 2.5 rWAR player. If he ends up hitting 42 2B's then he could be 3.5 rWAR guy, which would justify the cost.
    Last edited by bagwell368; 12-19-2012 at 12:12 PM.

vCash
    People do know Stephen Drew is a Boras client, right?

Of course he was going to be overpaid. The only reason he signed a one year deal is so he can re-establish his value, a common Boras tactic. Bourn will likely do the same thing.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by YoungStuna28 View Post
    People do know Stephen Drew is a Boras client, right?

Of course he was going to be overpaid. The only reason he signed a one year deal is so he can re-establish his value, a common Boras tactic. Bourn will likely do the same thing.
    I doubt teams were lining up to offer him multi-year deals.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeffy25 View Post
    I doubt teams were lining up to offer him multi-year deals.
    I'm sure he could have signed an affordable 2 year deal somewhere.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by bagwell368 View Post
    Nits:

With those guys, Ells would lead-off, since he's the incumbent, and Victorino is almost a plaotoon guy. Plus Ells could well be dealt
    Napoli may not be here
    Gomes is probably platooning with Kalish
    Salty is probably (hopefully going to be dealt)
    Ortiz is liable to declining/regressing

Looks like 4th-7th in the AL in scoring rank.
    everyone in the red sox nation has thought this for 3 years + now lol. Hopefully he just continues to prove everyone wrong, which I think he will.

lol, small kid got tripped by a tuba player

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast