Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by bruins>habs View Post
    oh okay....thanks for the explanation, just a question also, were his BA actually considered high during his playing days ? Like .250-.260 be equivalent to .300 now, you know what i mean ?
    Higher than now, but not by much

For instance in 1985 the average NL SS had a slash of: .255/.309/.347

In 2005, it was .265/.317/.379 or (.010/.008/.032) higher now

in 1985, one of Ozzie's best years he was: .276/.355/.361

his overall career slash was: .262/.337/.328 - much better than '85 or '05 in OBP, which given where he batted more than makes up for his meh SLG and BA IMO.

6/27/09: “We expect [Rondo] to play by the rules and be a leader as a point guard. We need him to be more of a leader,” Ainge said. “There were just a couple situations where he was late this year, I don’t know if he was sitting in his car, but showed up late and the rest of the team was there. We have team rules and you have to be on time. He was fined for being late, he said he was stuck in traffic, and it’s just unacceptable.”

Some jerks never learn.....

vCash
    I like the signing. Drew will be better than anything Iglesias could dream of giving us(hitting). 9m is high but 1 year is perfect.

I dont know what to make of all these signings or this lineup

Ells
    Victorino
    Pedey
    Ortiz
    WMB
    Napoli
    Gomes
    Drew
    Ross

Lester
    Buccholz
    Dempster
    Doubront
    Lackey

Can that make the playoffs?

vCash

vCash
    Too much money for an unneeded guy.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Nighthawk View Post
    I like the signing. Drew will be better than anything Iglesias could dream of giving us(hitting). 9m is high but 1 year is perfect.

I dont know what to make of all these signings or this lineup

Ells
    Victorino
    Pedey
    Ortiz
    WMB
    Napoli
    Gomes
    Drew
    Ross

Lester
    Buccholz
    Dempster
    Doubront
    Lackey

Can that make the playoffs?
    Second Wild card if we are extremely lucky (i.e., guys have career years on our team and injuries happen on other teams).

vCash
    That being said, this is a solid signing. They have money to burn, SS is an actual area of need (in the short term), and I've always liked Stephen Drew.

Victorino was a waste of money. Sanchez, Haren or Greinke would have fit our actual needs better.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Nomar View Post
    completely disagree. First it is one year and just money, not your money right?

a career .330 wOBA guy with average D is much better than anything we have now. Put him in fenway his BABIP probably goes up, could hit .275 avg and a .345 OBP I'll take that potential
    Jackie Bradley Junior.... that is all

vCash
    HAHAHAHAHA unneeded as in were better off starting a guy to hit .220 and save us a couple runs and baserunners. LMAO

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PapelbonLester View Post
    HAHAHAHAHA unneeded as in were better off starting a guy to hit .220 and save us a couple runs and baserunners. LMAO
    Unneeded as in hes a bit better than the vale we get from Iglesias' defense and we arent making the playoffs either way.
    Last edited by Nomar; 12-18-2012 at 12:40 AM.

vCash
    Just because odds are far against this team making the playoffs doesn't mean they should not acquire the best talent they can without hurting the team long term. Crazy things happen in baseball. I'd say he's more than "a bit better than Iglesias", Iglesias is a negative value. Drew is a good bounce back candidate. If Drew's playing well they will be able to trade him for a decent return.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by -Lavigne43- View Post
    Just because odds are far against this team making the playoffs doesn't mean they should not acquire the best talent they can without hurting the team long term. Crazy things happen in baseball. I'd say he's more than "a bit better than Iglesias", Iglesias is a negative value. Drew is a good bounce back candidate. If Drew's playing well they will be able to trade him for a decent return.
    Theres also a chance Iggy is a bit better than expected. I never said I'd rather not have them sign him, just that 9M is pretty steep for a guy like Drew. But price isnt really a factor for us if its a one/two yr commitment. I also agree with you in terms of him being a bounceback candidate. .794 career home OPS should translate fairly well to Fenway if he can use the monster and the other AL East parks are more friendly for hitting than the AL West parks outside of AZ. I wouldve thought he'd get 6M, but SS are in short supply.

vCash
    Unneeded? So the two stooges get the job? Saves money, but creates chaos on the diamond.

6/27/09: “We expect [Rondo] to play by the rules and be a leader as a point guard. We need him to be more of a leader,” Ainge said. “There were just a couple situations where he was late this year, I don’t know if he was sitting in his car, but showed up late and the rest of the team was there. We have team rules and you have to be on time. He was fined for being late, he said he was stuck in traffic, and it’s just unacceptable.”

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ALMVPDUSTY View Post
    That being said, this is a solid signing. They have money to burn, SS is an actual area of need (in the short term), and I've always liked Stephen Drew.

Victorino was a waste of money. Sanchez, Haren or Greinke would have fit our actual needs better.
    Victorino a waste? Not after Ellsbury gets dealt/leaves. JBJ is showing signs to me of not being ready for some time if ever as well.

vCash
    Theres also a chance Iggy is a bit better than expected.
    Doubtful. I watch D2 hitters all the time that have more talent and a better approach at the plate. He's not even capable of hitting .215/.245/.235 in MLB this year as a regular, that negates his defense easily.

His value on this team would be as a plug in back up at 2B/3B/SS when guys need a blow, and late inning D at the same positions - in particular SS. As a regular/semi regular SS he'd be a black hole with the bat. In Boston there is a chance the fans could erode his D over time due to the very heavy booing he'd get for his bat. He's a NL small market guy all the way.

vCash
    This money on a one year deal doesn't even matter. Relax about the money.

I like the signing. Gives them a good bounce back candidate and a LH bat that they needed for balance. Gives you a clear #9 hitter.

Iglesias couldn't even start for the worst teams in the league right now. Guy may never be ready to hit.

They are bridging the gap to the young talent with short veteran deals. Probably won't be contenders this season but I don't mind the signings.

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast