Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by bagwell368 View Post
    Doubtful. I watch D2 hitters all the time that have more talent and a better approach at the plate. He's not even capable of hitting .215/.245/.235 in MLB this year as a regular, that negates his defense easily.

His value on this team would be as a plug in back up at 2B/3B/SS when guys need a blow, and late inning D at the same positions - in particular SS. As a regular/semi regular SS he'd be a black hole with the bat. In Boston there is a chance the fans could erode his D over time due to the very heavy booing he'd get for his bat. He's a NL small market guy all the way.
    This is what I've always said. No way can Boston fans appreciate a player like him. Many didnt like JD Drew and he was pretty darn good until his last season.

vCash
    Like this signing. Have always liked Drew, glad to have him on board.
    With the deepest of regrets I am announcing that I will be leaving Pro Sports Daily. No reason in particular but wanted to thank everyone for a great 6 years here. Lots of great discussion and good poll series as well. Also fun re-drafts. Best of luck to you all in the future.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ALMVPDUSTY View Post
    Second Wild card if we are extremely lucky (i.e., guys have career years on our team and injuries happen on other teams).
    you say lucky but i feel Oakland got "lucky" and they made the playoffs. I like our talent over Oakland.

Lester and Buccholz SHOULD be better than the garbage they gave us last year. Right?

Ellsbury in a contract year? Pedey and Ortiz healthy are damn good baseball players. BC has filled the roster with decent to above average talent imo. We dont have a SUPER star but we have some scrappers and guys who will play hard for Farrell.

I think a second wild card is easily an option
    Last edited by Nighthawk; 12-18-2012 at 01:02 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Nighthawk View Post
    you say lucky but i feel Oakland got "lucky" and they made the playoffs. I like our talent over Oakland.
    Oakland had Seattle to beat on, the rest of the AL East had us.

Lester and Buccholz SHOULD be better than the garbage they gave us last year. Right?
    Lester, yes. Buchholz? Innings are a big question mark IMO.

Ellsbury in a contract year? Pedey and Ortiz healthy are damn good baseball players. BC has filled the roster with decent to above average talent imo. We dont have a SUPER star but we have some scrappers and guys who will play hard for Farrell.
    Odds are very good either Ortiz or Pedroia will miss games (Pedey) or decline (Ortiz).

As good as I feel about not going into battle with Iglesias as the opening day SS, there are question marks all over the place:

Bailey
    Aceves
    Melancon
    Lackey
    Buchholz
    Dempster
    Doubront
    Napoli (or whomever)
    Pedroia
    Drew
    WMB
    Ells
    Victorino
    Lavarnway
    Ortiz

I think the second WC, luck/regression/decline being average for us this year is a reach. If it's anything like '11 and '12, then even 83 wins is asking a lot.

6/27/09: “We expect [Rondo] to play by the rules and be a leader as a point guard. We need him to be more of a leader,” Ainge said. “There were just a couple situations where he was late this year, I don’t know if he was sitting in his car, but showed up late and the rest of the team was there. We have team rules and you have to be on time. He was fined for being late, he said he was stuck in traffic, and it’s just unacceptable.”

Some jerks never learn.....

vCash
    If were calling Ortiz, Pedroia, Dempster, Napoli, Drew, among others question marks, then there's 30 teams in the MLB with 10 or more "question marks" on their roster

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Seguin View Post
    If were calling Ortiz, Pedroia, Dempster, Napoli, Drew, among others question marks, then there's 30 teams in the MLB with 10 or more "question marks" on their roster
    BTW, it's "we're". The Sox are calling Napoli a question mark, are they not? Isn't Ortiz aging and declining from the end of his 2007 peak, plus he missed lots of games last year. Drew has been injured quite a bit the past two years and hasn't played well since 2010. Buchholz has one great year in his career only, Lester has been in decline for a couple of years. Lackey didn't pitch last year, and poorly the year before. Ellsbury was hurt and barely played in 2 of his last 3 years. WMB was injured and doesn't know how to take a walk. Dempster wasn't very good in the AL, and he's old. Victorino had a poor year last year. Lavarnway hasn't proved he's capable of being a steady ML catcher. On and on....

Aren't you aware of these things? Or are you ignoring them for the sake of argument?

This is a Red Sox forum. We are concerned with the Red Sox here. The prior two years history of returning players, and regressions of other new to the Sox players such as Victorino and Dempster in the AL among others are concerns for Sox fans - or should be.
    Last edited by bagwell368; 12-18-2012 at 03:11 PM.

6/27/09: “We expect [Rondo] to play by the rules and be a leader as a point guard. We need him to be more of a leader,” Ainge said. “There were just a couple situations where he was late this year, I don’t know if he was sitting in his car, but showed up late and the rest of the team was there. We have team rules and you have to be on time. He was fined for being late, he said he was stuck in traffic, and it’s just unacceptable.”

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Nighthawk View Post

Oakland has some of the best young starting pitching in the game.

And no, I don't see a reason why Lester and Buchholz would be any better next year. Enlighten me please!

vCash
    I think you can say Lester is probably going to bounce back and Buchholz probably put up better numbers. Lester's year was a career worst and Buchholz's numbers were damn close.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by bagwell368 View Post
    BTW, it's "we're". The Sox are calling Napoli a question mark, are they not? Isn't Ortiz aging and declining from the end of his 2007 peak, plus he missed lots of games last year. Drew has been injured quite a bit the past two years and hasn't played well since 2010. Buchholz has one great year in his career only, Lester has been in decline for a couple of years. Lackey didn't pitch last year, and poorly the year before. Ellsbury was hurt and barely played in 2 of his last 3 years. WMB was injured and doesn't know how to take a walk. Dempster wasn't very good in the AL, and he's old. Victorino had a poor year last year. Lavarnway hasn't proved he's capable of being a steady ML catcher. On and on....

Aren't you aware of these things? Or are you ignoring them for the sake of argument?

This is a Red Sox forum. We are concerned with the Red Sox here. The prior two years history of returning players, and regressions of other new to the Sox players such as Victorino and Dempster in the AL among others are concerns for Sox fans - or should be.
    And it is "more than" and "less than", not "more then".

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by sawxfan View Post
    And it is "more than" and "less than", not "more then".
    I agree, in your case it's "less than". Two posts in six weeks and this is the best you have....

Let's all remember what a very serious poster you really are....

vCash
    There is no evidence to suggest Lester or Buchholz will suddenly be good... Lester has been going down the drain for 3 straight years despite all his talking about "I went really hard this offseason" and "Yeah I'm the leader of the staff now."
    Buchholz has great stuff but he can't stay on the mound, and his numbers weren't very good last year even when he was.

This irrational optimism from fellow Sox fans is just plain amusing.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ALMVPDUSTY View Post
    There is no evidence to suggest Lester or Buchholz will suddenly be good... Lester has been going down the drain for 3 straight years despite all his talking about "I went really hard this offseason" and "Yeah I'm the leader of the staff now."
    Buchholz has great stuff but he can't stay on the mound, and his numbers weren't very good last year even when he was.

This irrational optimism from fellow Sox fans is just plain amusing.
    Sometimes looking at pitchers by year is misleading. Here are the months Lester has been above the AL average ERA since the start of 2010:

2010:

May 1.84
    Jun 2.62
    Jul 3.63
    Aug 3.49
    Sep 3.79

2011:

Apr 2.52
    Jun 2.31
    Jul 1.56
    Aug 2.78

2012:

Jun 4.01
    Aug 3.59
    Sep 3.96

6 out of his 18 months were not that good. 4 of those were under 4.75, 2 were over.

In those same 3 years Sanchez was over an ERA of 4.75 (even in the wimpy divisions he pitched in) 5 times:

If Lester is going down the drain, he'll meet Sanchez who is already there.

vCash

Red Sox Sign Stephen Drew

I think I am the optimist..

I think Lackey will be servicable. Not worth his money, but decent like his first year here.

WMB will be solid.

Pedroia will kill it while battling through all hi injuries.

Ortiz will do well.

Doubront will take another step in the right direction.

Napoli will kill it at Fenway and have a very good year.

Victorino will be servicable. Again, not worth the money, but they overpaid for shorter years.

Drew will be a surprise to people. I think hell be healthy and do well.

Ellsbury, as much as I hate the guy, will kill it.

I think we win 83-86 games and are in play for that second WC.

I think a tandem of Gomes and Kalish will have solid numbers and I can't wait to see what Kalish can do.

Time will tell. Obviously injuries are always a concern.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Tragedy View Post
    I think I am the optimist..

I think Lackey will be servicable. Not worth his money, but decent like his first year here.

WMB will be solid.

Pedroia will kill it while battling through all hi injuries.

Ortiz will do well.

Doubront will take another step in the right direction.

Napoli will kill it at Fenway and have a very good year.

Victorino will be servicable. Again, not worth the money, but they overpaid for shorter years.

Drew will be a surprise to people. I think hell be healthy and do well.

Ellsbury, as much as I hate the guy, will kill it.

I think we win 83-86 games and are in play for that second WC.

I think a tandem of Gomes and Kalish will have solid numbers and I can't wait to see what Kalish can do.

Time will tell. Obviously injuries are always a concern.
    To keep it simple, if Dempster, Lester, and Buchholz all have a pretty good seasons and play up or nearly to their potential they'll be contending for the 2nd WC spot. This is assuming that the offense is probably in the top 10 production wise this season as well.

vCash
    I wish we signed him to a 3 year 25 mill deal. Give us time to really devolp Jose and let him earn the job instead of handing it to him. Im not totally against resigning Ellsbury like all of you are. I mean is the guy really that bad? Hes a great Leadoff hitter. And as we know has the potential to hit 30 HR

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast